Argentine NT: News, Stats & Players [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by jimmi_moh, Jul 17, 2014.

1. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]

The funny thing is the guy gave an interview recently stating that he’s still convinced they would have won the WC if he was never let go

2. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Hard to win the World Cup when you're not there.

3. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    This would be my team going forward until Lanzini comes back.

Armani
    Bustos-Pezzella-Ota-Tag
    ————-Ascacibar
    ——Pavon————LoCelso
    —————-Dybala
    ———Icardi————Lautaro

Bustos provides ball carrying to support the offense. Pavon provides width on the right side. Lautaro can open wide left and cut in. Dybala plays where he likes. Lo Celso links from the left side.

Lanzini can replace Lautaro when he returns and I would consider Palacios for Pavon’s position but that would alter the style of play.

4. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    For some reason I think having those 3 upfront at once will not work. Dybala should be playing alongside Icardi upfront, slightly behind him or Lautaro alongside Icardi or Lautaro alongside Dybala. Lautaro is Kun type of forward, he;s also clinical enough as a #9.

Dybala doesnt seems to be strong enough to cover lots of distance , he shouldnt be playing near midfield but inside or close to the box instead. We need more muscle and speed in midfield.

-----------Ascacibar--------
    ----Lamela---LoCelso---Pavon

SupaMario and Albiceleste2010 repped this.
  5. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Pavon is rubbish, forget him. Lamela and Cervi should be our two wingers in the squad, and if either is injured/suspended, I would look at De Paul, Meza, Lautaro Acosta or Salvio next.

6. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It's far too early too write off Pavon. All young players experience troughs apart from the very exceptional like Messi. It is how they adapt their game that counts otherwise Tagliafico might well be in the dustbin already.

I would seriously consider De Paul and Perotti still. Both can play centrally if needed are skilled and direct something that Icardi would thrive on. Lamela has been played out wide to accomodate Eriksen at Tottenham and it has been detrimental for him. There is no way Pip he should be shoehorned into that role for the seleccion.

Rattlehead and SupaMario repped this.
  7. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If you are good enough on form then you get picked. I like this from Scaloni although I would get those deep lying midfielders changed ASAP. Players do emerge out of nowhere at times from reserves to the national representation. Granted it is not often but it does occur even with non professional players.

8. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    My dear fellow thank you. It strictly was not a trip over to your part of this continental landmass more of a long excursion around Washington State, B.C and Alberta. Great scenery, saw orca and also the heat and the smoke stand out. Saw several Argentine shirts when in the cities. Not too much in the way of high art but a couple of impressive Argentine steak houses in Calgary. I however did not partake being vegetarian and concerned environmentalist. ;)

Fingers crossed Poland next year followed by Russia. And then in due course Argentina. I do hate flying. A couple of nasty turbulence events as well which had me thinking is this the end ?

Good to see Scaloni and his team making selections on form and potential. I for one hope they keep their jobs. So far as I can see they have done little wrong and there can be continuity between the pibes and the not so older seniors.

9. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yep, he should keep working on his actual plan. I dont see any reason to overreact from this narrow lost against a solid team like Brazil. When we beat them 1-0 last year, we're actually in terrible form, but friendly is friendly, its a place for experiment and building the chemistry.

At least this match showed Scolani that Romero had no business to be in the team.

Even Messi needs lots of time to find his goalscoring prowess in NT. 16 goals after 65 games is really poor for his Barca standard but he eventually found his confidence and finishing touch and hit 50 goals since 2012. The point is, people should be more patient and give more time for these younger guys to strive.

10. Moaiyad

Moaiyad New Member

Argentina
    Oct 18, 2018
    Hi dears
    My name is Moaiyad. And I'm new member of this forum. My favorite team is Argentina NT. I'm so happy to be part of this page.

I'm apologizing if my language isn't clear. That's because English isn't my first language.

BTW. I'm here as Argentinian fan. Being here will give several benfits. As I can improve my English language skills, build new friendship and to share experiences and ideas between me and all of you guys.

Thanks

soul24rage and Burr repped this.
  11. Moaiyad

Moaiyad New Member

Argentina
    Oct 18, 2018
    Jose Pekerman is my favorite DT. In my opinion he was the best national DT among all DTs who crossed over the NT since 1990.

Most of us remember how he built strong and disciplined team in 2006 with all collective and amazing goals in that championship. Anyway, I think Tabeia should ask pekerman to come back again as Argentina DT.

12. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Pekerman is a small team manager, I am glad he is not managing Argentina and Colombia will also move forward without him. Argentina could well have won WC06 if not for his lack of balls. Just imagine this team:

Abbondanzieri
    Zanetti - Ayala - Samuel - Sorin
    Mascherano - L Gonzalez - Riquelme
    Messi - Crespo - Tevez

Subs: Franco, Coloccini, Heinze, Cambiasso, Veron, Rodriguez, Saviola

13. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yea, Pekerman did the same mistake 3 times, replacing Roman against England, Croatia (in friendlies) and then did the same thing against Germany at WC, we led those games and ended up losing. I think he resigned cause he clearly knows its all down to him.

At the time we had a solid midfield , defence, attack and dominating possession , so unlike Sampa's team, Pekerman team never need to backpedalling. He had Saviola, Aimar, Roman, Crespo and Messi sitting on the bench altogether just for nothing, a complete waste by Pekerman.

14. Moaiyad

Moaiyad New Member

Argentina
    Oct 18, 2018
    What I don't agree about pekerman.
    That we had same levels or might be more better in WC 2002 with Bielsa. And the same in 2010 with Maradona. But actually we didn't saw the same game quality and performance as we found with Pekerman team in WC 2006.
    Moreover, let us don't forget that Pekerman is a historical man in Argentina despite some of his mistakes & by him, we wined with three championships of youth teams. And actually he is the one who discovered Requilme, Aimar, Saviola, Sorin, Colotchini & Hinze. So even the good quality of those players we had in 2006 is actually considered as achievement of him.

15. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Not taking anything away from his achievement with the U20 team but Argentina had won U20 before and after Pekerman era. Argentina won two olympics and two U20 post Pekerman. That's 4 youth titles in few years span.

The major difference between Argentina team in the past and today is the absent of traditional playmaker. Pekerman took charged of the u20 and senior team when they're blessed with so many great midfielders.

Imagine if Messi play against Germany in 2006 quarterfinal... Messi played part on the built up to the winning goal against Mexico and had a goal wrongly disallowed for offside not long before that. Why in all sudden Pekerman decided to sit him on the bench in QF? it proof that he chickened out and afraid of Germany.

There were times when Argentina easily outclassed Barcelona passing game

Albiceleste2010 repped this.
  16. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you mean by Pekerman having discovered those players? I'm pretty sure the clubs involved in their development discovered them first.

Albiceleste2010 and locoxriver repped this.
  17. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pereyra with another goal for Watford. Still in great form.

Aguero scored but has missed a couple sitters as well.

Lamela puts Spurs up before the half.

Albiceleste2010 and locoxriver repped this.
  18. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that it matters much to us right now but ouch. :eek:

Saw the replay and he fell awkwardly putting a lot of weight on his arm.

19. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Hopefully he'll recovered soon. Lucky enough its not leg or foot injury. Some players never really recover fully after major leg injury, their playing form gets affected forever. Beside, its pretty good that his body will have few weeks rest after playing non stop.

20. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think when Messi comes back to the NT for Copa, he shouldnt play in midfield as fake playmaker. He should be playing behind right behind the #9. Hopefully the new midfield with the likes of Santiago, Lo Celso, Lanzini and Lamela would have form a great chemistry by then.

We really need to utilize Messi finishing ability. I know Sampa tried that once or twice but it didnt work because he didnt have any creativity in midfield outside Banega. We all know Perez, Masche and Biglia has zero creativity. Even then, Messi managed to showed his clinical finish through Banega's pass. He should be in that kind of position more often, not roaming in midfield getting swarm by 3-4 players before he even gets the ball.

His goal yesterday before getting injured.

Lamela's goal turnout to be Spurs winner. He really rediscovered his Roma's form. He already has 5 goals + 2 assists so far in 8 games.

locoxriver, Burr and Albiceleste2010 repped this.
  21. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Bobby P is in excellent form. He also put in a real defensive effort up and down his wing all day winning the ball several times. His finish for the second goal was Messiesque.

Lamela was MOTM and he really looks a different character now. Determination and desire and it is reaping rewards. Should be called up for the games against Mexico.

Cristian Romero played well against Juventus. The u20 centreback is another of the promising crop of kids we have in the defensive corps coming through. His Genoese team mate and compatriot Claudio Spinelli ex of Tigre has been sent to Crotone on loan in serie B. Just a couple of substitute appearances for him unfortunately. Hopefully he will establish himself there quickly and replace Piatek when he is sold by Genoa.

Rattlehead repped this.
  22. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  23. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    What's more impressive is that I believe it was Romero's debut against a team like Juve away and vs players like CR and Mandzukic. Will keep an eye on him, but for now a good game considering the circumstances.

24. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We are projecting to have an embarrassment of riches at midfield with this new generation of players.

DMs: Ascacibar, Paredes, Battaglia, Escalante
    CMs: Lo Celso, Palacios, Caceres, J Correa
    WGs: Lamela, De Paul, Cervi, Pavon, Rigoni
    AMs: Lanzini, G Martinez, Meza, Andrade, Barco

I really hope Scaloni only selects players 26 or younger for the Copa America next summer, a crucial first step in building a great WC side.

25. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Barca are closely monitoring Palacios. I really hope he stays at River or heads to a team where he will get playing time. Going to Barca would only mean that he’ll be part of the rotation.