Asian Cup 2011 [R]

Discussion in 'China' started by xfactor857, Dec 8, 2010.

1. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Re: Asian Cup 2011

neh. not a good night for me.
    studying all night/morning for brutal accounting and moderating the forum the whole night :D

2. shingkei

shingkei Member

Mar 23, 2007
    China
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR

so Gao Lin and Yang Xu is very likely to be the strikers in the Asian Cup

3. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002

Yep, and maybe this means that Qu Bo will be taken off the wing and used in that position too. Or Hao as lone striker if Gao's insane/desperate.

Maybe its just me and I have 2007 stuck in my head (or I'm just overtired having not slept at all to stay up for the 4 am disaster at the hands of that Korean midget), but I wouldn't be upset if Mao Jianqing was called into the lineup and played as lone striker.

4. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

please dun remind me of 2007
    gao hongbo isn't = zhu guanghu

i still remember when china was 3-0 down from uzbekistan
    he changed the remaining attacking players to defensive players..

i trust gao isn't as dumb as zhu.

5. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

off topic wise:
    yes man utd is having a strong advantage with 2 points top (and extra match not played)
    it is mid season now and it is pretty difficult to say what will happen.
    man utd gonna visit chelsea next week and i could sense a bloody battle, as long as man utd continue to draw (and lose please, dear god) and arsenal capitalizing points on other teams, there's still an outside chance for arsenal to achieve a premier league title

this season, there isn't really a big 4, it is more like a big 6
    man city, tottenham, bolton could be title contenders too. (sorry liverpool i am not counting you)

heck, i would be happy if arsenal win the carling cup, but i believe there are many arsenal supporters outside there that would wish for more..

6. xfactor857

xfactor857 Member

Sep 21, 2003

[​IMG]

대한민국

7. xfactor857

xfactor857 Member

Sep 21, 2003

Do you still remember China going up 2-0 only to draw 2-2 against Iran? I thought that was the real momentum killer for AC 2007.

8. Only_ONE_United

Nov 30, 2008
    Vancouver/Hong Kong
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR

Yup. China's 2007 campaign was pretty much marred by an inability to finish off games. I really hope they can buckle down defensively while actually finishing some of the chances they get.

This will be a tough AC for sure I think. SK will have a strong squad as usual; Good old Parkie is in excellent form for United which means he will likely be brimming with confidence for the NT. Japan are a confident strong squad too. Lets not forget that a Middle East hosted AC will advantage the West Asian teams like home games too. :cool:

9. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002

I was tired so the 2007 point was unclear, I just mean the magic of Mao that took placed in 2007, nothing else, obviously overall that was a horrible tournament worth forgetting.

This year's going to be tough, we all just want to see China advance out of the group stage, but if they can win the group, that would be huge as it could mean we entirely avoid Japan/Korea until the finals, whereas if we finish 2nd in the group, its quite possible that we'd take on Japan in our next match.

10. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002

Is it just that there are so few Asians in the EPL (which is what I usually follow), but I haven't seen many stories about managers complaining about losing their players for this. The event had to be moved to the winter for the criminally corrupt Qataris because they don't have their environment killing air conditioned stadiums built yet and it seems surprising there aren't more managers pissed off about this.

11. xfactor857

xfactor857 Member

Sep 21, 2003

They think it's the Asian Cup of Nations.

If Chelsea must lose Drogba and Kalou, then Bolton has no problem losing Lee Chung-Yong.

12. Only_ONE_United

Nov 30, 2008
    Vancouver/Hong Kong
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR

Well, Sir Alex seems to be indicating that Park will be sorely missed in his absence. I mean, Park has definitely been one of our MVPs of the year so far; which is funny because everyone in the United forum likes to rip on him in the player ratings after every match even if he scores/assists. :cool:

13. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

I havent tracked the Chinese national team since that whole WC10 debacle, do we actually have a decent pool of players this time around? I know we won the East Asian Cup against B and C teams, but does China finally have a better system of bringing up younger players?

And does anyone know where I can get episodes of the tv shows on CCTV5 (if they are still running) i think it was called FOOTBALL TONIGHT and I used to watch it for news on the national team camps and preparations. Please PM me if you know where I can grab it online.

14. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

if it's cctv5
    simply download sopcast and find cctv5 :)

15. Only_ONE_United

Nov 30, 2008
    Vancouver/Hong Kong
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR

"Decent" pool of young players with potential? Sure, I would argue we've always looked to have had a surplus of those. A better system of bringing them and their potential to full fruition? Sadly, that remains to be seen methinks.. :(

16. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002

We're only talking about 2 and a half years ago, not enough time for real systemic change. There is an attitude around here of "In Gao We Trust" and Gao's done a good job bringing a lot of young players into the national team and giving them a chance, very few of the players that took part in the qualifying are still in the squad today. That's about all you can ask for in 2 years.

17. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

so... pretty much a hopeless case... after wc 02 and ac 04 I was truly thinking China may squeeze into the 2006 WC, it wasnt meant to be with a loss in Kuwait and unlucky results elsewhere. In ac 07 I thought we had a young but inexperienced squad with potential and that group stage would serve as motivation.... then 08 olympics and 10 wcq happened...

Now you look across at Japan and Korea where their top players are starters on European clubs playing in continental competitions... I dont think there is anyone on a decent team in a top tier league.

I remembers years ago when I first signed up I had arguments with others here about player development in the US and China, now it doesnt even seem close!

Well I will be watching AC11, see how the team is doing, hell if Iraq can win it with a patched up team then anyone with some team spirit may have a chance....

18. ruazn2

ruazn2 Member

Jul 25, 2006
    California
    Club:
    Shanghai Shenhua
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR

With all the corruption stuff going on, not surprising soccer has not gone anywhere since WC02. Now that we've finally put it behind us, maybe we can start up again, starting with AC11.

19. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002

It's not hopeless at all. China failed to build off Milu's success in 2002 because they couldn't find any coaches that worked, mainly because (a lot like Guoan now) they refused to pay the going rate for top coaches, so they got mediocre or downright crappy (Zhu Guanghu stand up) coaches instead.

The '07 roster was hardly young and inexperienced (hell, it included Li Tie, Datou, Sun Jihai, Shao, ZZ, etc.), what you're seeing this year is truly a young and inexperienced roster with a lot of potential. Feng's out, which is a real tragedy for him as this tournament could have been his path to Europe, but we still have a number of good players on the field.

If Gao's the coach we think/hope he is, and if Blazevic is as good as we hope he is, then there's still hope for a good future. There aren't that many Japanese/Koreans playing in top leagues in Europe, if our side performs well at the AC, and especially if we can get our FIFA ranking up, there will be a number of Chinese playing in England and across Europe.

20. ruazn2

ruazn2 Member

Jul 25, 2006
    California
    Club:
    Shanghai Shenhua
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
  21. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

argh fcukk
    now i doubt china could get through group stage
    not only we are lacking in strikers
    we also lack in good quality defenders too :(

22. ruazn2

ruazn2 Member

Jul 25, 2006
    California
    Club:
    Shanghai Shenhua
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR

oh well, maybe they can surprise us.

23. shingkei

shingkei Member

Mar 23, 2007
    China
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR

so uncapped young player Li Jianbin will go to Qatar

24. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

hao junmin is joining us on december 28th :)

25. ruazn2

ruazn2 Member

Jul 25, 2006
    California
    Club:
    Shanghai Shenhua
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR

when did he play in a game last anyway? He's gonna miss the friendly tonight. Is he even going to be match fit...