Any redneck soccer players out there?

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by Olo2317, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Olo2317

Olo2317 Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Just asking

2. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh?

Clint Mathis would probably claim to be one. And fans of the various European clubs he played for would probably have described him as having a stereotypical American "cowboy" mentality.

3. SeminoleTom

SeminoleTom Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like some country things but don't really consider myself a redneck. I don't hunt, fish or drive a truck. I do live in Georgia (all right metro Atlanta) and like some country music though.

4. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could you be more specific? :confused:

5. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I take this to mean are there many soccer players who come out of rural areas and will typically lean toward football and baseball? I take redneck to mean something beyond just growing up/embracing the rural lifestyle though. A glorious lack of sophistication, I think Jeff Foxworthy called it?

Aside from the obvious Clint Mathis, there were plenty of country boys at the UMCP summer camps I used to attend, and I traveled out to Western Maryland, Pennsyltucky, and Sticksville, VA to play for club and school more than a few times.

6. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. shotzie

shotzie New Member

Aug 31, 2011
    I always lumped rednecks in with the trashy 80's rocker look. In the trashy South King County area I called my childhood home, there were a ton of trashy metal hair guys driving Camaros or the lifted 4x4. Drinking beer and listening to metal and rocking out whilst floating the Green River.

And with Zungul, Waters, and Preki all rocking their version of the "soccer rocker" mullet during their times as MISL Tacoma Stars. My fav MISL team was stacked with great redneck/metal hair. Which I associated with the trashy redneck metal dudes.

You might not call it redneck... but I F***ing loved it.

[​IMG]

SeminoleTom repped this.
  8. Cubanlix63

Cubanlix63 Member+

AFC Ajax
    Feb 19, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    During a Guardian Football podcast one of the pundits asked if Clint Dempsey was a redneck?

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  9. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I have two nephues in their fathers summer house who fire machine guns at targets for fun. Does this kid at least play our football.

My favorite story was when I coached SC Gjoa under 8 team at the dust Bowl in Brooklyn. There were baseball diamonds surrounding where we practice under the lights. We are about to end practice when these guys practice softball start to hit them out near we are practicing. So these little kids could get hit. I told the parent of one of our guys to tell them we will be off in 5 minutes. Those Mamalukes think they could gorilla us off the field now.

I went a little wild I ended practice told them all to go home. I picked up a softball and started walking to the batting cage. On the way a softball player asked me for the ball. I just kept walking towards them. When I get to them I pick up a metal softball bat and told them the bat and ball are mine now. Someone says something to me I hit him in the face with the softball and tattooed him with the bat. Another looked like trouble so I broke his ribs with the bat. All of a sudden they weren't wise guys anymore. I told them I will be there tommorow I see cops. My friends will go after your families. I never saw them again. One of the parents saw it he and his son left the team :).

chungachanga repped this.
  10. shotzie

shotzie New Member

Aug 31, 2011
    I usually keep my cool until the track team starts throwing javelins at us.

chungachanga, Len and nicklaino repped this.
  11. Matthew Johnson

Sep 6, 2013
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Have you seen the pictures of Marcus Hahnemann's treehouse/whisky shack? Not sure what you mean by redneck, but as a South Alabamian I feel he is someone I could share a handle of George Dickel with, watch some redneck TV and put some holes in paper with....

SeminoleTom repped this.
  12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    i can see why they'd think that. being a Texan after all. though most folks might say rednecks primarily are those from Tennessee/South Carolina/Georgia/Alabama area

13. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    Oh hell ya. Those things could put your eye out.

But it's the discs you've really got to look out for; they could break an ankle......or your head.

14. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Redneck footballers???
    HELL YES SON!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That's me with the flare as my buddies n I took over Austin Texas!

SeminoleTom repped this.
  15. Matthew Johnson

Sep 6, 2013
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

When I worked in Tukwila I had to drive a lot down in S. King. Seems every time I was out I'd run into someone from that skit. :D

16. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Epithets are the most interesting words in language. I had heard this word for many years until I realized it was the same word as the Egyptian dynasty (or more correctly Turkish slave dynasty) of roughly 800 years ago. And it all makes sense. Those Muslims who raided and at times occupied Sicily and southern Italian coastlines must have been known for the dynastic name for some of them. Obviously they weren't well remembered by those living though those times so the dynastic name morphed into an insult.

18. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Mamluk is literally the Arabic word for property. It was originally used to refer to slaves. It came to refer to a group of warrior slaves sort of like the Ottoman Janissaries. They eventually rose in power in a few different places in the middle east, wound up running the military, and then holding political power.

After Napoleon invaded Egypt he formed a Mamluk corps in his army. They fought in various European campaigns. The epithet may have come from these obviously foreign soldiers who had funny uniforms and odd habits.

19. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Years ago I was at Giant stadium watching Juventus play Manchester United there had to be over 70 people at that game. I went with my soccer friends to watch Juventus win.
    However, their coach did not really care if they won or lost. How did I know he divided his starters into 2 teams. Half the team in the first half and the other half in the second team.

After the first half they were losing to Manchester United Sir Alex managed them. What I like about him was he wanted to win all the games his team played here in the states.

Any way to the real story we were all in the upper deck top of the world Ma. :) I dislike going with a group because they buy the cheap tickets. My kids bought my wife and I tickets to see the Paul McCartney concert at the basketball arena here in Brooklyn same thing top of the world Ma :)

There was this little kid sitting just to my right in the next row a little further back then us.. His father bought this big stupid plastic red horn. He is blowing this fing thing right near my ear. I put up with it for a while I see the father isn't saying to him about blowing it near other spectators.

So I go up the next aisle of seats where they are sitting. I lean over and whisper to the boys father if he blows that fing horn near my ear again I would throw his father off the upper deck. Then I sat down no horn the father and his son had left.

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    LEGEND

21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    when was this? and what was the reply

22. Cubanlix63

Cubanlix63 Member+

AFC Ajax
    Feb 19, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  23. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me get this correct.
    You got butt hurt at a professional men's soccer match over what horn a kid was using and decided the most manly thing to do was go threaten the kid's dad?
    Please turn your man card in at the nearest location.

And since you posted this heroic story on a Redneck thread, let me stress to you that if you were to ever do that to a redneck with his son around at some sporting event, you would be sucking dick with no teeth for the rest of your life. Just a heads up Chief.