Any summer trips planned?

Discussion in 'Parenting & Family' started by Ringo, May 27, 2007.

1. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fam and I are going to Disneyland at the end of June, so we have that to look forward to.
    the wife will be on an 8-day bizness trip in August so me and the little guy are flying home to colorado. i'm a bit nervous about doing the entire airport thing with just the two of us (he'll be darn near 3) but he's a good kid and so i'm guardedly optmistic.

i do have to admit i'm very excited for a summer road trip to the grand canyon. i feel its every parents responsibility to ruin at least one summer with a long car drive to a hole in the ground. i'm so excited, even though it's gonna be a couple of years. :D

2. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That sounds like a lot of fun, Ringo! We want to get out and do something fun but haven't decided what yet. With the new minivan we gotta road trip somewhere! Maybe Yellowstone... that's only a few (6 or so maybe?) hours away. Of course, here in Utah we can always take a day trip to Zion Nat'l Park or Arches or Bryce Canyon or Moab... Or Bear Lake or Park City or... Heck, we'll figure out something fun to do.

We really want to take the kids camping but two two-year-olds around a campfire sounds a bit frightening to me. So we might have to wait until next year when there will be two three-year-olds. Hmm.

Maybe we'll road trip to the Grand Canyon sometime--I've never been there! Maybe I'll brush past you, Ringo, note your soccer jersey and be like, "Huh cool a soccer fan.." without knowing it's you. ;-)

3. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    Taking the family to Colonial Williamsburg in VA for 4th of July week, roller coasters, colonial times, civil war stuff.

And a detour to check out Penn State with my older son, who is a junior in HS now.

4. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have roller coasters at colonial Williamsburg? That seems so uncolonial! :-D I'm guessing it's just for the special event?

5. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    didn't washington cross the potomac on a rollercoaster? I think i've seen the picture somewhere. :confused:

but in all honestly, IIRC, there's a big amusement park nearby.

6. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    Busch Gardens is in the area. Can't be all educational now can it? :p

7. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did the same thing a couple years ago when my daughter was looking at VCU. I got lucky that summer, Military and dependents got in Busch Gardens for free. Saved me about 200 dollars

8. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A week in San Diego with the in-laws. The Fourth of July parade in Coronado is lots of fun, and my wife's 20-year high school reunion is the following weekend.

9. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    I'll be in Europe for most of the month in August, concluding with my friends wedding in Greece in September.

10. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I know where we're going, but haven't planned what we'll do with the kids. No problem, though: we're headed to Utah, and all I need to do is visit Fun to Do in Utah's website and we'll be good to go! :)

Two weeks in (mostly) Utah in June - speak to the Cedar City Rotary Club and guest lecture in a class at SUU (now the driving is tax deductible - smart, you say, but why did it take me 20 years to figure this do business at your destination thing out?) plus visit my folks in the area, with a quick trip to SLC for the RSL-FC Dallas Thursday night game (kids stay with the grandparents, so it is a soccer date!) makes week one. Quick trip to Las Vegas to see one of my former students perform in KA, one of the Cirque du Soleil shows; day trips to Zion NP and Bryce NP (and probably one of the neatest spots on Earth, Cedar Breaks NM), north to visit my wife's family in Murray (SLC suburb). Up to Park City to ride the alpine slide and zip line; joint cousin birthday at the Saturday RSL-DC United match (this really is a phenomenal deal). Long drive home. Collapse and get a vacation from vacationing. :D

One week in July at Rockaway Beach, Oregon for my wife's family reunion. We do loads of nothing at that one (maybe a side trip to Tillamook for some ice cream and cheese). The 19 cousins are terrificly well matched - never a fight of any sort in our three previous reunions. Amazing and relaxing.

That's one more vacation than most summers; last year we took two days and went to Seattle to go to the Seattle Aquarium and then drive south to a cool wildlife park called Northwest Trek in the foothills of Mt. Rainier. So this year we owe two trips.

11. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D I'm adding new stuff to the calendar all the time so check back! June is crammed full of cool stuff though.

Sounds like a great trip! I hope some of us BSers get a chance to meet you when you're in Utah!