Anyone notice all the ESPN coverage today?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by jeffmefun, Jun 23, 2011.

1. jeffmefun

jeffmefun Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Quakeland, CA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was in a bar earlier & saw GC semifinal coverage on Max Kellerman, SportsCenter, and PTI. In a span of 30 minutes, there was 2 guys intentionally taking extreme positions for the sake of creating an argument, highlights of the game, a profile of the US-Mexico history, and discussion of whether this was really a quality win. (fwiw, this was just what I interpreted from subtitles, videos, and expressions - there was no sound...) I realize ESPN has a vested interest here, but this was insane - prime time coverage of the GOLD CUP SEMIS, ffs! Amazing. At least 6 different commentators discussing the national team. Wow. We've come quite a ways. Amazing. Heartwarming.

2. Barcasox

Barcasox Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes we have come quite a ways, but it's not "heartwarming". the sportscenter highlights, the around the horn discussion/analysis I saw about soccer, wow it's not just bad, it's terrible. Even everyday Americans know more about soccer than those guys

3. TxDynamo

TxDynamo Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Houston
    after the GC is over...

4. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its great, but the reason is probably sports are extremely slow right now. Not exactly tons of other things to cover and they are giving soccer some coverage. If this was going on in October, they would have 50 NFL topics before they got around to the US/Mex soccer game.

5. Barcasox

Barcasox Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i take back all I said. Once again, MLS and more specifically seattle gets shafted by espn. we're going into a useless bottom of the 9th inning only now, and the real action starts in 4 minutes

6. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Hey, don't mess with my wahoos.

7. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the NFL were not on strike, the Gold Cup would get no coverage on Sportscenter period.

8. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Drew Bledsoe hadn't gotten injured....

Doesn't matter how, it comes...it's good exposure

9. perspixx

perspixx Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Temecula, Calif.
    I didn't know that the NFL season started in June now. Those owners must have cut one hell of a deal.

10. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do realize that ESPN is obligated to finish that broadcast right? And calling the bottom of the ninth useless, regardless of the score, is just puzzling.

"What the hell man? The CWS coverage won't start until the useless last 6 minutes of this soccer game is over. The score is 4-2 and its not like there could be a comeback." - baseball fan

11. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "We never get any ******* coverage of soccer man ....."

"WTF, all the coverage we get is ******* crap man ....."

Jesus. It isn't going to happen overnight.

.... just be glad we're actually playing Mexico in the final, otherwise you'd REALLY be bitching about the coverage.

1 person likes this.
  12. Aconti2

Aconti2 Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What baffles me is the top play countdown. An incredible soccer goal that takes speed strength and skill might get number 8 or 5, while the highest rated plays have some guy, running a little bit MAYBE jumping to....catch a baseball?

13. SoccerBiz

SoccerBiz Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since this thread brought up ESPN and soccer I must mention a new commercial that aired last night. You know all the ESPN commercials that utilize athletes and commentators for skits, right? Well, there is a new one with one of the female us soccer players. She is walking with one commentator and another comes around the corner and doesn't run into them but falls onto the ground screaming about his ankle...

This really pissed me off... ESPN is essentially making fun of the sport. They may play it off as...ohh the US team doesn't dive, but that is not the way any person would take that commercial.

Maybe I am the only one that was offended, but this is a situation where, "any press is good press", is completely wrong.

14. ScrappytheSeal4

Jun 5, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't insult what the equally athletic and skilled baseball players are doing just because you like soccer. I'm getting so tired of people complaining that nobody gives soccer a chance in one post (like the one below the one I'm quoting) right after someone belittles another.

Pot meet kettle people. Give athletes of other sports credit too.

15. ScrappytheSeal4

Jun 5, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to 2011! You no longer have to live with an inferiority complex about soccer. ESPN's "This is Sportscenter" commercials are ALL satire. You're reading into something that is a non-issue.

16. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen goals as high as number 2 that I can think of. Don't remember any number 1s. It's also not just great plays but significant/milestone plays. If someone gets their 3,000th hit on a bloop single it is guaranteed to be number 1 no matter how amazing anything else is. Either way, the fact that they put Soccer goals on the top ten is cool with me.
    I know what you're saying but that's pretty funny, can't wait to see it. At least it means they're paying attention to the sport. I guess you could take it that everyone dives against the USA.

17. Aconti2

Aconti2 Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've played baseball for 10 years so I have respect for the game. Its just clear that the play doesn't take as much effort skill or whatever. A guy making a catch isnt that hard really its usually just someone running a little bit and outstretching their glove. I can definently appreciate plays where a fielder fields a tough ground ball and lasers it to first though.

18. ScrappytheSeal4

Jun 5, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adu gently swung his leg to a jogging Donovan who slid it past a defender who was standing still where Dempsey literally got his foot in front of the ball for a goal.

See how annoying it looks when reversed? It sounds like you played infield judging from that last statement Either way, it's really a pet peeve of mine when people do what you just did whether you did it on purpose or not. Because even though it wasn't your fault, I read your post and then someone complaining that nobody understands/gives soccer a chance. I'm tired of stuff like that.

19. Yankee9782

Yankee9782 Member

Jun 13, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Good point Scrappy. I'm a fan of most sports and never could understand why one needs to be better than the other or anything like that. Enjoy them all, that's what they're here for. And when a person mindlessly bashes another sport they're no different that the stupid Americans that hate on soccer for no real reason.

As far as the coverage goes, stop complaining folks. This is better than it has been probably ever. The fact that people are talking and thinking about soccer is a good thing, regardless of the reason or lame commentary.

20. ScrappytheSeal4

Jun 5, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The horrendous travesty in question.... [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHebuF8tNEM"]YouTube - ‪This Is SportsCenter: Abby Wambach‬‏[/ame]

Clearly we should all write angry e-mails.

21. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Erm, Hassli's goal was pimped to hell and back ... even on "the mothership" ... in fact, the Sportscenter that I watched with Linda Cohn doing the lead anchoring, she was at a loss for words in the "holy shit did you see that" sense. Oh, and it was a "Top Play" as well.

Really people ...

22. Aconti2

Aconti2 Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know, you guys have good arguments and I understand what you're saying, hypocritical to complain about soccer coverage and belittle another sport. I guess its just frustrating because I really like the style and coverage of sports center of all the sports I just wish there was more soccer, it will come though.

(Oh man did a BS poster on the US forum just accept a point?)

1 person likes this.
  23. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please no. It's BigSoccer 2011, not BigSoccer 2001

24. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for posting it. I love that ESPN is including "US", Soccer, in making fun of everyone.

25. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the saying ....

"If we're making fun of you like we do everyone else, then you're ok ...... it's when we don't say anything to you at all ...."