Argentines who play for other national teams: would they make Argentina's squad?

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by argentine soccer fan, Feb 9, 2006.

1. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Rogelio Funes Mori blatantly expressed his interest today in getting naturalized as a Mexican citizen in order to play for their NT. With Martino now in charge of el tri, it seems quite likely it could happen.

RiverGaucho and SupaMario repped this.
  2. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It would be no surprise. Mexico is a country with no tradition in football and will take any argentine or brazilian. Funes Mori is a laughing stock in Argentina, but is a big idol in Monterrey, and like so many before him, will play for the NT.

Lets not forget, the likes of Guilles Franco, Lucas Lobos, Matias Vuoso, Chaco Gimenez, have all played for mexico... They even wanted Pavone at one point, which is just sad.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Guido Rodriguez end up on the Mexican NT. I am surprised someone like Marchesin decided to fight it out as the Argentina NT goalkeeper, he would be the unquestioned starter for Mexico long ago.

Just think about it, Mexico hosted the world cup twice and couldn't even make the semifinal. As disastrous as Argentina's world cup was, it was just as good as Mexico's, who was embarrassed 3-0 by Sweden and than trounced by Brazil. A truly pathetic footballing nation where the clubs move around like american franchises.

3. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If I am not mistaken, I remember the U.S. was thinking about naturalizing both them or something in those lines. I believe they held green cards, since they had lived in the US for apparently eight years. But they never became naturalized citizens and went back home. I kinda wish they did, so we wouldn’t have to have Ramiro play as a CB.

4. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    A bit late... but it turns out this kid made his official debut with the Paraguayan NT earlier this year in a 4-2 loss to Mexico.

He was also taken to Brazil for the 2019 Copa America, where he started in all four matches played by the Paraguayan NT throughout the competition.

Seems he's doing quite well at Cerro Porteño too..