Asian Cup Quarterfinals: Korea vs Iran [R]

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by K_19, Jul 28, 2004.

1. K_19

K_19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    So here we are again, Korea vs Iran for the third straight Asian cup in a row. This should not be an easy match for either side; Korea lost 2-6 in 1996 then beat them 2-1 in 2000 although Iran played better. However, Iran would also have to remember that 2000 lost as well as the two defeats their olympic side suffered against Korea recently.

These two teams are of very even strength should they both have full teams, but Korea is missing players such as Lee CS, Yoo SC, Choi SK and Song CG to the olympics and Iran will be missing their 3 main defenders to suspension plus Hashemian (who I believe quit the NT). The edge here should be to Korea as they have the stronger squad at the moment and also because the travelling that the Iranian team has to go through for this game could be a factor for their stamina (Korea stays right where they are).

Korea should come away with a win here, since Iran is missing their defenders but at the same time they should come out attacking anyway, since defending does not suit their style of play. However if Iran decides to bunker down and defend the whole game, Korea, as usual, will have problems with that. Penalty shootout would be a bad thing for Korea, because outside of that shootout win against Spain in the WC, our shootout record overall for the NT is horrendous (not to mention that Iran beat them in the last penalty shootout in the Asian games)

For Korea, I'm pretty confident that Choi JC will lock down Daei and that Lee YP will do a good job covering Mahdavikia. I'm only worried about Ali Karimi as I dont think there is a player in Korea who can mark him effectively at the moment... Song would have been a perfect man on him but since we don't have him, Karimi should cause a lot of trouble. Lee DG and Cha DR will probably start again, and it will be good if they score like they did against Kuwait, but I'm still not confident in these two guys because they have real trouble creating goals by themselves. If Iran isolates these two successfully they they won't have a problem... until Ahn JH comes in that is :)

2. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nice written :)

I think this game will be very even, as it was with Japan-Iran today.

And one thing, i heard the commentator mentioned Hashemian, and said he didnt want to play for the national team. Thats weird.

3. juventusatlanta

juventusatlanta New Member

Aug 29, 2003
    Atlanta
    Nice analysis, gents.

On another note, does anyone know if this match can be viewed in the US? Is their any pay per view option, or other way to view this match in the States?

Thanks.

4. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002
    although i try not to make prediction for matches other than korea vs. japan, i must say korea will win this one. my reason is, iranian players will be thinking "japan was nothing. we could have won 5-0. let's show koreans what 6-2 is alla bout." and koreans are like "holy crap. we suck bad. iran is a good. we must play 100% to win."

i say korea 2-0 iran

5. Carbon

Carbon New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    LA

you can watch it here:

http://drm30.irmtv.com/

Tapesh TV will be showing the game. just use the free 3 day trial. nice quality too. :cool:

6. persiantiger

persiantiger Guest

and junjun finally shows his face :eek:

I wouldn't be happy with 6-2 I say Iran 90 Korea 0.

7. Iranian-Striker

Iranian-Striker New Member

Aug 7, 2001
    Actually you're quite wrong in your assumption. The good game against Japan will do nothing but spirit to the squad again after they had so many people bash them about the match against Oman.

I think both sides will try to play the posession as in the Iran-Japan game and I think the game can be won by either side depending on the circumstances in the game.

Right now though, I think Iran has good chance to beat Korea, but I must admit that this time Korea are the favorites to beat us (unlike the other 2 times). Branko knows what he's doing, and I hope the players injuries arent too bad and they are able to play...

8. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Actually it was horrible quality. I watch the game between JPN and IRN. I think the quality could have been better.:(

Also......for once in my life, .....I want..... KOR to win.
    Otherwise we woun't get to see JPN vs KOR in the final.:cool:

9. gongcheoga

gongcheoga New Member

May 4, 2004
    I'm with Iranian-Striker on this one. Korea thinking we suck after the Kuwait game? No way. We're back to where we were before Hiddink came - getting false confidence from stuffing poor quality regional opposition, and convincing ourselves that because LDG can put away multiple goals at this level that it makes him a world-class striker.
    :p

10. Carbon

Carbon New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    LA

IF your computer has a graphic card its nice full screen with latest media player. now i don't wanna get too technical!

but its free and it shows the game so just watch and be happy that you can in USA!

http://www.persianfootball.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=22169&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

11. Soju Gorae

Soju Gorae New Member

Prediction:

3-0 win for Korea.

12. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Yes I do!

13. persiantiger

persiantiger Guest

It must hurt the japanese that the koreans see Iran as their biggest rivals not japan..

14. Carbon

Carbon New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    LA

Iran and Korea have been powers in asia for a long time and their history has resulted in a deeper rivalry and respect between the two.

15. tako

tako Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Yokohama
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    As in the past this game will have no relation to the final.
    But good luck to both teams.

16. Carbon

Carbon New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    LA

we will see about that. :cool:

17. Gen-Max93

Gen-Max93 New Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    I hope we will see a good clean match, without contreversy.

Good luck to both teams.......

Too bad Eurosport wont show the match, so Europe can see two of the best Asian teams in action and give a better impression to Europe regarding Asian football. Pity......

18. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yeah, it sucks :( I´ve looking forward to the games, and now i have to watch it on the net..

19. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    what? u wanna show this match to european people? So they could see how horrible Iran is? Now now...u don't wanna embrass the Iranians, now do u?

3-1 Republic of Korea, 2 goals by Lee Dong Guk and 1 goal by Park Ji Sung...

20. RuffRyder

RuffRyder New Member

Sep 15, 2003
    last iran game was on Eurosport

look on satfootball.com and in the international section, they update it frequently.

21. RuffRyder

RuffRyder New Member

Sep 15, 2003
    I heard Eurosport is showing the rest of the matches, but i watch on Iranian tv anyway.

22. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yes, thats what i heard to, but it looks like they´re going to skip the to quarter finals on saturday.. Bad, after that they are sending every game, except the bronze final i think.

23. RuffRyder

RuffRyder New Member

Sep 15, 2003
    check out satfootball.com

they update it all the time, so just be on the look out.

24. footballlover

footballlover Member

Jan 1, 2004
    USA
    A while back I came across a Korean channel on the internet with very good quality.Does anyone have the link for it and know if they will show the game?
    Greatly appreciated.

25. persiantiger

persiantiger Guest

Haha JINAN - Korea Republic coach Jo Bonfrere has warned his players that Iran will be nothing like what they have faced so far in the Asian Cup.

some interesting stuff the korea coach has said about iran are

"While acknowledging the geographical similarities, the Dutchman believes football-wise, Iran are continents apart."

"“You can’t compare Iran with the Arab teams,” said Bonfrere. “Iran are much more powerful, they will fight harder and are stronger than the teams we have faced."

read the full article here http://www.iransportspress.com/artman/publish/article_962.shtml

deja vu? Iran's coach (branko) keeps saying how we will crush the koreans and the korean coach keeps warning his players, thats exactly what happend during the olympics I hope it won't happen again good luck to both teams the winner of this match (ahem IRAN) will win the cup.