Aristeguieta

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by LINETRASH, Jun 24, 2015.

1. LINETRASH

LINETRASH Member+

Jul 19, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Handsome Pete repped this.
  2. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, because Sapong and an aged Casey are all we need. Oh and Hoppenot! How could I forget him?

billf repped this.
  3. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Out of sight, out of mind.

billf repped this.
  4. christie3

christie3 Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Rising Sun, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has had limited games to show us what he can do. But he has a nose for the goal and seems to find good positions in the box. They have him playing the hold up role that CJ can do much better. I'd like to see the team keep him since he is young.

cwelch999 and BuddhaWake repped this.
  5. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Having a guy like Nando would work if the wingers were effective in any of the games he played, or maybe a second striker.

cwelch999, Tyr and BuddhaWake repped this.
  6. LINETRASH

LINETRASH Member+

Jul 19, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #6 LINETRASH, Jun 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2015
    • I will gladly eat my words but his loan spell so far has been a failure....injury prone and can't keep the ball. He's fckin awful!!

And Nando is cleaning up the league...

He's not better than anyone we have at the club....we need better quality players, its a no for me....

7. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's a good finisher but he seems so... limited. Can't dribble at defenders. Can't pass that well. Struggles with hold up play. Lacks speed. Constantly injured. I wouldn't purchase unless he came at a discount price.

Handsome Pete, aequitas and LINETRASH repped this.
  8. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I swear this board is bipolar. Half the time he's on an all-time team, the rest he's garbage.

cwelch999, Starpork, Doop and 1 other person repped this.
  9. LINETRASH

LINETRASH Member+

Jul 19, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would you sign him based on what he's done so far?

Or would you keep your powder dry and look for a better striker? I don't think he's done enough for me...and locking someone down who has barely played so far is a mistake, IMO.

10. DOOPist

DOOPist Member

May 17, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I have to hand it to the organization. The undisclosed partial season loan really takes the typical offseason hope-building smoke and mirrors to the next level. Not sure how they can top this for next season.

I fear the whole debate over whether to extend or purchase Nando is a moot point. In the Fantasyland scenario in which the Union has the money and is willing to spend it, I'd be on the fence.

UnionDues, Tyr and UdiHrant repped this.
  11. UdiHrant

UdiHrant Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you! Nando yes or Nando-no is debatable. The absolutely SLEASY way that this organization LIES and blows smoke up our asses is unacceptable. New owners - that's what I want for next season.

We Deserve Better.

Doop repped this.
  12. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'd need to see more before I bought him. But dumping him now leaves us with just a hole for the rest of the season, knowing this FO. There's a whole universe of other strikers out there but who would this FO bring in, knowing the financial troubles they are in?

Still, you claim Nando is "not better than anyone we have" so maybe you're right, we'll do just as well with Hoppenot taking his minutes.

13. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Might as well give the minutes to Catic or sign someone like Elney. This season is done.

LINETRASH repped this.
  14. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He made a lot of All-Time Union lists. Yet I don't recall Sapong's name ever coming up.

I'd keep him at a deep, deep discount. Otherwise, cut him loose.

UnionDues repped this.
  15. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember when folks were bitching that Sapong was (at the time, at least) our only signing? And the best option at striker?

Tyr repped this.
  16. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Injuries aside I think Nando does better in a different system. But I definitely don't think he's being put in the best posistions to succeed (when he plays).

17. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    He's not even out for the same Columbus injury right now. Injured something in practice. Never healthy

UnionDues and Handsome Pete repped this.
  18. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Hi! New guy here, I'd like to see, now this may sound crazy, both Nando and Sapong in a 4-4-2. Maybe with two strikers they'd, you know, score more.

Maybe?

19. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    CJ has shown enough to be considered the number 1 striker on this team. I just don't see what Nando does better than CJ. So at best, we're talking about exercising a hefty purchase option on a #2 striker who duplicates a lot of what CJ does and also pushes him out to the wing, where CJ is less successful. If you're worried about offensive production, it seems like it would be smarter to let Nando go and spend that money on a winger (or left back or DM, whatever.)

I just hope they lock CJ up long term instead of trading him to Orlando next year.

Tyr, celt1997 and Handsome Pete repped this.
  20. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem with this is that it moves CJ out of his area of influence. If Nando is in, he is the poacher/holder, which means CJ plays back a bit and ends up getting in the way of Wenger/LeToux (well they get in his way).

We are winning games when we can hit quickly, on the break. Unfortunatley Nando does not fit into that system. If we can find a way to start controlling possesion and the midfield better, than Nando is in the picture. Right now, though, if he went back at the end of this loan, I wouldn't be fussed. I like how we look playing fast. I would like us to build to that strength.

LuckyStriker and Dills repped this.
  21. SOwannaB

SOwannaB Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they'd only work together if our game plan was centered around crossing the ball repeatedly into box because both players are more central target strikers. In order to do that, we'd need to go out and grab two starting quality wingers. Not striker/winger hybrids like Le Toux and Wenger. We'd need two guys that had enough pace and ball skills to create their own space and also have crossing ability. Nando and Sapong aren't guys that can create for each other so we need that distribution from the wing.

I like the idea but we don't have the wide players currently to make it work. I honestly think our best formation right now might be a 4-4-2 with a diamond midfield of Carrol/Edu, Nogueira, Pfeffer, and Maidana.

22. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I don't think the lineup they trotted out the last couple games is terrible as long as someone reminds Mo every five minutes that he doesn't play in the midfield anymore. Mo and Carroll are both playing too high - at one point last night Carroll had the ball all the way up on the edge of Seattle's box, lost it, and then wasn't where he was supposed to be to stifle the breakaway. They're actually playing attractively and somewhat competently, but lack of discipline is a real cause for concern.

23. christie3

christie3 Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Rising Sun, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't that the game plan now? They take the ball up the wing and cross it in hoping CJ gets to it. Having both up top adds an extra body for those crosses to possibly hit target.

24. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But what about the FANTASTIC wing play we've been seeing this year?

25. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always enjoy the 60 minutes Wenger gets to run ineffectually at opposing defenses before being subbed off.

Tyr, drewuke, Handsome Pete and 2 others repped this.