ARS-MUN [R]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Tigerpunk, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    No, I don't think any discussion is necessary about the penalty to Bayern. My question is how many of Boatang's fouls deserved cards. He received a yellow for his foul leading to a penalty, and I actually don't think I agree - didn't seem tactical. But then later he fouls Gibbs to break up a counter; doesn't that have to be a second yellow?

[Edited: I thought another foul was Boatang but I've been informed it was not].

Thoughts?

2. colman1860

colman1860 Member

Nov 13, 2012
    London, England
    I didn't notice a tactical foul by him, but that could my the fault of my crappy stream totally legal tv channel.

Is anyone else sick of the whining in the media about how "the penalty is punishment enough" every time there's a DOGSO + penalty situation?

3. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    I think that would have been just a foul, no caution, anywhere else on the field. Nothing particularly reckless about it.

4. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're sick of it now, just wait for the next couple months. These two matches have now given Platini the poster child for his crusade. Two "triple punishment" DOGSO red cards against English teams in the world's premier international club competition, when Platini needs British support to change the Laws. I imagine the PR campaign is going to heat up through the IFAB meeting in March and possibly straight through the World Cup.

msilverstein47 repped this.
  5. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Two choices: Change the rule, or allow replay.
    It's simply too big a decision to make, and has too much influence on a game.

6. chaoslord08

chaoslord08 Member

Dec 24, 2006
    Fayetteville AR
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How in the world does replay get into this discussion?

7. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Maybe the refs have been told to give DOGSO and PK against English teams so as to help with getting the rule changed.:devilish:
    Let's see what happens next week when the others play.

PH

8. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Option 3:
    Don't foul a man in on goal in your penalty area.

JasonMa, BTFOOM, SccrDon and 4 others repped this.
  9. colman1860

colman1860 Member

Nov 13, 2012
    London, England
    Oh God people in my twitter feed are arguing that the red was for "Dangerous Play"

10. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    :ROFLMAO:

11. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

Jun 16, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It just makes me wonder how fun soccer will be to watch when an attacker is fouled from behind every time there is a breakaway, or when a defender blocks a goal with his hands every time he can.

refinDC repped this.
  12. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    God people use twitter? Maybe dangerous play is in the bible!:D

PH

colins1993 repped this.
  13. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
  14. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009

Anyone have video on this one? Poll wrote
    That doesn't sound to me like he's being unfair in his analysis -- but I haven't seen the play.

15. chaoslord08

chaoslord08 Member

Dec 24, 2006
    Fayetteville AR
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG] Here's a gif

Alberto and socal lurker repped this.
  16. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    If Robben hadn't been knocked over, he would have easily got to the ball, no matter where it was headed at the moment of the contact.

PH

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  17. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.

Rizzoli doesn't give this as a red card and it's a huge scandal. Sometimes I think Graham Poll would fit in perfectly on this message board.

Alberto repped this.
  18. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I don't know that I agree he would get there easily -- he was up in the air in an awkward jump to get the foot on the ball, and it is going off from his trajectory. But I still agree with the red -- I'm not speculating on how the attacker was going to land in the absence of the foul since it is the foul that means we are in the realm of speculation.

SccrDon and Thezzaruz repped this.
  19. Eastshire

Eastshire Member+

Apr 13, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't think he easily gets to the ball. The touch was heavy.

I do think he has an excellent opportunity to get to the ball and if he does so he scores from that angle probably 80% of the time. That's a goal scoring opportunity. But it's not an easy play.

I think you're overstating the ease of the play and there's no real reason to.

20. LondonAFC

LondonAFC Member

Mar 17, 2012
    Sagna was as likely to get to the ball as Robben was, especially when you consider Robben was still in the air when Sagna was closer to the ball.

21. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    No way.

22. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    If the ball had more speed and went out over the end line, I think you could make an argument for yellow, but the ball never went out.

Wenger is trying to deflect from the criticism of Ozil. That could have been the single worst head case penalty I have ever seen. (Maybe Baggio in '94?)

23. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    I can see arguing on either side of this one. I don't know if Robben would have gotten there in time, Sagna might have cut off the angle and prevented the goal.

Note there lot's of "might" in there. What was the rest of the game like? Any chance this fell into a "grey" area for DOGSO and he took the hard way due to game conditions?

24. LondonAFC

LondonAFC Member

Mar 17, 2012
    The game was played at a high intensity by Arsenal but it wasn't a "dirty" game. He had already given a penalty to Arsenal which makes it that little bit easier to give a penalty to the other side. Not saying it's right or wrong, or should even come into the thinking however that's sometimes how it goes. Likewise, like last week, Webb had given a penalty to Liverpool away at Arsenal so it was that little bit tougher to given a second penalty in the same half.

25. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    You do realize Sczceney didn't INTEND to foul, right? He was going for the ball and missed.