Arena makes 6 changes to the Gold Cup squad

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by schrutebuck, Jul 16, 2017.

1. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Bolded part is true of many BSers. And...if any injuries happen to our World Cup squad I hope they happen a few months before the WC so that replacements can be inserted in the roster. Bruce got to see the players every day, on many days multiple times a day. He exposed many new players to the (lower level) international tournament. That is good. More options have been identified. Now let's see what happens when WCQ starts back up.

2. manq360

manq360 Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have read with interest how the coach sees the players every day, sometimes twice a day in practice, and he knows them better than BS participants or other fans. This is probably true, but the truth is really how they play in the actual game. Just like some league players who do not play that well in international play...there are possibly those that feel comfortable in training, and even stand out, but cannot for whatever reason translate that to an actual game.

I am more inclined to think that BA and many other coaches do have there favorites, whatever the reason, and will stick by them no matter what. It is not, perhaps ideal, but is human nature. Sometimes it impacts negatively to a soccer team. BA is BA, and he is not about to change soon.

The Nicaragua game is being replayed today at 4:00 pacific time on either FS1 or FS2 (can't remember which) and I intend to pay close attention to Rowe. I am not sure he is ready to replace Nagbe as some have suggested.

3. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    There are 2 favorites to win the World Cup, always, the US and Mexico, so I expect Bruce to win it or make it to the final, that would be what is expected of him.

If he wins, good, I won't go around doing a front flip but I will see bw satisfied.

If we go second, thats ok I guess, I don't expect much from him.

If he doesn't make it to final, well, I just hope to make to the wc, make a non-embarrassing appereance and wait for the update.

Dignan repped this.
  4. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    None of those 3 coaches has done anything out of the ordinary, one of them was his dad, a fairly decent coach.

Any time I have a flashback of the Argentina game is pretty bad, very few times I felt so embarrassed, like I said, Bradley was done that day for me.

5. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sure you meant Gold Cup. If not you're on some really good stuff.

jackiesdad repped this.
  6. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    Yes, the gc

7. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was kind of hoping you'd found a new future predicting drug.

8. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zardes had an assist.

9. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. +1

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wish I could rep this twice. But I'd make a slight change.

It's too soon to have a solid opinion. But it's never too soon for a HOT TAKE!!!!

11. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but practice All Stars who don't show in the games don't add a whole lot to his take,IMO...

12. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #162 Lloyd Heilbrunn, Jul 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    What does this mean? MLS stops playing for neither....Plus as Continental Championship GC has mandatory release rule in effect.

13. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Liga MX didn't get the memo.

14. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure what I was even thinking??? Brain fart I guess....lol

15. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The variant could be "I like your style".

I rewatched Nicaragua and listened to Rowe explain his departure on ET radio at the MLS site.

I watched Pontius who did everything correctly but at a slightly deficient athletic level.I think he had a rough go with some injuries in the middle of his career.)

Rowe plays like a beserker. They would love him in Chile.

Hwvr, I like Arena because his goal is open ended. He's happy to be convinced of an alternative, unlike our previous manager. I'd hate seeing him make a deal with the devil just because he wears a nice suit.

comoesa repped this.
  16. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    No, they definitely happen when it is too late to go back and re-write the fairy story. Well intentioned hoping will not change that.

17. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    We take players like Zardes to Russia, we may make it out of the group, we take players like Pontius...

We will never know, because players like Torres, Corona, Silva, Pontius never "fit" our "American" style.

18. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Pay close attention to Pontius at the same time.

b.t.w., one interesting way of examining this issue of bias in selection is to consider the case of Nagbe.

The suits called him an automatic call up when he got his eligibility in order. When asked his evalutaion after Nagbe's first cap Klinsmann said of the son of Nice's Captain and captain of the LIberian national team that went to the finals of the African Cup of Nations - "he knows how to play the game."

You'd think Klinsmann would have played him more but after a few unproductive stints he declined a call up from Klinsmann who was fired not long after.

It will be interesting to see what part Nagbe plays in the ko rounds of this Gold Cup.

19. eainterplay

eainterplay Member

May 11, 2008
    Alabama
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously, it was a sarcastic remark about Klinnsmann tendency to play players out of position, but congrats on lacking a sense of humor and having enough time to waste to research his former GC player swaps!

20. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I've been watching Zardes a long time. I like him with this team

----morris----agudelo----pulisic
    ----zardes(10)--Bradley(6)--Dax (8)

Zardes' offensive game is really like Dempsey, running the channels in space others have created which fortifies his strengths - what Klinsmann called his "nose" for goal - and his midfield abilities to position correctly and intercept balls. Problem is that I think Bradley and Dax need 3 cb's behind them and in a 343 Zardes becomes a forward and his shortcomings would be magnified - he can't handle physicality, touch required to play with initiative off the front line.

21. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    I liked Zardes when he was young, his progress was minimal, he isn't young anymore.

22. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    He's still getting over the foot fracture.

23. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    He shouldn't be on the team then, we need fit players (Remember Hugo Perez?)

24. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just confused as to why Arena would start Rowe and Dwyer in important games and then send them home? Why not send the bench players home?

25. Dervos

Dervos Member+

Mar 13, 2002
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    I like the theory that those two showed enough (ie, they're 'safe') and that Bruce kept around the players who still hadn't proved their worth.

On the other hand, I like even better when our good players get to play with our other good players.