Arena makes 6 changes to the Gold Cup squad

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by schrutebuck, Jul 16, 2017.

1. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    In: Tim Howard, Jesse Gonzalez, Michael Bradley, Darlington Nagbe, Clint Dempsey, Jozy Altidore

Out: Brad Guzan, Sean Johnson, Cristian Roldan, Alejandro Bedoya, Kelyn Rowe, Dom Dwyer

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/201...arena-makes-six-changes-usmnt-gold-cup-roster

Bedoya's wife is about to have a child. The Guzan-Howard swap appears to have been planned ahead of time. Roldan's appearance on this list probably does not surprise anybody. A second GK swap is a mild surprise, while Rowe and Dwyer appear to be major surprises.

On the addition side, I can't say I'm surprised at any of the additions other than the swap of two goalkeepers.

2. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what i would do given this roster:

-----------------hamid-----------------
    lichaj------miazga-----besler--------villafana
    ---------------------bradley-------------
    ----arriola--------------------------nagbe--------------
    ----------------------dempsey--------------------------
    --------------altidore-----agudelo--------------

3. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty shocked that Rowe and Dwyer were sent home. But its hard to know the whole thought process. Perhaps he has seen enough of them to know he wants them for qualifying and wants to take a little more look at others?

So hope he finds some miracle way to get Jesse Gonzalez on the field. Please!

Cuzan should have been sent home whether that was a plan before hand or not. I love this guy. But he has gotten to the point where his soft goals allowed are exceeding his stellar saves...by a fair bit. Just can't use him anymore in key games short of injuries. He CAN still do the job. But he is just as likely to fail too.

4. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Rowe and Dwyer are surprises. I think both have been positives in lackluster teams.

5. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Rowe and Dwyer must have been pre-planned. They got a lot of minutes during the group stage and did more than enough to stick around.

6. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like we are never going to know.

The two key for me are Agudelo over Dwyer and Pontius over Rowe.

7. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe Atlanta's keeper just got hurt as well and will be out for 6-8 weeks.

jnielsen and superdave repped this.
  8. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have kept Rowe.

sXeWesley and Cool Hand Luke repped this.
  9. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The pre-planned thing on Rowe and Dwyer is the only thing that makes sense to me, perhaps like with Howard-Guzan and Gonzalez-Johnson were also probably pre-planned. I guess Bedoya out (child birth) and Bradley in was also pre-planned.

Still, I really would have enjoyed seeing Rowe and Dwyer play in combo with the stronger XI.

Glad Miazga stayed, as I think he and Besler are the top CB combo on this roster.

I love Dempsey and expect him to contribute in one more World Cup, but I would not have called him in for this.

10. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Rowe and Dwyer were the best players, I can see Dwyer being released because we are bringing forwards. I don't understand the Rowe release, Pointus should have been sent home. I guess Nagbe will be playing the LW position.

Alexisonfire, Cool Hand Luke and Heist repped this.
  11. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The management of Roldan is the exact opposite way to handle an integration attempt. Can only hope he was being genuine in telling people how much he liked Roldan anyway from watching MLS and practices.

The other guys who were sent home got a reasonable chance, outside Johnson, who was a 3rd keeper, and hasn't been very good in MLS the last couple of years.

I would have liked to have seen more from Rowe and Dwyer, but we saw a good amount already, and there was probably an agreement. Can't think that happened off performance.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  12. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pontius and Zusi are still there. We got this.

Deadtigers, Guinho, Deep Wilcox and 10 others repped this.
  13. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish Roldan had gotten a fairer shake.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  14. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Johnson has been stellar this season with NYCFC, now that he is on a good club. He had one questionable year last season with an abysmal Chicago club. I wish he got a shot as I think he might be better than Hamid.

15. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't play all 3 keepers, Hamid's chance is long overdue, he's been much better than Johnson in recent seasons, including this one where he has a superior expected goals saved # (Johnson's is actually well below average), and Hamid himself only got one chance. So Sean Johnson is hardly the one I'm disappointed for right now. 10+ keepers deserve a shot before him. He was lucky to be on the roster over the likes of Ethan Horvath and Tim Melia, especially.

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand Dwyer going home. Just for me, his game translated like I thought it would. I would have liked to see him against the better teams we are about to face, but I understand the decision.

Rowe I don't understand. He surprised me in a good way, so I'd learn something from him playing more minutes.

But it's like judging sub patterns in a friendly. You don't know the coachs goals.

deuteronomy, Berks, Guinho and 3 others repped this.
  17. CU soccer

CU soccer Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Panama City Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha. Of course both of the guys who actually looked good get sent home.

Bruce has got to be the most stubborn a$$hole to ever coach soccer. Literally using the same flawed approach that got him fired the first time around.

BakedAlaskan and Cannons repped this.
  18. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, there really is no other explanation that makes sense as Rowe and Dwyer are the only clear cut success stories so far and I think the only ones people wanted to see more of.

I am obviously disappointed that Bradley is being called in, this is once again an example of playing him for no good reason, we don't need to win these games, we need to find other options and although the CM's have been garbage outside of the Ghana game, if Bradley plays 90 from here on out, as we all know he will, this will be another lost opportunity.

On Dempsey, I am glad he is called in as this is the perfect tournament for him to get his record and be the man one last time, the last few opportunities he has had I felt he was trying too hard and after this he should be able to settle down and take his role on the bench. I actually wish he had been one of the veteran leaders since the beginning, instead of Guzan, Gonzo, or Bedoya. CD would have raised the level of these last couple games.

jnielsen and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  19. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miazga staying provss that he's being showcased for a transfer away from Chelsea.

20. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    And decisions like this are exactly why Arena was fired the first time. How he could justify keeping Pontius, Corona, and Acosta is beyond me. Dwyer may be our biggest hope going. Lets see how Antiscore does. Hope we get credit for holdup play. And Dempsey? OMG Too old, too slow.

Im the most pissed at Rowe though. He played very well, unlike Pontius and he's going home? Please explain why. Just disgusted at this

Statman and CU soccer repped this.
  21. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    We need Beckerman and Wondo.

jackiesdad, Guinho, HartwickFan and 2 others repped this.
  22. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i predict this lineup from bruce:

---------------altidore-----------------
    zardes-------nagbe-------------arriola
    ---------------dax---bradley--------
    villafana----gonzalez---besler---zusi
    -------------------howard-----------

23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'd argue all these swaps (besides Bedoya) were due to their coaches requesting these players back. These were probably pre-planned deals.

My lineup with the remaining players.

Hamid
    Lichaj-Miazga-Besler-Villafana
    Arriola-Acosta-Bradley-Nagbe
    Agudelo-Altidore

24. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact that Dwyer and Rowe did well may be the reason they were sent home. If Bruce has seen enough of them over enough minutes that he has good information, then why keep them around? I mean, there is the whole winning the GC thing, but this may suggest that he's more concerned with player consideration than the tournament title.

25. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    To prepare for the Hex. I'd want to see them with the core guys brought in. If he doesn't get much time with players, why waste it?

sXeWesley and Guinho repped this.