Argentinos who have won the Champions League

Discussion in 'Argentinos Abroad' started by anitnegra, May 21, 2008.

1. anitnegra

anitnegra New Member

Jan 9, 2001
    new york city
    Having read a bunch of boring articles about today's final, I got to thinking about how many Argentines have been on a team that has won Champion's League or, its predecessor, the European Champion Clubs' Cup?

I would like to look this up online, but since I'm at work I was hoping someone else might have a good idea or know of a few names (other than Messi with Barcelona, which by the way, didn't he miss the final?).

2. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes he did. But he still has a CL winners medal. The only other ones I can think of are Di Stefano, Rial, and Dominguez from the early Real team of the 50s/60s, and Solari and Redondo from the Real team of the 90s/00s. Leandro Grimi was on Milan last year but I'm not sure if he was on the 25 man CL squad.

3. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Good question. I would have to research it, but looking at the last few years, the record of the Argentine players who participated in the final is not good. Basically for the past six years they all lost.

The last Argentine to play in a final and win it was Santiago Solari with Real Madrid. Fernando Redondo, also with Real Madrid, won it in 2000.

Hopefully Tevez will have the same luck today.

These are the Argentine players that played in the final this century:

2008: Carlos Tevez, (Manchester United, Playing as we speak)
    2007: Javier Mascherano, (Liverpool, Lost)
    2006: None (Leonel Messi of Barcelona was injured and missed the final)
    2005: Hernan Crespo, (Milan, Lost)
    2004: Hugo Ibarra and Lucas Bernardi, (Monaco, Lost)
    2003: Mauro Camoranesi, (Juventus, Lost)
    2002: Santiago Solari, (ReaL Madrid, Won), Diego Placente, (Bayer Leverkusen, Lost)
    2001: Roberto Ayala, Mauricio Pelegrino, Pablo Aimar, Kili Gonzalez, (Valencia, Lost)
    2000: Fernando Redondo (Real Madrid, Won), Mauricio Pelegrino, Kili Gonzalez, Piojo Lopez (Valencia, Lost)

4. Diego Maradona

Diego Maradona Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    London, England
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    TEVEZ won it

also I am surprised Maradona never won it as he only won the Uefa

5. Catel

Catel Member