ATL UTD trying to sell 70K AGAIN for 1st playoff game...

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by Coyote89, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017
    Just got a pre-sale offer for the first playoff game and the promo code is for the corners and endzone sections of the 300 level. I fear they may be getting overly ambitious by assuming they can sell the entire stadium, rather than the 42,500 soccer configuration, for this game:
    • A knockout round playoff game would be on a weeknight (Wed Oct 25 or Thurs Oct 26)
    • It's just 3-4 days after they will have sold 70K for the home finale vs. Toronto
    • The lower bowl is not pre-sold because playoffs are not part of the season ticket package (at least not as far as I know)
    I hope they prove me wrong and we fill the place up, but it seems like wishful thinking to me that they could draw 70K on a weeknight, so close to the other 70K game, and without having 30,000 already in the bag via season ticket sales.

Am I wrong for thinking this could backfire and we end up with 20,000 empty seats?

2. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    50k for a weekday playoff game. I don't see that being a problem, but that's just me.

3. Mabee

Mabee Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jul 26, 2017
    I kind of disagree with the numbers. For Toronto most of the tickets were given away to founding members. Founding members were given 2 tickets for every season ticket to be used at a select few games at MBS. The Orlando City and Toronto games were the only weekend games that these free tickets could be used for. I ordered mine a day or two late (I believe before the tickets went onsale to the public) and it was mostly filled already. So I don't know how many tickets actually needed to be "sold" to reach 70K.

The next thing is season ticket holders get the first game free. So buying extra tickets is gravy since we don't have to buy the first set.

All that points to the fact that the general public demand is still unknown. I think more people will be interested in getting playoff tickets. Since Atlanta would be making little money due to ticket sales on the first round playoff game, they are opening it up to get as much in ticket sales as possible. Do I expect 70K for a first round game? Nope, but I think getting 60K would make management happy plus it is still more people than most teams are used to playing in front of, actually it's about 3x more so it will be one hell of an intimidating environment even with some empty seats at the top.

4. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    61,004 all time MLS playoff crowd (non MLS CUP), last year in Montreal

61,316 MLS CUP, 2002 in New England

Maybe you could break both this year.

5. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    We're not yet assured of having that game at home. What happens if <knocks on wood> we slip to 5th?

As far as opening the stadium up, I see no problems with it. There's no shame in 80% attendance, and certainly none in having 50-60K at your stadium. The fans of other teams like to try to hang an unachieveable standard over our heads (we must sell out every game or they act like we're in a cavern), but AFAIC that's their problem.

6. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017
    Not sure exactly what it means, but only about half the sections in the 300 level are available for sale for the first playoff game. Same goes for the pre-sale they had for group ticket buyers a few days ago. None of the more desirable sections are even for sale to the general public. So, my best guess is that they are pretty confident they will fill the entire lower bowl, plus mezzanine and upper sideline sections, based on the "extras" that have or will be purchased by season ticket holders. Season ticket holders had a chance to order extra playoff tickets weeks ago so the club probably already has a good idea of how many are in the bag.

In short, at long as ATL UTD doesn't totally implode and squander the chance to host a playoff game, I think the 61K playoff record could fall. Seemed overly-ambitious when they first announced they'd open up the entire stadium, but not anymore.