Alert: ARSENAL VERSUS ASTON VILLA 2/23/13 @ 10 AM

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Romfordray, Feb 21, 2013.

1. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    But that's just not true. Szcz makes too many small mistakes, Mannone makes too many big ones. And Szcz is better eight ways to Sunday for physical presence besides.

2. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    did you watch the match today?

or Tuesday?

he makes a lot of big mistakes which leads to goals.

3. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    De Gea and Lindegaard

4. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    De Gea is a top level keeper? If you say so. Anyway, the last 4 Arsenal games i've watched, Chesney has been crap in 3 and good in 1, not nearly good enough, and he has shown no signs of improvement over his time as a starter. In fact he has become progressively worse. You can blame that on Mannone if you'd like to, but i can't see how having a more accomplished benchwarmer will help our cause.

5. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not saying we need a benchwarmer. I am saying that we need a guy like for example: Volkan Demirel (not him exactly but a guy like him). A guy, who, when Chesney messes up can come in and replace him. Show Chesney that if he messes up, he can benched straight away by another good keeper.

That is why I mentioned United's keepers. They are not amazing but when De Gea was doing horrible (still is but not as bad) Sir Alex was able to call on Lindegaard and bench De Gea for awhile. And it seems to be working. De Gea is starting to show the talent he displayed while at Athletico Madrid (Example: Real Madrid game) and is already rumored to go back to Spain's, as well as the worlds top club, Barcelona.

And speaking of Barcelona. Where would you rate Chesney compared to a guy like Valdez? Surely you cant say that Valdez is way ahead.

6. Fifty

Fifty Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    If I had more faith in Szcz I'd really like Lindegaard. He (Lindegaard that is) has exactly the right attitude for this situation, and it's a difficult one to pull off. Ie, he fully wants/expects/intends to be #1 but is still a good teammate wrt the current #1 at the same time.

8. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't rate Valdez highly either. I'm just saying if you're going to go out and buy a keeper, why not try to get a guy that is better than the keeper you've got? We've gone the last 8 years or so with a rotating collection of career backups and unproven kids. We would have been better just to spend the money to buy a proven #1 instead of scrounging in the bargain bin. Sure, we didn't pay much, but how much money has been squandered on salaries for mediocrities like Manny and Flappy? And as much as i like the kid, Ches hasn't shown himself to be a great deal better than either of those guys.

9. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So, Diaby, see him in August? (i.e., usual best case scenario) Any news?

10. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not sure I understand your logic here, Kid. So, Zczez is not performing at a higher level because he does not have a challenging No 2.? Come on!
    As Anti said he is simply not good enough. He is directly at fault on the Blackburn's goal last week as well as today and I hope it will be a prioority for the club to get a more accomplished keeper next season.

12. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This talk of replacing Sczez is crazy talk. We're a club with limited resources, and the best way to utilize those resources is to make sure that:

1. Fix the midfield so that it doesn't cheaply give away possession.
    2. Get better attackers so that we don't need to have 21 players in the opposition half in an effort to break teams down.
    3. Better coaching so the same boneheaded mistakes don't keep happening on defense.
    4. Ensuring that we rotate players and have quality depth to reduce the number of injuries and reducing the impact that injuries have.

Sneezy would look like a much better keeper if we didn't leave him so horribly exposed at times. He's 22 years old and has promise, and young keepers have a habit of making mistakes.

13. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, not really, we're the 4th or 5th richest club in the world and should have one of the top keepers.

14. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Comes with the territory of being a keeper.

15. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nacho looks like a grown-ass man out there.

16. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't find the stories about Wenger having all the money he wants very credible: Arsene has spent money on players in the past, and yet the club makes a profit on player sales every summer. We're run like a club with limited resources, and so that's what I'll assume we are. Simply put, if we get the other positions right and get these morons to start playing as a team and not be horrifically out of position half the time, the goalkeeper won't be nearly as exposed.

17. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    the club DO have the money. whether wenger is allowed or wants to spend it is another matter.

18. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I remember seeing reports from a couple of years ago that said that the club had a to have fairly large cash reserves to satisfy debt obligations on the Emirates. Which, if true, functionally means that the club doesn't have the money to spend.

19. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    he wasnt that good, imo but you could blame the lack of protection from Santi for that.

20. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    no, the club have huge reserves to cover the debt AND huge reserves after that.

21. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    how much is that?

22. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    i can't remember and am watching the league cup final right now, but around 3 years ago they had (very vaguely and might be wrong) something like £100-110m held back to cover debt (aside from actually paying debt and it's reduction since) and many 10's of millions more (my memory is even vaguer on this...i think then it was possibly £40+m at a minimum and was rising every year. i have a strong suspicion this is now the £70m figure we allegedly have).

23. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wenger has confirmed this now after the Bayern match.

24. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Link?

25. Sleepy Spaceman

Sleepy Spaceman Member+

Nov 6, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC