At Least the NHL gets it.

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Sport Billy, May 5, 2019.

1. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Ben Bishop took a blast off the collarbone. Not a serious injury. Refs played on. No one intentionally put the puck out for a nothing injury.

Opposite view shows the ref is on top of it and focused on Bishop with whistle in mouth in case it gets dangerous.

Well done NHL.
    Bishop stayed in the game. Subsequent x-rays are negative.

I am so tired of players usurping the referee's authority and killing play on non-serious injuries.

2. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    This is completely different than scenarios we see. First, if a goal keeper in our game was down, I highly doubt any side would play on.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  3. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    The fact that it was a goalie really wasn't central to the point I was making.

Players need to stop stopping play for non-serious injuries. Let the refs do their job and make that determination.

Pat Chewning repped this.
  4. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to be honest, I can't even begin to contemplate how there is an apples to apples comparison with soccer here.

If Bishop had stayed down with a broken collarbone, would that have meant the referees were wrong not to stop play? You seem to be suggesting that the fact that Bishop stayed in the game and had negative x-rays proves everything worked here, yet absolutely no one could have known those two things to be true in the moment.

Also, unlike soccer, there isn't exactly a rash of faking injuries in hockey--and certainly not from goalies. This may not have been a serious injury to the extent Bishop would need to be removed from the game, but when's the last time you saw an NHL goalie go down and stay down during dynamic play due to an injury when he wasn't in possession of the puck? This was a highly unusual situation.

A lot of people would argue it's unfair for St. Louis to score a goal there with the opposing goalie incapacitated. Others would argue it's just tough luck for Dallas. Either argument is probably legitimate in hockey, precisely because this is so rare to see. But I bet the latter argument wins out for most.

But in the culture of our sport--unless we're talking about an immediate rebound--there would be very little question that all but the most partisan fans would consider scoring a goal like this unfair. So if a team opted not to score here in soccer, your takeaway would be they are "usurping the authority of the referee and killing play on a non-serious injury?"

dadman, frankieboylampard and Geko repped this.
  5. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I gave the information so people know what happened. But it cannot and should not come into play. The puck hit him in the chest/shoulder, not the head. Even if it was a broken collarbone, that is not a serious injury. We can't stop every play because of the possibility of a broken bone.

You clearly haven't watched this serious. We've had an extreme amount of diving (even penalties called for it)
    1123048611980414976 is not a valid tweet id

But if the rule was changed, we would see an increase in goalies feigning injury to stop a dangerous situation. Again, Bishop is known for his faking of an injury.

Sure, your always going to take sides, but the rules are very clear.

This was an immediate rebound. But hard to say following the rules is "unfair" - "unlucky"? "unfortunate"? sure, but not unfair.

You still haven't really addressed why we let players make this determination in spite of the laws saying otherwise?

6. Charron

Charron Member

Plymouth Argyle
    United States
    Apr 2, 2019
    Scunthorpe would beg to differ (0:61 in)...

7. djmtxref

djmtxref Member

Apr 8, 2013
    What is your solution? Card players who put the ball out of bounds on an injury?

8. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
  9. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    No, can't do that.

First steps have to be;
    - an AC.
    - Allowing teams to continue playing despite players complaining
    - sanction heavily those who intentionally foul those who continue to play.
    - FIFA statement to players to stop doing it.

10. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I very deliberately said "faking injuries" and not "diving" or "simulation." Because my statement is true and the statement you're arguing against would not have been.

A two-handed tomahawk chop in the back, one of the places where goalies have the least amount of padding, and your takeaway is he is "known for faking injuries" because he goes down there? Sure, he's exaggerating the severity of his suffering. But that's a blatant penalty. And there's no video there showing he faked an injury, which again, is different than embellishment or diving.

You use the word "still" as if I need to do so. My point is that I think this is a silly comparison to our sport and a bunch of strange conclusions to make. But you seem set on making them, so I'll leave you to it.

Charron repped this.
  11. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    So, as always, you only came here to take a shot at me and not address the topic? Got it.

12. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My post above did not address the topic?

What are you talking about? I don't have to agree with your premises to engage in discussion. I think you're making strange comparisons that lead to unhelpful conclusions. I am disagreeing with you because I think you're wrong; that doesn't mean I am attacking you.

I don't have a scoreboard where I keep track of how often I disagree with someone. But if you feel like I'm doing that with you an inordinate amount of time, it simply means I think you're often wrong. Nothing more.

Charron repped this.
  13. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Former long time NHL referee Kerry Fraser had a couple of good points. (He would have blown play dead).

His most salient point was with Bishop down there was a chance he COULD have been struck in the back of the head. In the video, the referee has whistle to mouth. I think he might have been wanting to blow it dead too.

dadman and Doug the Ref repped this.
  14. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Fraser is wrong.
    Bishop could get hit in the head while playing goal. The rule, what Kerry should be following, doesn't mention anything like a "what if" scenario. If we went with "what if", play would stop the moment anyone went down.

But the ref, correctly, had whistle in mouth so that if Dallas touched the puck, he could blow it dead.

15. FootyPDX

FootyPDX Member

Portland Timbers
    England
    Nov 21, 2017
    Well you can't spell Scunthorpe without ... thorpe

16. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To say the NHL "gets it" with the inconsistent refereeing and post game DOPS reviews (I'm looking at you, Brad Marchand) this postseason is rich.

sitruc repped this.
  17. RespectTheGame

May 6, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    But if the rule was changed, we would see an increase in goalies feigning injury to stop a dangerous situation. Again, Bishop is known for his faking of an injury.

I don't know crap about hockey but that axe strike right to the mid spine sure looks like it would hurt like hell.... Is that really faking??