Alert: Arsenal versus Manchester City EFL Cup Final 2/25

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Romfordray, Feb 23, 2018.

1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what many of us hope. But there's no way they're going to sack him. Maybe let him resign as you say. I think Gazidis and perhaps others would like this to happen. I'm slightly but not wildly optimistic that this will happen. But I'm quite sure that nothing will happen until season ends. So I figure our run-in will figure greatly into this, as well as how vocal the Wenger-Out forces get. (they've been oddly quiet this season)

2. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    as in fit vs quality?

3. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wife asked same question today lol
    My son will be an Arsenal because he needs to appreciate heights and lows.

4. banco

banco Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    He's thinks he is A LOT better than he actually is; which in our non-existent/figure-it-out yourself system is not a good combo

daedalus and DaPrince84 repped this.
  5. Fifty

Fifty Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm encouraging my kids to do sports, not really watch them. Money is ruining watching any sports these days.

danielh, bigredfutbol and cantona94 repped this.
  6. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys, Mustafi doesn't suck. He has 20 appearances for Germany. He was poor today, but something is going on; its not him. Its the team

7. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don’t give a flying fluck about Germany

That guy is not a good defender. He goes to the ground too quick and is too aggressive. He does it cuz he a midget who struggles to play the ball in the air.

The closer he is to our goal, the worst he becomes as a defender. And he is not a great distributor from the back.

Romfordray, Serengeti_Boy and banco repped this.
  8. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree

9. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you seen him play for Germany?

10. banco

banco Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    At this point I think Mustafi is just Gabriel with worse football sense.

Romfordray and DaPrince84 repped this.
  11. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    If I’m being 100, Gabriel can at least defend close to goal.

He can also play in a two. He can’t pass but I felt better with him defending than Mustafi.

12. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    ah. thank you.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  13. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i thought gabriel was serviceable in back 2 but was quite solid when switched to back 3. also showed pretty good recovery speed when needed.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  14. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Sad were playing City next on thur. And milan won their game vs Roma, who are thrash lately but they are pretty high in morale than us currently.

15. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I tend to agree more with this take

Humiliating though it is, Xhaka, Ramsey and Wilshere were utterly overmatched by Silva, Kevin Brown, Dawg and Fernandildo - they are just not good enough to carry the attack to those guys

Not that City couldn't be beaten. Indeed in the first 15 mins Auba was very unlucky not to score and then you might have backed us to scrap a win

But i think that reveals Wumgers foibles. This team is simply not talented enough to take on top teams directly. A realistic game plan is more likely a very direct one

16. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    On this topic of belief - something that really stuck in my head was a test match played by a very frustrating NZ cricket team vs the Aussies around 2000

We'd finally got some runs on the board, knocked the Aussies over, and now was the time to pile on more runs and finally stand up and be counted.

Just one problem. Our wilshere-esque mavericks simply weren't good enough to be tonking Glenn Mcgrath to all parts of the ground on a fast aussie wicket.

So instead they ground out runs and the opportunity was lost.

That was the impression i had yesterday when Arse went 1-0 down

it was all fine trying to hustle a goal in the first 15, but after that, the midfield simply was not good enough to open City up. Xhaka looked lost because he doesn't know how to take control of a game like that - he isn't up to it.

So the team really suffer from not having a game plan that recognises their realistic talent restrictions

17. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I agree with respect to many of his issues that were on full display yesterday, but -- and I should have said this more explicitly -- in addition to better tactics, etc., I wonder if a better manager could coach his issues out of him? I guess I'm just not ready to say that absolutely couldn't happen,

DaPrince84 repped this.
  18. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am sad that my duties were short-lived as thread starter.

I accept all blame.

The game itself was very poorly managed IMO. Yes the Mustafi play was horrendous. Actually, the yellow picked up by Bellerin was what should have happened on that exact play through the middle. Mustafi gets caught and he fouls to slow down and get the card like a good Gooner. Instead, he throws his hand up like a little bitch and we are screwed.

Every time I looked up the CMs for City had more time and space in the hole. First it was Fernandinho and then it was KDB. On the other hand, our MF had to hustle and bustle every time we touched the ball to move it forward. Defense can be taught to anyone...one just has to be willing to put in the work. We just stood around hoping they will have a bad pass and we win it back. It was so frustrating to see that we had 6 on the back line and they could still thread balls through. That is down to lack of motivation, strategy and general not giving a crap about outcome.

And don't even get me started about Xhaka's distribution. Every time we had the ball he had to take three extra touches, spin and pass sideways or back. Like we do not know how to play and slice aball through.

So frustrating!

19. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey there lad, quit being a little bitch and play like a center half is supposed to play or I will sell you to a Chinese club? Yes...I can see that as a possibility but I also think guys that bitch and moan will always do that no matter what. Look at the first Athletico goal that was scored against Sevilla yesterday and the sequence of fouls and card on Costa leading up to it. You think our players would be up for that?

https://streamable.com/n5vc6

20. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    [​IMG]

21. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mustafi's error was just that he was not goalside of Aguero, especially on a goal kick where the offside trap is irrelevant. Mental error.

So, as much as it would be nice to think that he might've done what Hector did to pull back a lethal attacker, that was not possible in this case. Mustafi had his back to Aguero (his big mistake) and as a result, wasn't ready for that little knock in the back. But once that happened the 2 guys were bouncing off each other in opposite directions. Even Usain Bolt couldn't have caught up with Aguero at that point.

22. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    That's how I feel about him - he is now about to turn 26 and his career has gone off the rails

My german friends think he is a decent squaddie being asked to be an elite CB - and he just isn't up to it

Put him out there with Boateng and Hummels in a 3 and he'd be ok

it says a lot that Merte is probably Arsenal's best CB of recent times, and even he was really only a decent pro - certainly never elite

23. Boondock

Boondock Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Speaking of catching up, didnt Kompany actually beat Auba in a foot race?

Auba's pace seems to be beginnng to decline this year. Which means he has 1 maybe 2 decent years ahead of him. Good thing he is our record signing.

24. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I was surprised by that as well but I think Auba loses a stride in controlling the ball and Kompany runs the shorter side of the triangle so he can arrive in time for the hip/shoulder check

It was a great piece of defending

Auba is unlikely to be fully match fit