ARGENTINA: Copa America 2009 host OFFICIAL

Discussion in 'Copa América Centenario 2016' started by DonEliasFigeroua, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Re: Copa America 2009 host

Tough to say. Does CONMEBOL wait till the World Cup is over and organizes it the next year? Fatigue may come into play as the players are gonna take their break (June-July) to play in tournaments in both 2010 and 2011.

Or does CONMEBOL does it in 2009 right before the WC with the South American quals at full force? We know what a marathon of games it is with the all vs. all format. It happened in Peru 2004 with the qualifiers and Copa America in the same year. The tournament ended up being pretty successful.

2. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

I think having the Copa America one year after every World Cup would be a great idea. Some teams that underperformed will have something to prove and the ones that didn't qualify at all will be looking for redemption... just like what we see nowadays. :)

It's my opinion but it might change depending how good or bad this next Copa America ends up being for me.

3. superfrantheman

superfrantheman Red Card

Nov 11, 2006
    Olvidados de Dios
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru

i thibk it should be done every olympic year like 2008 or 2010 and also in the summer of the our hemissphere

i would like to see it this way

2008 july
    2010 january this could help da qualified teams for SouthAfrica 2010
    2012 july it should be donde before eliminatorias for brasil 2014

4. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

but in the summer of 2009, CA would have to compete with Confederations Cup in South Africa, which is becoming a bigger tix item as it's a little bit of a pre world cup show....

5. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru

That's right. Forgot about the Confederations Cup.

I guess it's 2011 then :eek: Unless CONMEBOL challenges FIFA and plays the Copa America (July) right after the Confeds Cup (June).

6. superfrantheman

superfrantheman Red Card

Nov 11, 2006
    Olvidados de Dios
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru

conmebol needs to priorities its competition, if we depend on blatter than we could have the next copa america in 2010 then 2011 , 2013, 2017, 2018 it'll be a mess

7. TrDm1n3r

TrDm1n3r Member+

Dec 8, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    Club América

These next four years will be decisive for North and South America because the world cup spots for 2010 have changed. The Americas will now have 8 secure spots in the WC because CONCACAF has 3.5, CONMEBOL has 4.5, and the payoff for the .5 spot is going to be between teams from these 2 regions. I think this will help clarify at what level teams in both confederations are at. The way I see it, Argentina and Brazil are bosses in the Conmebol and teams such as Ecuador, Paraguay, Uruguay, Chile and Colombia will almost always fight for the remaining spots. In the CONCACAF, USA and Mexico are the top teams and the only real contenders they face are Costa Rica and Honduras which in my opinion are below the level of Uruguay, Colombia, Chile, etc. but they are comparable to Peru (no offense to Peruvians).

The following is MY OPINION of the level of various national teams in the Americas:

1. Brazil
    2. Argentina
    3. Ecuador (they did a good job this last WC)/USA/Mexico
    4. Paraguay
    5. Uruguay/Chile
    6. Colombia
    7. Peru/Costa Rica/Honduras

* I did not include teams such as Venezuela, Bolivia, Guatemala, Canada, because they don't have a real chance of qualifying. I only included teams that are going to be competing for those 8 WC spots.

8. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

how can u rank colombia 6th and mexico 3rd when mexico cant beat colombia haha.... and then US 3rd????

9. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
  10. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    Re: Copa America 2009 En Argentina

The rotation is set. All nations have hosted and it is back to Argentina.
    The member nations and the next host need to approve only any change in host.

11. ЯR

ЯR New Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Morocco
    Re: Copa America 2009 En Argentina

In all this i have to say Ecuador is completely overrated.

They catch a break in thier group and get lucky. How could they not have advanced?. Even their game against England wasnt all that good. They didnt do anything, they couldnt do anything. Its like they felt satisfied enough with making it through and stopped there...and they get praised for that? They'll get to be a welcome mat for whoever gets them.

12. Danilo-11

Danilo-11 Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela

A little secrets
    "They think that Mexico is the best team in America after Brazil & Argentina even though they are US little b....s" :rolleyes:

You can't say how the qualifiers are going to end up when they haven't even started.
    How about you watch Copa America 2007 and then you'll have a good idea of what's going on.

13. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

2009 makes no sense. So that means that the Conf. Cup will be played at pretty much the same time? And who will Conmebol send? The 07 winner or the 09 winner.... turds!

14. Syd Barret

Syd Barret Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Buenos Aires
    who the hell cares about the confeds. cup??
    it's only a bunch of friendlies...

15. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru

Agree.

hello? Conmebol? You there?

16. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I would normally agree. But FIFA has done a pretty good job making it every 4 years and marketing it as the preamble to the WC by having top competition. It's an event that has gained some importance in the last # of years. That being said, Copa America needs to be played in a time where all eyes/media are on Copa America competition and not competing against another official FIFA tourney.
    And what's going to happen when your Argentina, has to choose between sending their "A" team to confed. cup instead of Copa America....

17. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We have enough youth and experience to be able to send better than competitive teams to both. Of course the emphasis will be on the Copa due to SA bragging rights. Confed is more of an exhibition tourney imho.

18. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Now that we know it will be on Argentina it'll only make sense for them to make Chile play in Mendoza. :D

19. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    http://www.peru.com/futbol/AutoNoticias/FutbolInternacional/2007/02/12/DetalleNoticia85681.asp

20. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
  21. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    Soccer-South American confederation pre-empts Copa America draw
    260 words
    13 February 2007
    21:44
    Reuters News
    English
    (c) 2007 Reuters Limited
    CARACAS, Feb 13 (Reuters) - The South American Football Confederation pre-empted the draw for this year's Copa America on Tuesday when it sorted six of the 12 participants into their respective groups.
    CSF general secretary Eduardo Deluca said hosts Venezuela and Bolivia would play in Group A, Brazil and Mexico would play in Group B, while Argentina and United States would go into Group C.
    Deluca said the CSF's executive committee had decided that Venezuela would kick off the tournament against Bolivia on June 26 in San Cristobal and Brazil would face Mexico the following day in Puerto Ordaz.
    The full draw is due to be held on Wednesday in Caracas but Tuesday's decision means that only Ecuador, Colombia, Uruguay, Paraguay, Chile and Peru still have to be allocated groups.
    Deluca said the final would be played in Maracaibo on July 15 and that the next tournament would be played in 2011.
    The Copa America was held every two years from 1987 to 2001 and then in 2004.....

22. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
  23. cristian1mv

cristian1mv Member

Jul 6, 2005

do you even know what the copa america is? its the turmament for south america not all of america. thats why the only countries that should be able to host the turmanent should be south American countires. brasil wount host the euro cup or usa it just doesnt make sense so deal with the fact the usa or mexico should never host the copa america

24. Peruco83

Peruco83 Member+

May 8, 2005
    Hamden, CT

why not?