Arsenal vs Spuds (EFL Cup) 19 Dec 2018

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by NorthBank, Dec 17, 2018.

1. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eddie, yes. AMN, I'm not so sure yet. We've seen so little of him this season. I still think his future my be in the fullback position. I'm not sure he would agree though.

It is telling that we dominated Spurs for portions of the game, even with a makeshift backline.

We aren't far off of where we want to be, but Emery has lots of work to do.

2. IAH-Gooner

IAH-Gooner Member

Dec 12, 2014
    Houston
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our defending is so poor. A long ball to the half way line, then a ball over the top and a goal. Rinse and repeat. So frustrating to watch game after game.

Not a big deal to lose this game. Need to get back to winning ways this weekend.

3. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    We do miss him in midfield, but guen has been pretty good in his absence. Also we created a lot of chances and conceded two goals off of goal kicks.

Haven’t seen the xG totals, but I’m psositive we created more than them. It’s gutting to lose when you outplay the opposition but it happens.

In the end we don’t have room for these added fixtures anyway, but it’s a nice little trophy to win. Time to get healthy and focus on the EL which is our real chance at a trophy and CL footy next season.

A brand new manager doesn’t have this luxury I think. It’s a rivalry game at home. Also, spurs didn’t play fringe players—they rested players against Burnley for this one. And we outplayed them. Miki should of scored, Ramsey almost scores and their goals came out of nothing.

At PSG I remember Emery playing Neymar and company against a third dovision club in a cup match. He takes the cups seriously and that’s why this was his first domestic cup loss since Sevilla lost to Barca.

Romfordray and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  4. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think his future is at a different club. I just don't see it with him at all.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  5. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #30 DaPrince84, Dec 19, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    We gonna have a real conversation about Emery if Arsenal struggle during Christmas period.

This team had an unbeaten run but were not playing well.

We don't defend well or attack well and Emery can't figure out how to fit either Ozil or Ramsey into the team.

almost like Wumger's banter era teams.

We create a lot of chances yet somehow don't score while the other team pounces on our mistakes.

casoccerdad47 repped this.
  6. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Two seasons ago Liverpool conceded 42 goals and barely made 4th. Almost halfway through this season and they’ve only conceded 7 and top the table. It takes a little time and money, but significant changes are possible and within reach. We are currently only about 3XG behind spurs and chavs. Considering we’ve been without our star player for a lot of the season that’s not too bad is it?

7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just watched it on replay.

I started with a chuckle as I saw the EFL producers had Iwobi as CF at the expense of Auba. ;)

The only really good thing about watching this was the quality of the ESPN stream. Pretty high res and nary a stutter or a hiccup.

Wait, maybe our pressing was also good to see... right from the off. But it was not successful... so often, after we won a turnover, we gave it away quickly.

They deserved the win. We were so sloppy. And they showed us how to capitalize on situation. Their 2 goals were carbon copies: perfect passes over the top to a perfectly timed runner to beat our trap, and to forwards who knew how to bury a shot.

Late in the game Peter Drury said "another Arsenal raid comes to nothing". So true. And such a reminder of Arsenal circa 2016/17.

TBH, when I sort of reluctantly started this thread, I had a little thought that whoever made it might not get to make a 2nd one. I just didn't wanna say that.

Next up?!

8. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am NO fan of Dele Alli, but IMHO that's a perfectly legit gesture. And better than dropping dead like Almiron did when he got hit by a piece of fabric. We loved it when Theo held up 2-1 fingers to Spurs fans, as he was stretchered off a few years back.

9. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Already struggling

10. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair.

11. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I meant struggle to get points, which I think is going to happen.

12. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yeah - only 4 pts out of the last 9

Need to target the easier games over chrissy as liverpool will be tough

that is why i could not have bothered with this game (avoiding the impact of an extra "english week")

13. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Finally seen the XG. I think it tells the story pretty well.

All their XG came from the two goals and the sissoko miss. All three against the run of play with the goals resulting from individual defensive shortcomings on our part and no brilliance on theirs.

They made us work hard for our chances, but we had plenty and just missed.

That was the difference in the game. For the two losses, we haven’t played poorly at all but individual mistakes have cost us. I don’t see this as an indictment on Emery. We all said our individual defenders were not good enough to challenge and we are just seeing that in action. Kos has been primarily responsible for 3 goals in 2 games and we’ve been playing with midfielders in the back line.

No need to get worked up about this.

yossarian repped this.
  14. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    lunacy

15. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We also didn't play well enough to win either game: both games were even and we lost. It's more luck evening out than anything else.

Must wins on Saturday and Wednesday.

16. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I have no idea what has happened with ozil and why my boy emery is playing xhaka at cb

I guess he wants to stick with a 343 which imo is a system Ramsey or ozil can flourish in

.....auba
    Ozil.......ramsey
    ...xhaka..torreira

Back 5

Or

...auba....laca
    .......ozil/Ramsey
    ...xhaka...torreira

But he’s playing iwobi and mikhi

Very random

You know I think this xg shit is just pointing out the obvious but we have to get on another run to keep top 4 as a realistic goal

17. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    for the record, Walcott's gesture was 2-0, as well. carry on.

18. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya, but an Arsenal player did it, which means I'm not salty about it.

19. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Always love it when a Spurs fan knows his Arsenal history more accurately than I do. :)

20. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    I think that’s a bit unfair. On balance we outplayed both teams imho with most of their big chances in both games coming from individual errors. Scott shows that in his model—based on what we created and what they created, we could expect to win 47% and draw 27% of the time.

In fairness, spurs fans don’t have a lot of memorable team history to keep track of so it’s easy for them to remember random arsenal facts.

21. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Seeing as I remember the boring shit you played before Wenger, I suspect I know a lot of Arsenal history loads of 'the faithful' are oblivious to.

Not meaning you, of course, NorthBank … I know that you know … ;)

22. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm. While I'm loathe to paint with a broad brush either for negative or positive reasons, I would guess most supporters know the origins of [Go West] "One nil, to the Arsenal."

23. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    maybe so, yoss. and perhaps a bit of the glory hunting lot has moved on; but it wasn't long ago that loads of yours spoke of 'the arsenal way' of playing in a manner that implied a more limited scope.

regardless, I suppose I could file Walcott's gesture under Spurs History … but that might be a bit disingenuous, as I guess I do know a fair bit about your club's past - with different emphases than most folks here, though, I suspect. ;)

24. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Match is early tomorrow. No takers to make the matchday thread?

NorthBank repped this.
  25. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SOMEBODY should friggin step up!