At last: The welcome Luka Modric Thread.

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by 4x4s, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Luka Modric is a RM player, what do you think?

Poll closed Sep 6, 2012.
  1. Just what we needed!!!

58.1%
  2. He'll be ok, but i don't think he'll be a massive improvement to our squad.

37.1%
  3. He's not good enough, i am dissapointed.

4.8%
  1. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    A defender winning? would be great but, unlikely

2. xRamos4

xRamos4 Member+

May 14, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    My name says it all when it comes to my favorite player, but be real. Ramos is not the best CB in the world, let alone best player. I love him for his style and persona, and how much he brings to the team. But if you really look at it without bias, he has had some pretty glaring issues in defense that can't be ignored.

Digital, -Fifth CharM-, Hsain85 and 2 others repped this.
  3. robertocarlos3

robertocarlos3 Member+

Jan 9, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Ramos is a winner. Probably one of the best to ever play for real madrid.
    He is a great defender with with tendency to brain fart in the most ridiculous scenarios, but again, the man provides in money time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Phoenix Rising and RealMadridista repped this.
  4. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Modric expected back for Croatia game on Nov 12th

Ugh, why can't he just take the international break to get 100% healthy?

5. RealMadridista

RealMadridista Member+

Aug 21, 2006
    Chicago Il
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Cos i think he loves his country and its a great honor for him to represent it every time he can

6. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I agree, then again, he stood the test of time which many hyped central defenders can't claim about themselves. There was a time where people thought that Silva (PSG) would leave a legacy behind him, then several blunders knocked him down a knotch or two. Chiellini was supposed to be the next big Italian CB, but he's just not Sergio Ramos, captain and idol level no matter how you look at it.

I can't think of a defender playing at this moment that has been as much of a leader, identification figure, and key player for as long as Ramos has been. He's been in Madrid since he was a child and without a doubt, in 10 years people will look at footage of him and claim that his CL campaign for the 10th was legendary.

yoanaidarov and Ahmadi8 repped this.
  7. xRamos4

xRamos4 Member+

May 14, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Completely agree, that's what I was trying to get across, didn't mean to seem negative. Only thing I was trying to say is I believe the frequent silly penalties and mistakes in defense are a reason he won't win the BDO. Guys an absolute legend, but the BDO ignores longevity (or its supposed to), and the intangibles that we love.

8. temesgen

temesgen Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    He's also a good person, he took care of Navas when he was struggling. Ramos genuinely is one of the good ones.

9. Phoenix Rising

Phoenix Rising Member+

Jan 4, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well, that must apply to Modric too, then. Right? He made a number of errors in last year's league campaign that ended up costing us goals and/or points. Anyway, we know neither Ramos nor Modric is going to win the BDO... and it usually goes to a forward. Just saying I wish he could win one... because he deserves one more than any of the others who haven't won already it in our team.

10. xRamos4

xRamos4 Member+

May 14, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I don't remember more than 2 errors from modric leading to goals this past season. I definitely remember the instances you're talking about, but I don't think it was a super significant number. Ramos' penalties are far more frequent (he's gotten control of the red card situation, I'll give him that).

But the comparison is ridiculous because you're comparing a player whose job is to defend and not give up goals to midfielder whose job is to create and dictate play. A CB is judged on his ability to defend, a player like Modric's contribution is not judged on the same criteria.

sleepyvato50 repped this.
  11. Phoenix Rising

Phoenix Rising Member+

Jan 4, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Okay, fine, using this same logic you're applying to Ramos/defenders... a midfielder's job is to retain possession, create opportunities (measured in assists), and score (measured by goals). Would you say Modric has done more in these 3 categories than a Xavi or Iniesta, to deserve a BDO? Not trying to put Modric down because I love the player... just asking, if those two couldn't win it in their primes over forwards, what do you think Modric has done to win it?

He's done enough to be nominated but not win it, IMO.

12. -Fifth CharM-

-Fifth CharM- BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2007
    Luka Modric is the best central midfielder in the world... He has been our best player (after Ronaldo) since those first six months. He is undoubtedly more worthy of a Ballon D'or.

I love Ramos, but he is not the best central defender in the world, let alone in the city of Madrid, or at Real Madrid.

MerlinRM and SayWhatIWant repped this.
  13. RealMadridista

RealMadridista Member+

Aug 21, 2006
    Chicago Il
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Sure...

14. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    That's arguable. He's surely one of the most important players of his generation when it comes to defenders.

Ahmadi8 and Phoenix Rising repped this.
  15. S1na

S1na Member+

Real Madrid
    Jun 1, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Ramos might not be the best defender in terms of defensive awareness and discipline but he surely is a beast in one on one with strikers and controlling the line.
    But his best qualities are not physical capabilities. His mentality is the best. He is the HERO.

Phoenix Rising and RealMadridista repped this.
  16. surgeon

surgeon Member+

Aug 28, 2012
    I hated him for the whole United thing last summer, actually wanted him to leave at one point. Can't stand players thinking they are bigger then the club, specially when it's a player I really like. It's all just business and us fans should just get used to it, but I guess I'm old school that way.

Having said that, Ramos is the perfect ballon d'or candidate. He has the factor X, the intangible, indefinable something that separates him from the rest.

Phoenix Rising repped this.
  17. RealMadridista

RealMadridista Member+

Aug 21, 2006
    Chicago Il
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He is the soul of the team
    Without him we would have not win CL.that says a lot

S1na and Phoenix Rising repped this.
  18. Phoenix Rising

Phoenix Rising Member+

Jan 4, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    That's only if you believed he would leave. I never did, not for a moment.

Repped for this. :)

19. osnap427

osnap427 Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    His brother pulls the same shit literally every summer to get Sergio a raise. Don't for a second think he actually intended to leave.

Phoenix Rising repped this.
  20. RealMadridista

RealMadridista Member+

Aug 21, 2006
    Chicago Il
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    And others players agents are not right?
    He deserved that extension

He wanted recognition that is all

21. PigBenis

PigBenis Member+

Sep 5, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ramos is the true captain. He makes lots of mistakes and might not be the best defensively but he has the attitude of a leader and you clearly see the difference when he's on the field and when he's not. He carries this team and one of the main reason why we won 2 CLs in 3 years is because of him. Definitely deserved that raise. I don't judge him one bit for the drama and if it was up to me, I would be paying him close to Ronaldo. Certainly not half of what Ronaldo makes.

22. Adder

Adder Red Card

Sep 1, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Why would you willingly pay him more than what he is asking for? In what world does that make any sense?

23. Phoenix Rising

Phoenix Rising Member+

Jan 4, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    He's not saying that... just saying Ramos deserved his raise, which I agree with... since a lot of people were hating on him and calling him names in the summer because he asked for a raise.

24. -Fifth CharM-

-Fifth CharM- BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2007
    That's slight revisionism. A lot of people, including myself, were upset with his crass negotiation tactics and how he handled the whole thing. The summer long flirt with Manchester United, and threatening to leave if his demands were not met.

That is not what you expect from a captain.

Hsain85 repped this.
  25. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Out of curiosity, what do you think he should have done in order to get a deserved raise (IMO ) differently, captain or not, that would have achieved the same end result, people seem clear on the fact of what he should not have done, so , what should he have done, or should he just have accepted whatever because he is captain, again, just curious

Halycon and Phoenix Rising repped this.