Arsenal Ownership

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by chjoak, May 19, 2017.

?

Would you approve?

1. Y

7 vote(s)
    53.8%
  2. N

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
  1. Fifty

Fifty Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he cared then he would spend money. He doesn't give a shit.

2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't disagree with you. But there are legions on this board who've argued that he doesn't want to win trophies, that he's content with getting top 4, and the millions that come along with UCL qualification.

3. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Why wouldn't he want to win trophies? That makes no sense. He just doesn't want to spend money to win trophies. That's different.

Financially speaking, getting top 4 while investing no money is better than investing 150m to win the league. It's understandable from a business standpoint.

His failure is he's now got a manager who's making his assets worth less every year. It is particularly important for an owner who isn't going to inject new investments to get a manager who can maximize his assets, which Wenger isn't doing.

GunnerJacket and AEAAFC96 repped this.
  4. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Save Our Club Aliko

S.O.C.A.

5. AEAAFC96

AEAAFC96 Member+

Mar 27, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Stan had a manager who was not Arsene Wenger, then I'd see his point. Disagree with it mind you, but I'd see it.

6. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course he wouldn't mind winning trophies, who would! As you so aptly say.

Apparently I needed to be a bit more precise in my language when characterizing that common view of him... I should've said "he's not driven primarily to win trophies."

So there. Nothing to nit-pick any more. And we're back in agreement. ;)

And I agree with the rest of your post above, in how you characterize Kroenke, and how his business model is suddenly in more jeopardy than ever, because we finished 5th.

But a bigger issue for a very large portion of the Arsenal fanbase, perhaps the majority, is that they're quite desperate to compete for major titles again. (And as much as I still like the FA Cup, that alone doesn't cut it)

So that means that the fans and the owner are quite out of synch in their goals & expectations. I think we're also out of synch with the manager, but less so.

Wenger does in fact show a lot of drive to win major trophies... he's just fvcked that up for the last 13 years... 2016 being perhaps the best example. But I digress.

7. Fifty

Fifty Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cantona94 repped this.
  8. danielh

danielh Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Imagine when the stadium gets built.

This is a city that has and will always be silver and black.

NFL done f'ed up.

cantona94 repped this.
  9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean in terms of fan apathy and empty stadium? There are many reasons why I think that would take a long time, and one or two relegations, to get that bad... it would royally suck if it happened!!

My 2nd club team is NYRB and to see them struggle to put 8-10K people in their beautiful 25K stadium just pains me every time I go/see them.

10. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

11. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ffs he will never sell will he

12. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Jesus... How long till Kroenke sells us? Someone has to offer silly money like the Chinese

13. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kroenke's sports ambitions are basically the plot for The Producers

Fifty repped this.
  14. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    https://www.sbnation.com/2017/9/19/...olin-kaepernick-los-angeles-rams-owners-money

"If you see an NFL franchise as just another asset to be maximized and squeezed for every dime, being good at football — i.e. producing a good product — doesn’t matter. It’s not even rational to put effort towards anything but “value creation,” i.e. shuffling around pieces of the franchise until they sit in the most profitable positions. The Rams doubled their value overnight by leaving St. Louis and moving to L.A. They are a miserable football team run by a despised owner playing in an empty stadium, but the Rams could care less. The fourth most valuable team in the NFL sucks by design, and shines bright enough on the balance sheet to eliminate any real concerns about how bad the product is on the field."

15. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Here's hoping Kroenke doesn't buy out Usmanov.

16. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That will be the end of Arsenal

cantona94 repped this.
  17. Fifty

Fifty Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we've already turned that corner.

cantona94 repped this.
  18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #69 NorthBank, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    This

p.s. Amy's article mentions how if this were to happen and Stan were to increase his stake from 67% to 97% then he could then take the club private. Which raises the question, is there some magic threshold between 67 and 97 which allows for this? I'm far from expert in these matters, but I woulda thought that he would have to get to 100 in order to make it private. Awaiting clarification...

19. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Id guess with 97% he could force the last 3% to sell thereby giving him 100% to go private.

20. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    when offer to buy over 25% of shares (I believe thats the figure), you are obligated to make the same offer for all the shares.

AST does not have to sell, but those shares cost like 75 million. They probably will.

21. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Depends on UK law and Arsenal's corporate structure.

In the US, there are a number of ways to force a tiny minority of shareholders to sell. Given the complaints by AST folks on twitter, it seems like that's also the case at Arsenal.

22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm, that's one more of those regulations that favors the big guy (big money) over the little guy. :(

23. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  24. AEAAFC96

AEAAFC96 Member+

Mar 27, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Common sense dictates that, if I own a share of an entity, not only would I get a seat on the board but I would have some power behind the decisions made in the interest of the club.

Unless there's something written in English/EU law that says "Just because you own a stake doesn't mean you have decision-making power" I'd think Usmanov would make a move to sue Kroenke.

Am I wrong?