Are we going to see a return of the classic central forward?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Nuzzo, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Nuzzo

Nuzzo Member

Jul 13, 2006
    Bulgaria
    In the last 10-15 years the role of the classic central forward has been replaced by players able to cover different positions - winger, AM, CF, etc with significant technical and passing abilities...yet in this world cup, we are seeing how the top teams are struggling to break down the defense of their opponents.

Do you think that we will see the return of the classic central forward - 1.85+ m tall, strong like a bull, earns his paycheck only in the penalty area?

For example, Harry Kane from England is a good example - 1.88 tall, had two chances with inside the penalty area and got them converted, survived a wrestling match against the Tunisia defense.

On the other hand - watching Argentina I was wondering how much someone like Martin Palermo was going to help - just put him in and tell him to stay between the two central defenders looking for a gap during a cross....heck if I was the coach with the current squad I'd consider putting a central defender up front...

2. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Juventus Football Clube Ajax Mineiro de Deportes
    Jun 11, 2012
    I felt they should have built the team around Higuain and not Messi.
    Playing narrow and slow just doesn't work. If you can't play fast then at least play wide.

3. Nuzzo

Nuzzo Member

Jul 13, 2006
    Bulgaria
    And after we are reached the direct elimination stage - I do believe that I have an even better point.

Germany went out early, Brazil was running around like headless chickens with their CB, AMs and wingers getting chances, with the number 9 taking a break. Spain being out...on the other hand Suarez and Cavani went ahead of ST-less Portugal, Russia led by Dzuiba, England by Kane,, France by Giroud and Belgium by Lukaku having success.

4. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I am old school. I always believe in classic striker. Any team needs someone to occupy the centerbacks.

5. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    It obviously depends from opponent to opponent. If you are Liverpool playing against City, you dont need one.

And your criteria seems arbitrary... how Diego Costa doesnt get into a classical number nine category, yet you take elimination of Spain as confirmation of your thoughts. They had played much better the moment he left the pitch and Iago took his place.. would have won if he started.

You are oversimplyfing the issue.