Argentina : World cup 2018 Russia discussion

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by Rattlehead, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well you're asking who's 2 players that dominated for over a decade and try to compare it to Mbappe who's yet to achieve anything major outside this one month tournament....

As I said, he's definetely the best young player today, no doubt about that. My point is, its still long way to go before he can be compare to other great players that already proof themselves for many years. For now he had a great WC at 19 but remains to be seen what he'd achieve 10 years from now.

Would you consider Gotze and Rodriguez as oustanding players in last 4 years? I know they're being touted as future Ballon winners after having a great WC in 2014.

Maradona would have been WC winner before 20 if Menotti decided to include him in the 23 list back in 1978. The same with Messi in 2006, there's a big chance he might win it if Pekerman didnt bench him in QF. That team was super solid and didnt lose a single game baring a shootout.

SupaMario repped this.
  2. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Anyway, if you go to FIFATV youtube channel, the France vs Argentina highlight is the 2nd most viewed video behind only Spain vs Portugal.

3. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    :laugh:

Sick burn!

4. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Mbappe is far more talented than Cristiano Ronaldo, so is Hazard by the way.

Gotze was never rated as a potential Balon D'Or winer, not ever. James may still win it as he is only 26 and Bayern Munich's leading player. With him in form Colombia beats England, then beats Sweden and reaches at least the semifinals of the tournament, where it would have been an even chance against Croatia.

5. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree Gotze was never rated that high. He was also undone by health issues more than anything else. Not really his fault his career has gone the way it has.

locoxriver repped this.
  6. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Gotze was dubbed as the next German wonderkid, he was huge 6 years ago or so. Felix Magath had said he was “once in a lifetime talent” Matthias Sammer had said he was one the best talents Germany had ever produced and the list goes on. He was immensely talented, like Mbbape, he won a World Cup like Mbbape, but as is the case with many people and journalists, they tend to be very quick to make assessments by calling players as the next “King of Football.” Calling somebody the king of a sport is putting them on an pedestal as an all-time great. Let’s wait a few more years and see how their careers play-out before we call somebody the next King.

Rattlehead repped this.
  7. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Lothar Matthaus seems the only Germany legend that always rate a player objectively.

8. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He is, CR wasnt even goalscorer until his 6th season. He scored 0-12 goals in his first 5 seasons. My point is, Mbappe hasnt proof himself in a long stretch. He's having 1 great tournament which which only lasted for 1 month and there's no way you can rate any player as all time great until they play at least 7-8 seasons at highest level and showing consistency during those span.

For intense, Ronaldinho won WC in his early 20's and at one point could have challange Pele and Maradona , but at the end of the day, he came up short because he's already faded at 27 where he suppose to be at absolute peak. Mbappe is the best young talent out there but that's all I could say for now.