Post-match: ATL v Chicago

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by Reccossu, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    comments?

The red card really changed the course of the match, so hard to take too much from this, but the team looked great and the crowd looked great too.

Because united are built for speed they didn't look like they were clicking on creating chances against the bunker, but Martinez is really crafty.

2. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    We whooped that a$$. It was a clear red. Chicago was getting beat bad.

Redmaynard and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  3. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I disagree about the red, as it didn't seem like a clear breakaway to me. But I don't think that would've affected the final outcome, anyway. Just the score.

Yes, Atlanta played a little more timid that you'd expect the rest of the first half. You could see Coach Martino talking through Almiron and Pirez as they adjusted strategy in seeing how the 10-man Fire line-up would take shape. I think they were trying to figure a way to leave three in the back but found themselves still susceptible to the break away, so they waited until the half, talked shop during the break, and then came out with more of the original game plan but with fewer runs down the right side.

That being said Chicago looked better than last year, especially for a team down a man 15 mins in. The scoreline was flattering to Atlanta as the Fire grew tired chasing the game late. They should be a good 10-15 points better this season, I imagine.

Gressel looked much stronger and I think he's finding a better niche between Carmona and Almiron as they get more time together. Looked comfortable chasing the play on either side of the field and did well to balance the attack based on wherever Miguel went. Glad to see Tito get on the score sheet, too.

4. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ATL plays better stuff than any other team in this league and it really isn't close.

Every other game I've seen is mostly a disjointed, bootball slugfest. But as I said in the PBP thread, ATL looks like a well taught Argentinian club.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  5. LosYunai

LosYunai Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Miami/Cartagena
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I feel like this team can bring in so many new fans to MLS, they play really atractive football.
    Im not a huge MLS fan myself, but it try to watch games when i can and im always interested in the development of the league, but i find myself so atracted to this team, that im prob gonna watch every single game.

Maybe im getting ahead of myelf but i just wanted to say congratulations on having an awesome team and crowd, with only three games played youve set a standard.

GoDawgsGo and GunnerJacket repped this.
  6. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Thank you, kind sir. We're pleasantly surprised at how well they're playing, as well. At least, managing to look this good so quickly. This is the style of ball we (dare I say) typically see from our peers in LMX.

Now I'm curious to see how well it translates into the slightly larger field and artificial turf at MBS.

7. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Is BD not turf? I was told that but don't know for sure.

8. lemons

lemons Member

United States
    Nov 20, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    My thoughts after recovering from yesterday:

We are very, very good.

9. LosYunai

LosYunai Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Miami/Cartagena
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    well, the larger field should help the style of play, the turf?
    do you guys believe in the "high tech turf" ?

10. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I do believe that Arthur Blank will buy the best turf available in the known universe. Will it be as good as real veggie grass? Um ...

11. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    This was my first time watching Atlanta. I have not been keeping up much with MLS. I did not even know until the start of the game that Atlanta had obtained the service of Tata Martino. Atlanta looked great. Their spacing and ball movement reminded my a lot of Argentina under Martino, just a bit slower and not quite as smooth, but still very attractive and effective. Atlanta has done a good job of getting good young South American talent. I wonder how much was signed before vs after Martino.

I certainly look forward to seeing more of Atlanta.

12. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    They put in a natural surface for soccer.

13. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really. The field was already natural. They took out the turf sidelines for pointy ball and had to demo the concrete underneath, and then laid down natural on top for United games. United is paying to have the concrete and new artificial put down for football after we are done, and also paying for an entire new natural grass field. Precision Turf did all that work and also the renovations when we're done as well as putting in the new surface at MBS.

Mach1 repped this.
  14. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe, after that first goal, the outcome was only a matter of time. The red - yes, I think it was a red - was BECAUSE Martinez was about through, and we've seen how deadly he can be one-on-one. He's through, he'll score that, and the CB certainly did tug him back.

After that, I enjoyed watching ATL exhaust the ten-man Chicago squad, making them cover too much ground, never really touch the ball, shift and shift and shift. It was such lovely, deadly game management. Chicago were guaranteed to be exhausted by the second half, and sure enough, at the hour mark, they began to wilt and that's when the three goals came.

I'm also amazed at how much ground Garza covers. I don't think anyone on that team covers as much ground.

Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  15. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Indeed, Garza was at his best for Atlanta so far this season. (Aiming to impress Coach Arena, perhaps?) Again, it helped in that though United stayed at 4 in the back the 10-men Fire allowed the outside backs greater opportunity to push forward. How many of those cross-field passes would find 2 Atlanta players wide open, both hugging the sideline?!

But, yes, once that first goal went in you knew the home team was gonna press to ensure they sealed this deal. Coach said he wanted to go into the long swing of road games with momentum and confidence, so I'd say mission accomplished.

Now we just have to pray no one gets injured on international duty.

16. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Been very encouraged with the first few games. When the team was announced I was expecting a typical expansion team-like season, but it looks like these guys could do something special. If I have any concerns with the team right now, it's with the depth. We have no idea right now how good it is, especially on the back line. I'm sure we'll find out soon enough. If the backups can hold their own, it could make for a hell of a season.

lemons repped this.
  17. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depth wise we just picked up another attacking player - from Orlando? I don't know him though. Would love to see some more FBs because that will be crucial

18. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Depth might be an issue on the back line. I am not familiar enough with the roster to really know, but it's where I suspect any needs would be.

19. snahdog

snahdog Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Atlanta
    Hard to judge this game because of the red. But we played well nonetheless. I did however see some gaps in defense from time to time that, if the pass had come, would have resulted in some pretty good opportunities for Chicago.

20. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When we play teams like Dallas/Portland/TFC things will be different, for sure.

21. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Thanks for this! Having watched a few other MLS matches this season, I tend to agree that AUFC ball is more attractive (and, as of right now, more effective, but we'll see) than the rest of the league. Martino's Liga experience has definitely guided us past the hoof/hopers, and I'm confident we can stay there.