ARS - MON [Emirates Cup, R]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Tigerpunk, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    Ref misses a penalty (and a DOGSO red card), giving a yellow and a free kick outside the box. Preseason, so nobody cares, but pretty embarrassing.

Great no offsides call on the same play, as he was being held on by a Monaco defender on the other side.

Don't have a question, but the announcers noted a particular issue - the AR who needed to hekp Atkinson decide if it was inside or outside the box was out of position because he was tending to the offsides call and couldn't match Apkom's speed.

2. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm only here to say the Puma ref kits are about as dreadful looking as anything Official Sports puts out.

Is the EPL switching to these this year? Or is it only because Arsenal is a Puma team in a friendly?

MetroFever repped this.
  3. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I wondered that too. The yellow socks are a particularly egregious fashion violation. Looks like the ridiculous things they make the Italians wear in their league.

GoDawgsGo repped this.
  4. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    From wikipedia:

• Additionally, referee kits are now being made by Nike, sponsored by EA Sports, and Nike has a new match ball, the Ordem Premier League.

GlennAA11 and cleansheetbsc repped this.
  5. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Those kits made Atkinson look like an 80 year old man.

Actually, I thought they were worse than the hideous OSI stuff we wear.

cleansheetbsc repped this.
  6. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good question.

For some of the state side friendlies, some of our referees have been wearing OSI kits for some of the matches, and others they are wearing Adidas kits they use for MLS.

Last year the BPL refs switched to Nike. I'd imagine Nike wouldn't be signing a 1 year contract for something like that, but that it would be multi-year. I'd imagine Arsenal provided the kits for this match, but who knows. If they aren't wearing the Nike kits, I would've guessed they'd wear the Umbro kits of the English FA. But if a team is going to give you a bunch of free stuff are you really going to turn it down just because the socks are hideous? Personally I still would have dropped the socks and worn black. Colored socks look just awful.

7. sm. town ref

sm. town ref Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Are these the kits you guys are talking about? I couldn't find the game

[​IMG]

8. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    No. They had black short. And the yellow was a little more green. And the shirts had collars.

9. sm. town ref

sm. town ref Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    But sort of like that?

Thought I saw something like you described when I googled them.... not pretty.

Kind of curious because next year the CSA might be changing from Umbro to the Nike kit (yes, same company now). Not that I will be on any televised game, but some higher end referees will require it for college/university.

I much prefer the Umbro Premier II kit with the white pinstripes in the shirt and shorts.

10. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia

AremRed repped this.
  11. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    Wow those are ugly as shit.