Asian Cup 2015 Thread

Discussion in 'Australia' started by REALfootballRulez, Jan 30, 2011.

1. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think there's any doubt. Many Asian countries just don't have very good attendance but the Aussies will show up in force.

Anyone care to bet? :D

I also think FSC could finally pick up some of the games.

2. jimbregas

jimbregas Member

May 20, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    You seen to have more confidence in Australian football than most Australians... What gives? :)

3. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I'm not saying that Australia AC won't be fantastic and I can't wait to go watch Japan there try and defend the title but lets face it......

2004 in China probably will keep that record for ever I mean its up there in attendances with FWC. Just cause the sheer number of people and therefore the number interested.

4. NinaQatar

NinaQatar Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Well, at least one thing's for certain, the Australia matches will be packed. That's one aspect you could almost guarantee, which is a step forward compared to Qatar's standards. :p

It might be four years from now but I simply cannot wait for this. Hopefully I'll be there when the tournament kicks off. If you think about it, Aussie Soccer fans should have a wonderful time between 2014 and 2015. A World Cup in Brazil, home to the most passionate supporters of the beautiful game, followed by an Asian Cup in Down Under. :)

It could only get better if we manage to qualify for the next World Cup and win the Asian Cup in our homeland. :p

5. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL..forgot about that.

Well you guys will get the ratings record I bet!

Plus they could get the biggest single game attendance ever at the Asian Cup. It will be one of the Socceroos games and there must be a stadium they'll use down under that holds 60K plus.

6. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/h...cup-in-australia/story-e6frf9if-1225996793712

7. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That sounds FANTASTIC!! I may go down under for it!!

8. epris

epris Member

May 20, 2007
    Sydney
    Doubt many would turn up for kuwait vs oman type games....

Socceroos matches will be packed though, no doubt, as well as the final, regardless of who is in it. Aussies love a grand final.

9. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/socceroos/news/1044109/Socceroos-reach-out-to-fans

10. jimbregas

jimbregas Member

May 20, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Sounds good. I like the idea of the whole 'mixed package' thing. Should hopefully drag some people along to the smaller games.

Obvious choices for the stadiums would be Etihad, AAMI, ANZ, SFS and Suncorp.

11. Zednaught

Zednaught Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Club:
    Adelaide United
    No games in Perth and Adelaide?

really?

12. jimbregas

jimbregas Member

May 20, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    There are only 5 AC venues and neither Perth or Adelaide have good enough rectangular football grounds to warrant selection.

13. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Attn: WA, SA, TAS, NT - you want games, build some proper football stadia farken!

/Zoidburg

14. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Okay, the FFA better not fuck up the fixtures.

Okay they should use, the two Melbourne stadiums, the two Sydney stadiums and the Canberra ground. Best scenario as far as foreigners travelling is concerned.

The Canberra ground hosts the 3rd place match. One semi in Melb, one in Syd. Sydney final, so Melb gets 2 QF's, Canberra one QF & Syd 1 QF.

Then just host the group stages normally without having ANY teams (except Australia's group) scheduled to go from Melb to Syd, rather go half-way to the Canberra ground. So Groups C & D in Syd/Canb, B in Melb/Canb, A all over cause it has Australia.------------------------

Nobody in Tassie would've expected games in Launy or Hobart. ffs Tassie wasn't even a part of Australia's 2022 bid lol.

15. Zednaught

Zednaught Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Club:
    Adelaide United
    Why is Docklands suitable when Adelaide Oval isn't?

16. Zednaught

Zednaught Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Club:
    Adelaide United
    It makes no sense for Canberra to hold the 3rd place match ahead of Brisbane.

Logically, based on the acceptable grounds, have games in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Gold Coast/Townsville/Newcastle/Canberra for the 4th city.

17. jimbregas

jimbregas Member

May 20, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    While Docklands isn't the best football ground, it would be better than Adelaide Oval. It has a higher capacity (atm), roof, retractable seating. Plus this is being held in the summer so Adelaide Oval would have a nice solid cricket pitch slap bang in the middle of the field.

As for Canberra being more suitable than Brisbane? Suncorp is one of the best rectangular grounds in the country, it'd be madness not to use it. And it'd also be madness not to give Sydney and Melbourne two grounds each.

18. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    IMO they will use 7 grounds: AAMI and Etihad, SFS and ANZ, Canberra, Suncorp and Gold Coast (or maybe Newcastle still - who I think deserve it over Gold Coast).

Etihad would only be used for Opening (Socceroos) game and a semi.
    AAMI for a QF (not Socceroos - this the winner to Suncorp semi)
    Suncorp would get a QF (not Socceroos but "best" otherwise - winner to Etihad Semi), Semi and 3rd Socceroos group game.
    ANZ for Final, Socceroos QF and 2nd Socceroos group game.
    SFS for other QF*

Canberra and Gold Coast/ Newcastle only get group games but try to make sure Japan/ Korea/ Iran/ Iraq/ China etc play their as these would be the bigger drawcards - Japan especially would be a good amtch for Gold Coast.

*The two possible Socceroos QF games are both in Sydney - they can decide afterwards which stadium to use for each QF - most likely would be that Socceroos.

Soccer Dad Tips repped this.
  19. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    http://www.smh.com.au/sport/footbal...towards-hosting-asian-cup-20110914-1k8jp.html

20. Grinners89

Grinners89 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    As much as it gave me the impression of a boring city, has Adelaide not done enough to be a host city for the Asian Cup? A-League attendances, performances of their team, decent sized grounds...

21. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    A decent rectangular stadium over 20-25,000 would probably be a good start. ;)

22. Grinners89

Grinners89 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Adelaide Oval + Port Adelaide fans = problem solved.

23. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1113770/Sydney-to-hold-Asian-Cup's-big-games

24. 007GS

007GS Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    It all depends on whether or not our media cares enough about a 'sockah' event. You know, with the exposure reaching into the hundreds of millions and everything...(cough Adelaide United in ACL)

If it's advertised well and the media gives it some serious recognition it will be a well-attended success. Maybe FFA could do a 'buy Socceroos ticket and see other group match free/50% off' deal. Either way, matches involving teams like Iraq, Lebanon, China, Korea and Japan will have solid foundations to start from.

25. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I cringe whenever I see this thread title pop up. It's by no means clear the Australian public is going to turn out in respectable numbers to watch Qatar vs Singapore or whatever.