Arsenal v Real Madrid pre/during/post match [R]

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by n4100, Mar 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n4100

n4100 Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Dont want to step on any toes, but it seems as though we've been doing ok since different people started the threads.

I think the team will finally start building on a previous win by edging the tie. We win either 2-1, or draw them on Wednesday 1-1.

I wouldn't mind seeing the same team we saw in Madrid but I don't think we will.

2. Irelandboy

Irelandboy New Member

Jan 4, 2003
    North
    I'll be happy with an "any time they score, we'll score" approach. 2-2 or a 3-2 victory. Don't want to see us holding onto a draw with 15 mins to go. Too many bad Euro memories stretching back too long.

Hopefully, Freddie v Fulham is here to stay. Henry will need a wee bit of help in this one. A shock/surprise RVP inclusion would be nice. Stand tall Kolo and Phillipe.

3. Dooglas

Dooglas Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    gahhh i dont get to watch it!!! this sucks :(

arsenal 2 RM 2

4. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Arsenal 2 v 1 RMFC Henry and Reyes to score. I think we'll see something like this.

Eboue---Toure---Senderos---Flamini

-------------Gilberto---------------
    Hleb----------Cesc-----------Reyes
    --------------Freddie--------------
    -------------Henry----------------

Subs: Walcott, Diaby, Bergkamp, Pires, Poom.

5. ibby

ibby New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Manchester
    3-3 i think there will be goals and it will be a cracker.
    COME ON ARSENAL!!!

6. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    That would probably be ok, I'd go for Diaby in lieu of Gilberto and switch Sasha and Fred.

7. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004
    I think we win win 1-0 or ateast draw 0-0

Come on You gunners!

8. BallackforArsenal

Mar 3, 2006
    London
    A realistic 2-1 win. Real Madrid will score so it is important that we score first, we have to attack them from start to finish, we can't sit back, defend and obsorb pressure.

9. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    Yeah, whoever scores first is looking great in this game. If Madrid score, we'll start to look nervy, if we score, they're bound to slump.

I expect to see us play a 4-4-2 though at home, and look for Freddie, Reyes, and Cesc to all rotate around the pitch. I'm not sure I see Freddie up top with Henry, he's much more effective in the middle of the park. Big question is who takes the field with Henry? Unless we start Bergkamp, we've got a problem, assuming Van Persie is still out. That may force Wenger into the 4-5-1 and play with Hleb in the mix as well, as FootyKid pointed out.

10. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I really don't want to see this going to penalties, so I'm hoping for a realistic 2-1 victory.

11. OklahomaGunner

Dec 21, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Seconded. I still think Gil has a ridiculous amont of cheap giveaways, though he has been stronger over the past month.

I see a 2-2 game with ample chances for both sides. Then again, Toure and Eboue keep playing like they have...those chances won't be coming from our right flank. I still think Toure is emerging as one of the top CBs in the EPL, can't figure why he doesn't get more credit than he does.

BTW, I've not read anything on RvP in a long time...when is he supposed to be back?

12. 49unbeaten

49unbeaten Member

Jan 3, 2005
    upstate ny
    very nervous about this second leg, but with the great effort this weekend and hopefully an electric atmosphere at highbury i think we can pull this out...

13. smilyfs

smilyfs New Member

Feb 22, 2006
    Australia
    Im going for a 1-0 win to the Gunners. Although I expect Madrid to be playing with alot more purpose (everyones fighting for a place on the team and i think Ronaldo wasnt even on the bench vs Athletico last weekend? - maybe rested but looks more like he was snubbed) I think the boys will stand tall . Probably someone like Freddie to grab a well deserved goal after all the work hes put in over the past few games.

Probable line up:

Lehmann

Eboue - Toure - Senderos - Flamini

Fabregas - Gilberto - Hleb

Ljungberg - Henry - Reyes

Subs : Poom, Diaby, Lupoli (or maybe Djourou), Bergkamp, Pires

14. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    ******** i'm nervous

15. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    i feel our counter is going to win this match. henry will, ONCE AGAIN, prove what a great champions league player he is.

16. Aussie_gunner_14

Aussie_gunner_14 New Member

Jan 3, 2006
    Adelaide
    -----------jens---------
    eboue---kolo--phil---flamini
    freddie---gil---cesc----reyes
    --------begkamp--henry----
    walcott,hleb,djorrou, diaby, poom, pires,larsson.

2-1 arsenal- early henry, cassano early in second half, expect bergkamp to not make full 90 min, sub for walcott at 60 min, walcot goal 61 min.

it is 7 subs named for europe matches isnt it?

17. Starfleets

Starfleets Member

Feb 8, 2006
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It all depends how well our midfield does in the first 15minutes. If we contain Real and create some chances...we'll do 'em.

However, if Real score early i can see them getting another one (0-2). Thierry needs to put his game on, so does everyone else. I want a win, and a good win at it:cool:

3-1

18. impalemeplz

impalemeplz Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Sydney
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Martin Tyler was heaping the praise on toure in the fulham game when he could of been talking about our strike force.

19. Gunner Phan

Gunner Phan Member

Dec 12, 2003
    Gramercy, NYC
    anyone else wish it was wednesday?

20. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Toure has been POTY, IMO. Consistent performance and he helps keep the rest of the line confident.

I think Cesc will have another good night and I see a 2-1 win as well as most on here. I don't think RM will be shut out 2 matches in a row, but the momentum is on Arsenal's side after the win at the Bernabeu and against Fulham.

21. Detlef

Detlef Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arsenal 1 (Pires with the late equalizer to put the boys through)
    Real Madrid 1 (Robinho)

oh and if someone can hit that p.o.s. Cicinho in the bollocks, please do so.

22. carw2005

carw2005 New Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Herts, UK
    i can see atleast a couple of goals coming from us in this game, Henry and Reyes at a guess.

We just dont know hoe Real are goin to perform though, we outclassed them last time.

2-0 or 2-1 to the arsenal imo.

23. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    From what i saw on 1 or 2 papers, they say Raul Bravo and Helguera will be defending. I repeat, Raul Bravo and Helguera.

Raul Bravo.......... The shakiest defender in La Liga, i watched the Atletico RM match and he was pretty good. I think thats what made the coach want to play him vs henry, because he may have a lil pace. However, i'd pick Cygan over him anyday. He makes the worst mistakes out there. If they play him, Henry and company will run all over him.

Helguera.........Used to be an excellent defender....now...... Pretty much sucks as well. No pace at all, slow as a goat.

Hopefully this is who they choose with i guess Ramos playing DMid.

24. Fun with Acid

Fun with Acid New Member

Mar 12, 2004
    Lake Kinkaid
    I think it is going to be cold with rain in London Wed.

A good start and some good tackels and Arsenal will have Real thinking about their contracts, new boss and the Sun back in Madrid.

We get the first goal it will end 2-0. They get the first goal ???????????

25. Martin Daoust

Martin Daoust New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Hartford, CT
    Two big questions - CAN Real play us the way other Premiership and European teams have successfully the last several years - clogging the center of the pitch and behind the ball, and if we score first can they chase the game against us from a two-goal deficit,( something no one has successfully done since 2002, and something no one has done to win since 1998)? I'm not sure its in the nature to try the first and why should they be any different than anyone else on the second. No one can chase the game against Arsenal even now, save to nick a late draw from a goal down, and that won't help them.

They either need to keep it 0-0 until very late then snatch a last-gasp winner to level things, or to score staright away then gamble for the second before we hit back. Given their options, tactics and their strengths and weaknesses, we really are in very good position right now. If we'd gotten a second goal, the tie would already be killed off. So play positively and we should be fine, really...