Anybody Else's Verdict?

Discussion in 'Ireland: NSR' started by billyireland, Feb 23, 2006.

1. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    With the whole Orange march thing going through the city on Saturday, there are a lot of rumours going around about 'certain things' happening along their route on the day. It's really just a word of mouth thing that I've been hearing from around and about, but I'm just wondering what anyone elses opinion might be on the matter?

I'll tell you this for nothing, since I have no reason to be in town on Saturday (work, college, etc) I would do my best to avoid there anyway, but even though it's most certainly a load of me todger... I don't think I'll be in there for any reason this weekend.

2. bennocelt

bennocelt Member

Jun 1, 2005
    wales
    pity i have to go to wales ont he weekend
    maybe i will squeeze something in on sat monring
    see what the local brigade have organised to welcome the oranges to dublin

3. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Can't see there being any problems myself.

4. fearmor123

fearmor123 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Dublin
    Real Sound!!!
    My prediction is some arseholes will get a skinful in, slap on the Celtic jersey and go and shout stuff trying to get a reaction (they'll be the same type of people who banged on about freedom of expression when the muslim cartoons came out), but the Gardai will have ridiculous numbers out and hopefully nothing will come of it.

At the end of the day I dont think most people in dublin will show too much of an interest. People getting riled up and abusive is exactly what the orangemen want!!!

5. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Well, there you have it - town has descended into anarchy. Petrol bombs, Northern/English registered cars being burned out, the Jervis shopping centre being stormed by mobs, looting, mill-ups all over the place, riot police being called in, etc.

I stayed out of town today, I hope all the other Dubs here did, too :(. I'm going no further than Rathmines if I am heading out tonight.

6. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Its a damn shame, and it really is stupid as hell. If they want to march, let them, how does it hurt? I hope none of this goes over until tomorrow.

Here is another article saying that most of the rioters are from Catholic parts of Northern Ireland, which would make this make more sense to me (Im not condoning it, dont mis-read that)

From: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060225...gbetvCs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3b3JuZGZhBHNlYwM3MjE-

7. bennocelt

bennocelt Member

Jun 1, 2005
    wales
    not only northerners...a lot of ordinary Dubs dont want those ********** in Dublin....
    "we're off to Dublin in the green....******** the .......where the helmets glisten in the sun...******** the h......"
    great day
    missed it...pity...will be up for the 1916 demo...if any of ye blueshirts want to have a counter protest...go ahead...pm me!!!

8. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    No, no it's not a great day for either side... and I can safely call anybody who finds anything great about what happened today, an idiot.

BTW, what is your stance... nationalist or unionist? It's getting confusing...

9. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Does it matter? You can't change the spots on a leopard or the drool of a moron...........

10. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    These haven't been broken yet, but lets keep it that way

I can see this thread going the wrong way, especially because this is such as touchy subject, so keep it good :)

11. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Yeah, but one minute he's talking about joining 'the local brigade' ( :confused: ) to 'greet' the Orangemen... then the next he's talking out against any 'Blueshirts' who want to counter-protest PMing him. What. The. Hell?

What is worst about this is the propoganda those Orange bastards are going to be spewing for years, now. I'm far, far, FAR removed from the type to wear a Hoops jersey to an Irish match and boo certain Dutch/Moldovan/etc players, but I probably hate the Loyalists just as much, if not more than, them. I just don't act the arsehole over it.

12. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    The rioters are so stupid. Those riots are what the orange marchers wanted...... Now the republicans and nationalists all look like a bunch of hoodlums and up north the unionists are going to blame all of it on Sinn Fein.

:(

13. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Has the violence dissipated now, or are there expected to be further clashes tonight?

14. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The Gardai says it has calmed down, and I sure hope so, because while all of you can get away, I cant, as I am staying in the middle of Dublin :eek: . Though to tell the truth, Im not worried

15. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Fair enough, Billy. My guess, however, is that will be 'whoosh' for the resident moron.

16. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    So much for hoping for all sides to work together. If Irish people are not allowed to legally march in the nations capital by a bunch of thugs, then there isnt much hope for change. Disgraceful. These idiots are still stuck in the 19th century.

17. LUDs Flag

LUDs Flag New Member

Sep 22, 2002
    Chicago
    It really is a shame. The protesters did more for the loyalist cause than any unobstructed orange march ever could. Paisley and his ilk will point to this for years to come as one of the reasons that they can't work with the nationalists/ the Republic. :mad:

18. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    Seconded. Extremely misguided at best.

I'm still shocked that scenes like that happened in Dublin - it was always a possibility, but I didn't seriously think things would degenerate so far. If the march had gone ahead trouble-free it would have been a one-minute news item at the end of a bulletin, instead of the main story for the next few weeks and something for Paisley et al. to refer to for years to come.

I don't actually think I can express how angry I am at these retards.

19. fearmor123

fearmor123 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Dublin
    How wrong was I???? Like I said b4 tho! Its exactly what the orangemen wanted!!! There's freedom of speech/expression/association for everyone in Britain/USA/Ireland for everyone except them!! Am disgusted!!!
    A couple of my mates went in to watch it (I know, I couldn't understand the attraction either)
    Basically what they said was that the Gardai were brilliant, but was very little they could do. Scaffolding was pulled down outside buildings on OConnell St, Qbar was raided and blokes came out with bins full of bottles to throw in all directions. They saw women and children running away while fireworks were thrown at them!!
    Complete scum!!
    From what the lads said it was ridiculously well organised. Blokes with Northern accents holding back and pointing out things for mindless Dublin scumbags to do!!

20. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Somewhere I read that most of the litter bins in the vicinity had been 'seeded' with weapons of various types, including petrol bombs the night before. There was no serendipity to this.

21. fearmor123

fearmor123 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Dublin

22. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The Gardaí claim that they had no intelligence of planned violence. How is this possible, given that us readers of bigsoccer (thanks to Billy) knew of the rumours of violence days ahead? Sounds like pretty questionable "intelligence."

23. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    ...you are obviously unfamiliar with the Gardaí. ;)

24. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Too true. My brother who is a carpenter in Galway had about $2000 worth of tools stolen from his truck about 2 years ago. It was pretty obvious it was a well known crime ring who would steal from building sites around Galway and then resell the stolen equipment in other parts of the country. The Gardai told him they knew exactly who took the stuff but of course said they couldnt do anything about it.

25. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I was talking to a cab driver when I was in Dublin, he said that there were only 50 gardai in riot gear. If so, they did well. Also, I really wouldn't have noticed anything if it wasn't all over the press.