Athletic Club (AC) St. Louis

Discussion in 'St Louis FC' started by StlSpursFan, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you seen the USL conference? They've got Portland, Tampa, and Puerto Rico.

2. Monarch Bay Beachbum

Apr 5, 2004
    The OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    STL to Carolina...731
    STL to Baltimor...828
    STL to Miami.......1226
    STL to Vancouver..2191
    STL to Monteral...1101

3. FrankMiller

FrankMiller New Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Makes me even more annoyed StL isn't in MLS... there are like four MLS teams closer than the nearest USL/NASL team.

4. StlSpursFan

StlSpursFan Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Da 314
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Apparently big news coming out tomorrow! Hopefully a schedule or at least opening day game announced, better yet a big time player!

5. KyleScarborough

KyleScarborough New Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Washington, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm banking on opening fixture, if not the entire schedule.

I was chatting with a team rep at the Athletica open house and he told me it's hard to get that taken care of because so many clubs use their fields with other sports teams, whereas our clubs only have to worry about each other's matches since AB Park is club owned (or controlled, anyway).

6. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  7. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Aww.... how can I be at the Athletica game in Chicago and ACSTL's inaugural game at the same time? =-( And this'll probably happen more than once each season....
    I guess the inauguration takes precedent over the rivalry. Though it does worry me we don't have an opponent yet for that game.... Provisional indeed.

8. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It seems AC St. Louis is really getting into the spirit of things. Check out their recent Facebook entry:

Who wants to design the 1st ever combo scarf design for AC St. Louis & Athletica? Simply post your design on the Athletica Facebook Fan Page & the players / coaches for AC St. Louis / Athletica will pick the winner. The deadline is 1 week from today (Jan 19th). The logos for this contest will be posted in a few mins. ...

9. KyleScarborough

Dec 3, 2009
    Washington, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok then, so, Eads Brigade, non-Chicago attending Laclede's Army members, my fellow rambling horde of RCS people, where are we sitting?

Section 20?

10. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. KyleScarborough

Dec 3, 2009
    Washington, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, lovely.

I didn't know what they did with the Ead's page since the MLS cantidate city link was taken down.

Cheers.

12. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
  13. KyleScarborough

Dec 3, 2009
    Washington, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not for nothin', but...and?

He's passionate and he cares. If his major fault was over-stretching himself, then yeah, maybe a good size club in Scotland of all places isn't the best place to start.

Put him in a baby league on an expansion team with a good group of people around him and he may surprise you.

I'll keep my judgment until the campaign is over.

Before then, he has my support, as does everyone else.

14. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kyle, I couldn't agree with you more on this! The only way to truly judge ones ability is to witness that person's attempts, failures and successes first hand.

15. FrankMiller

FrankMiller New Member

Aug 11, 2009
    On the other hand, we need to kill time somehow for three months.

16. Seph

Seph Member

Dec 2, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo., USA
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's right, we get to join all the other fans in the world in the game of "blame the coach," and he hasn't even lost a game yet.

17. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Wait, I thought it was "Blame the Ref" - just ask Sir Alex. ;)

18. FrankMiller

FrankMiller New Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Well, not for St Louis, but he's lost other games!

In all seriousness, I think it's perfectly valid to argue that he sucks. Sure, it's largely pointless, but this is a sports forum. Sports are ultimately "pointless" anyway, except for our amusement, so if it amuses people to speculate about a new coach I have no problem with that. I feel like it would be somewhat hypocritical to criticize the manner other people enjoy their games.

And on the topic of coach speculation, put me on the "he's probably good enough for an American Div II team" camp. With any luck, he's learned a thing or two along the way.

19. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    >Couple of thoughts.
    >I went to the USA-EL Salvador WCQ back in 89, the game BEFORE the famous T&T game. HOw much has the soccer park changed, if any ?
    >Can the park handle 2 proffesional teams at the same time?
    >Will both teams practice at the facility?
    >Will the team name be confused with the womans team in town? Like the womens team logo- too bad it couldn't be the same- no other city would have something like that.. Shared logo, even if different ownership groups would be interesting concept. Assuming you have 2 distinct crowds, you could still be selling the same jerseys, thus, selling more and try to spread more of them all over town. Bigger footprint , cut some overhead in productions, overhead
    >Is the ownership groups of both the mens and womens team different?
    >St Louis is a perfect fit for NASL or MLS 2... I really hope that whatever comes out of the USL-NASL battle, that a strong 2nd level league developes.
    >Heck, if you took all the existing USL teams, added the expansion teams in NY, TAMPA and STL and a comeback by Atlanta and maybe hope Charleston returns, you would have a league as large as MLS and that would be quite a footprint and could make for a much more interesting USOCup or in my wild dreams, a serious PRO league cup, replacing the MLS cup.
    >Good luck STL.. also schedule some pre-season games with KC, CHI or CLB as they are all georgraphically close.

20. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    >I went to the USA-EL Salvador WCQ back in 89, the game BEFORE the famous T&T game. HOw much has the soccer park changed, if any ?
    I wasn't even alive in 89, so I don't know how much it's changed, but my sense is not much. They are talking about expanding seating around the main field from 6k to 8-10k, and upgrading the locker rooms.

>Can the park handle 2 proffesional teams at the same time?
    I don't see why not.

>Will both teams practice at the facility?
    I would assume so - at least Athletica used it most of last season. And there are six total fields, so no worries about unnecessary overlap.

>Will the team name be confused with the womans team in town? Like the womens team logo- too bad it couldn't be the same- no other city would have something like that.. Shared logo, even if different ownership groups would be interesting concept. Assuming you have 2 distinct crowds, you could still be selling the same jerseys, thus, selling more and try to spread more of them all over town. Bigger footprint , cut some overhead in productions, overhead
    I don't think they'll get confused at all.
    Yeah, the logo fiasco is a real shame. Definitely a lack of foresight from SLSU (or, I guess it's ACSTL now). The potential for selling like you suggested would have been excellent.

>Is the ownership groups of both the mens and womens team different?
    NO - big no, same group. ;-)

>St Louis is a perfect fit for NASL or MLS 2... I really hope that whatever comes out of the USL-NASL battle, that a strong 2nd level league developes.
    >Heck, if you took all the existing USL teams, added the expansion teams in NY, TAMPA and STL and a comeback by Atlanta and maybe hope Charleston returns, you would have a league as large as MLS and that would be quite a footprint and could make for a much more interesting USOCup or in my wild dreams, a serious PRO league cup, replacing the MLS cup.
    Might want to read around a bit - MLS 2 is highly unlikely, D2 soccer in the US is very secure for at least this year, and probably will be next year as well since the two opposing groups now have a full year instead of a few months to put good plans together. The NASL "group" has eleven teams "ready" to play next season.

>Good luck STL.. also schedule some pre-season games with KC, CHI or CLB as they are all georgraphically close.
    Thanks! And yeah, getting some games against those teams - CHI especially - would be excellent.

21. dmelsh

dmelsh New Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Lawrence / St. Louis
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah! Its offical now, I have finally moved back to St. Louis and into the Fenton area after 6 years away. Perfect timing to support the ACSTL. Cannot wait to be yelling next to everyone with a few good beers in me.

Cheers, and GO ACSTL.

22. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL! I didn't even know this AC St.Louis forum existed on BS until now.

I'm not really into lower tier men's soccer mainly because I've never heard of any of the players but good luck to you guys. :)

By how much do you think you'll outdraw the Athletica?