AR and the corne kick

Discussion in 'Referee' started by errolv2, Sep 14, 2017.

1. errolv2

errolv2 Member

Barcelona
    Italy
    Apr 26, 2017
    Last night I had an AR on a decently competitive Boys HS Varsity game. On the first corner kick, which was on my end, the Referee was nearby and had a quick word with me to the effect that my primary job on the kick was to lookout for the keeper, and he would focus primarily on the rest.

Thoughts? Experiences?

2. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like something to cover in the pre-game. It would take a lot for me to flag for a foul on the keeper in front of the goal when I'm standing 35 yards away.

3. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I would say your primary jobs are: did the ball swing over the end line in the air, did the ball cross the goal line at some point, if it goes back out over the end line who did it go off of, did some quick form of offside occur off a short corner? There are tons of things you have responsibility for, including assisting the CR on fouls.

uniqueconstraint and IASocFan repped this.
  4. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Idk how I feel about this. How much credibility do you have making this call if it's a goal/no goal/PK decision? What type of mechanic do you use for a foul/PK/No PK. You have enough issues to manage with ball in and out, and then he wants to add another superfluous detail. But you should be a safety net not a parachute.

5. camconcay

camconcay Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Feb 17, 2011
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Without being there this sounds more like the referee was looking to be preventive with "look out FOR the keeper" as in there may be history or something in the match to indicate the attack could be trying something that could affect the keeper or maybe the keeper is known for shenanigans. If the center made it rather public he could have been using it as a tool so the players heard it and might have a second thought if they had planned something.

Otherwise, no clue why this would happen at this time and not pregame.

uniqueconstraint, IASocFan and Law5 repped this.
  6. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I was thinking something similar to @camconcay It doesn't make much sense in a vacuum, but it source in a particular case.