ATHLETIC BILBAO v REAL MADRID | La Liga - Matchday 28| 18.03.2017 | 16:14 CET

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Eddie, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Some games need that. Maybe you missed when he was our best player in Cup semis n finals. Ever thought ZZ asked him to drop deeper in 2nd half? Not everyone can have 0 defensive duties like ronaldo. And when he has invisible games and 0 defensive effort, that's even worse!

natenate101 and Oscar repped this.
  2. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    It's like some people didn't see what happened or something. Maybe if all 3 of them helped out in defense, then maybe Bale could have been more active in the attack as well (and no, I'm not blaming Benz or Ronaldo for Bale's lack of game up front today) but instead people are criticising the only 1 of the 3 who actively helped the team from being scored on. And necessarily so to boot.

Ask Marcelo how he liked having Bale back him up tonight. Or Ramos, that he didn't have to do it as Nacho had to on the right with Carvajal. Football isn't just a highlight reel where only the goals matter for the outcome of the match, that's why it's a 90 minute game and not a 2 minute summary.

Airjao, MiamiNative0722 and Saeta Rubia repped this.
  3. madridismo

madridismo Member+

Feb 28, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think the idea was that Athletic's main danger was coming from long balls and crosses to Raul Garcia/Aduriz, so having a 4-4-2 with Lucas and Bale helping the fullbacks would stop crosses or at least not allow their fullbacks to overload a flank and get crosses in.

4. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I thought the goal was more on Ramos who went to the goal line too quick to help the goalie, he should have stayed with Aduriz to contest the ball instead. Need to see the replay to see how close they were to another, but that's how it looked in the 1 replay I saw.

dooda and Ahmadi8 repped this.
  5. ABB94

ABB94 Member+

Feb 18, 2015
    England, UK
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #405 ABB94, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    What does this mean? The wingers were Vasquez and Bale (defensive) who were there to cover Carvajal and Marcelo as Bilbao were tearing us up on the channels. Inaki Williams completing 5 dribbles (2 more than any other player) is enough evidence for that so Zidane had to alter the system to give the fullbacks more protection meaning one of the CMs had to go. Modric was quiet before he was subbed anyway so I don't really think it made the game any different. Was just a mere coincidence they scored after he came off.

This was effectively the look after the modric sub:

Carvajal Nacho Ramos Marcelo
    Vasquez Casemiro Kroos Bale
    Benz CR

6. Phenom9

Phenom9 Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Like Zidane said your past achievements are quickly forgotten at Madrid, we need him performing when he isnt injured which is pretty much half a season.

7. Arcticmandaly

Arcticmandaly Member+

Oct 6, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Thank fully there hasnt been many games over the years from ronlado career where he hasnt scored or assisted in a game , thats what hes paid for to win games like today with hes assists .

you dont pay world record fees for work horses , you pay for match winners,game changers and when bale spends half the season out injured every year when he actually plays i expect him to do something usefull in attack or something better than lucas could offer .

8. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Playing in the front line in so many games (6 CL semis and 2 CL finals) you have to at least score once or twice
    don't you think?

9. meringues

meringues Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Aug 8, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Neither Bale nor Lucas is a pure "winger" in the traditional sense. They're both two-way players capable of defending, giving a team shape, and playing very active roles in their own halves.

Idea was to go 4-4-2 and play Bale on the left side in a less advanced position. I thought some of the team's best attacking play and passing combinations of the match came while playing 4-4-2.

It made sense in principle but I thought the timing was poor. I didn't see that bit of miscommunication you're referring to, but that's evidence of that.

10. AriGold

AriGold Member+

Jul 13, 2007
    Göteborg, Sweden
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    He has scored in a CL final... What are you on about now?

Saeta Rubia repped this.
  11. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He scored in CL final and CDR final against Barca. Assist in CL final, semis against Bayern and City which was a 1-0 game. Better record than choker Robben in these games for sure who missed sitters and penalty in 2012 final.

Shay Z repped this.
  12. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He's only just back and remember him getting important goals against Villarreal and Espanyol.

natenate101 repped this.
  13. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Recognize that this is probably one of the top 4 toughest places to play in La Liga.

natenate101, S1na, 4x4s and 2 others repped this.
  14. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yup. And our attitude was much better than what it was at Valencia and Villarreal. I am OK with us suffering and getting the job done in such games. Games at home against Betis, LP are the ones that we should dominate without excuses.

natenate101 and MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  15. ABB94

ABB94 Member+

Feb 18, 2015
    England, UK
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    True. Bilbao haven't lost at San Mames for like more than 9 consecutive games?

16. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    13 league games. 10 wins and 3 draws. Last lost to Barca early on in the season before today.

ABB94 repped this.
  17. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    From the replay I saw, Adruiz was the trailing man. He was outside the box, ran past Lucas, then past Casemiro, and both stood still and failed to pick him up. Well, Lucas saw him and tried to tell Casemiro to pick him up, but I mean pointing at a player in a loud stadium is not the most bullet proof way of catching that attention of a teammate.

18. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    So then take out Benzema for Lucas. Why do you take out a midfielder (your best one at that) to achieve that?

19. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    sleepyvato50, natenate101, CR7PT and 7 others repped this.
  20. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Nacho has been at the level of any of our starting CBs this season. Rock solid performance today. Had a standout performance in 3-0 win at Atleti. He should be our 3rd choice CB if Pepe leaves. Dude is non-transferable. Not to mention how versatile he is.

surgeon, Oscar, yoanaidarov and 3 others repped this.
  21. ABB94

ABB94 Member+

Feb 18, 2015
    England, UK
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    How did he recover from gastroenteritis in 2 days? He'd be on the toilet for at least 5 days

22. trts

trts Member+

Feb 3, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Damn! Maybe that's why he was half a step late on that header. :)

He took three defenders with him on that Casemiro goal. That gave Casemiro all that space in front of the goal.

23. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Agreed, he was fantastic.

But what's up with Pepe? Injured or what?

24. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He still found himself open in one FK too. He can't be marked out. :D Good that his reputation is making it easy for others.

25. meringues

meringues Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Aug 8, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Who's your midfield four? Modric, Kroos, Casemiro, Vazquez (with Bale joining Ronaldo up top)? Only one natural outside player there, and you'd maybe rather have Benz-Cristiano up top instead of Bale-Cristiano there. Idk.

It was an interesting decision to be sure, but I can see why he did it.