Atlanta United reports more than 22,000 season tickets sold

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by GaSouthern, Aug 19, 2016.

1. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    If Atlanta doesn't sell even 1 more season ticket and doesn't sell a single 1 game ticket they will still have the 6th highest average attendance (based on 2015 averages). They would only have to have an additional 2k per game to move up to 4th.
    Not bad IMO.

With Orlando moving into a 25.5k stadium next year they have a very high possibility of being #2 for the 2017 season.

2. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I take it you've not been there in, oh, say, 3 decades? Not. Worth it.

Duh, ALL of them! It's one franchise that represents three metro areas! Soon it will all be MLS United! Resistance is futile!

CAllen91 repped this.
  3. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I went to Leigon Field when the USWNT played last. It's true that it needs to be imploded and rebuilt. However, it could still be used for an Atlanta game once a year.

4. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @GaSouthern

Welcome to the ranks of the full-time MLS board posters. I've merged the two threads you started on this topic into one. The interested parties will find it.

GaSouthern repped this.
  6. Bill63

Bill63 Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Interested? Maybe? Can we start talking about WWII hardware advancements? I learn more shib that way and it's easier than, you know, actually reading.

7. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #82 CeltTexan, Aug 26, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    I was at the U.S. vs. Ecuador sendoff match in March of '02 at Legion Field. While I completely understand what your are looking to say to anyone reading on Birmingham Alabama these days I must state that all us in the Sam's Army section were told about where the team was having the after party at that night in downtown Birmingham and many of us U.S. supporters, who had already had a terrific Southern style tailgate in the massive Legion Field parking lot, we made it to said bar and tore the night up drinking and playing Golden Tee with Clint Mathis, Maze, Cobi and the rest of the guys and all their mamitas that night. No problems at all. I even slept in my old Xterra downtown as we were out late as fuk with some of the team. Again no problems. It can be hoodariffic in Birmingham but I still think Legion Field can and should be a rally kinda of Stadium each year for either our Nats or a Southern style MLS league or Open Cup match between Atlanta and Houston.

If I was Don Garber I would arrange at Legion Field at the minimum every Feb. a four team encounter in preseason with Orlando, Atlanta, Dallas and Houston. Allowing soccer fans from Louisiana, Tennessee, Arkansas, Mississippi, Bama and the Redneck Rivera of Florida access to MLS teams and growing the sport organically in the Deep South. The sport is strong down here. Just not at the college or pro levels and we can change this in time.

8. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's more up to the teams than to the commissioner, but I think something like this could become a great preseason thing for the MLS gap in that region. There may be some extra expense, but it could be much better attended than other training games.

9. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention that during the often chided cold months of the MLS off season, the Deep South is where MLS teams from all fronts could come together to train at the least and at the most hold some sort of pre season/offseason tournament.
    I am just a Southerner, old inner city coach who thinks that the professional game is the very specific inroad to growing the beautiful game in the Southern States. I mean the sport sells itself. With a good game n a good crowd with drums n some songs and people able to tailgate, which us Southerners are recognized as being well experienced at, and then have the Southern States teams in MLS plus the USL n NASL teams perhaps.
    Such a tournament grows the game organically.
    Garber and our MLS HQ often speak of growing the MLS footprint, check! Got it, then start with Region III where our greatest footballer has come from, Dempsey from Texas and our greatest defender has come from Eddie Pope from North Carolina.

10. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally agree, except you misspelled Landon Donovan. And he's from southern California.

jayd8888, superdave and Mattbro repped this.
  11. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Except you misspelled Mia Hamm. She's from Alabama.

12. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    She's from a military family. How long was she there? Half of the states in the country and a quarter of the countries around the world can claim her.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  13. SonicDeathMonkey

Atlanta United
    Jun 24, 2008
    Conyers, Ga.
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at that game. Tim Howard's first cap and shutout, Clint got a red, and Eddie Lewis scored the winner.

Ahhhh memories.

LouisianaViking07/09 and CeltTexan repped this.
  14. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Elementary my dear Sitruc.

First spotted playing with a soccer ball in Italy, aged 2.

Joined her first soccer team in Wichita, Texas at age 5.

Split end and kicker on the football team at Middle School in Wichita.

North Texas regional team when she was 14.

High school freshman and sophomore for Notre Dame Catholic High School in Wichita Falls.

Then attended Lake Braddock Secondary School in Burke, Virginia for one year, and helped the Lake Braddock soccer team win the 1989 state championships.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  15. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    That was kinda sorta my point.

16. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    She was born in Selma, AL. She's ours.

17. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What also needs to occur with our Region III MLS teams is to somehow grow the NCAA and or club teams in the South with a regional Southerners Cup contested by both the NCAA teams like South Carolina, Kentucky, Clemson and so on with Texas, Texas A&M, U of H, SFA, Baylor, Texas Tech, LSU, Tennessee, Bama, Georgia, Florida, FSU and so on with club teams. The rivalries are already in place, just throw in Southern pride, Southern tailgating and some media coverage and each Spring there can be a football season that has some teeth to it's soccer following.

Putting Euro club careers aside and scoring goals that beat Juventus aside.
    Tie breaker goes to Clint Dempsey from Texas. 22 men have scored goals in 3 different World Cups. Clint Dempsey is now #23. A fact that Landon, and I love the dude, did not achieve. Peace.

18. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had your back.

19. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Seattle hold the record for a MLS debut season at 22k.

20. Kev_K

Kev_K Member

Atl Utd
    Mar 21, 2008
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Atl Utd's season ticket map, there are only 1,363 STs remaining as of 10/03. I'm sure they are holding some back for single-game sales, but we should see a waiting list very soon for STs unless they open up parts of the 300-level which would put capacity above the current ~45,000.

whiteonrice04 and GaSouthern repped this.
  21. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    #97 whiteonrice04, Oct 3, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    Looks like another 4 sold since you added up 24 minutes ago. I got 1359.
    I wonder how many the are keeping for single game? Looks like Seattle only sales around 4-5k single game tickets for most games. As the last numbers I have seen say they have 36k season tickets and their normal games have ~40k.

22. GaSouthern

GaSouthern Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    It was 1,387 six hours ago

whiteonrice04 repped this.
  23. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    Thats an average of 4 per hour, but the last 24 minutes saw another 4.
    We should keep an eye on it to see how many they average over a course of a week.

Kev_K repped this.
  24. Zxcv

Zxcv Member+

Feb 22, 2012
    I'd hope that Atlanta sticks to a hard cap, and maybe opens the stadium up for 1 game (first one in season 1, then whatever makes most sense after that).