Arsenal tactics, or lack thereof, thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by flyerhawk, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Not a bad analogy tbh. Much of this is because Wenger didn't think the quick direct style that we played worked well in Europe and wanted to change it to a more possession based system (this was in the late Henry years IIRC, around the CL final loss). IMO we lost a lot of what were our strengths at the time and we've never really recovered that since.

2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. MisplacedSpainard

Apr 5, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  4. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Lee Dixon said its tactically stupid and unfixable.

“Dixon told BBC 5 Live: 'I honestly think they're unfixable under Arsene. What he's got there is he's created an environment which the players don't really know what they're doing without the ball.

'It's quite simple - when I watch them I think "they could beat anyone on their day going forward, but they could lose to anyone defensively".

'That summed it up at the weekend against City. The Lacazette thing is another issue, as to why he's not playing, but you play Sanchez up front, who is a chaser of the ball; if he loses the ball then he'll chase to win it back.”

“If you've got that, as a manager, you have to have the players to go and back that up, and he didn't have that. He hasn't got that because they don't know how to do that on a regular basis - they are not a pressing side.

'They do it now and again - they did it against Chelsea, they got it right against Chelsea in the cup final and in the league, and you think "wow, they're back".

'And then they fall again like they did against Watford, and then you see them trying to press Man City, one of the best passing sides in the league. How is that allowed to happen?

'If you're not a pressing side, then you have to press for months and years at a time in order to get it right, it's really difficult. It's not just a case of "you all just rush to the ball".

There have to be triggers, and you need to know when to press - which is just as hard as knowing when not to press if you're a pressing side, because sometimes you have to unpress, if you like, and just sit where you are.

'Just running willy-nilly at the ball is a disaster, especially against City.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...al-unfixable-Arsene-Wenger.html#ixzz4xt7ivtcP

7. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Dixon's wrong. Pressing City is risky given how well they can pass around a press, but we didn't pay a price for pressing City, and we did win the ball high up a few times as well.

And the goals we concede are down to mistakes WITH the ball, not because players are out of position when the team's not in possession. City's penalty and offside goal are the only goals I can think of this season that weren't down to giveaways high up the pitch.

8. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Largely agree, but part of ‘off the ball’ is structure when we have possession. We don’t have any, so when we lose the ball anywhere we're vulnerable.

mebeSajid and DaPrince84 repped this.
  9. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Agreed, but that requires a complete rethink that’ll take two seasons to implement, and Wenger can’t do that.

And that’s not what Dixon said (though he might think it).

10. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #35 DaPrince84, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017

footykid and thebigman repped this.
  11. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wenger has no idea about cms

DaPrince84 repped this.
  12. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Valid points, but the Premier League is currently too fast for Xhaka.

Difference between International football and club competition is like the difference between the NCAA and the NBA.

13. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Clive mentions the speed on his timeline but Wenger isn't helping.

14. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    6E30A006-9E75-4194-B287-ECD624E51378.jpeg Rick B!

Very recent turbulent protests in Zimbabwe have generated this stark sign and image. As the Daily Mirror brazenly declared, “one is an aging leader who has been clinging onto power for too long, and the other is Robert Mugabe” . LMAO!!!!

15. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That's not funny.

Shen-O repped this.
  16. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Emma Goldman would dig if and dsnce accordingly. It’s a shit sandwich there. The picture of the crowd massive rally in Harare seemed to go to the very end of the horizon, so Big was the crowd.

In times like this, a little levity never hurt anybody. Expect the unexpected at all “festivals of the oppressed. “

17. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes it is, lighten up

My Zimbabwe chum is very happy about this coup

18. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    IDK - right now it looks like they've replaced one autocrat with another one.

19. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As funny as those global Wenger Out signs have been over the last year or two, this one strikes me as probably a Photoshop masterpiece. Not only does mentioning "Wenger" seem pretty implausible, given the real gravity of the protests that happened this weekend, but the "ZW" at the bottom of the sign made me think that it really said "Mugabe Out! ZW" until someone changed the name so as to troll the English tabloids et al.

20. danielh

danielh Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  21. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a little tidbit I just came across:
    https://www.arsenal.com/news/how-george-graham-drilled-famous-back-four

Nigel & Lee talk about the kind of training they had, which made them so good. Dicko says "it was so, so boring" and "the only reward was when we won on Saturday".

Since Bouldy was also part of that crew, and he's been our defensive coach for years now, it's disappointing that we haven't been able to consistently recreate that discipline and prowess.

That said, right at the moment we seem to have found a strong back line with Kos-Mustafi-Monreal, plus Bellerin-Kalasinac. Touch wood.

thebigman repped this.
  22. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Games also different now

Less physical and much quicker

Shit being a cb these days unless u can play it from the back

23. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Defending as a whole looks to have gotten worse, its why when you see a above average keeper or defender they go for a lot of money. Quality just isn't really there and the way clubs churn players you will never have players get the understanding between each other unless they play for the same country as well.

thebigman repped this.
  24. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't think the quality of the defenders are worse than years gone by. I think the tactical evolution has simply reached a point where different things are being demanded of the defenders and in some cases (we being a prime example) the defenders are left very vulnerable.

We have no idea how much influence Bould has though.

25. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't like the back 3/5, I prefer the back 4. 2 centre backs with 2 proper midfielders in front (they need energy and tackling ability above all else, a bit of forward thinking is a bonus) would shore everything up and even allow us to get an extra attacking player in the team.

Think about this for tomorrow's game:
    Cech
    Bellerin, Koscielny, Holding, Monreal
    Maitland-Niles, Wilshere
    Welbeck, Ozil, Sanchez
    Lacazette

I admit I would love to see Maitland-Niles in the team, he has pace and strength. It hasn't done him any favours playing out of position at left wing-back in Europa/League Cup games. I think it's about time he was given a Premier League game or two ahead of players like Coquelin, Xhaka and Elneny who have, for the most part, been bang average all season.

Instead we'll probably see:
    Cech
    Koscielny, Mertesacker, Monreal
    Bellerin, Xhaka, Coquelin, Kolasinac
    Ozil, Sanchez
    Lacazette

Now you tell me which team you would expect to inflict most damage on West Ham?