Any Gold Cup predictions? [R]

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by mthen1115, May 6, 2013.

1. Wiso

Wiso Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Phoenix
    Club:
    Club León
    none of this B squad sh1t..

We win with the best possible team we can field.

and we lose with the same team..

If the US wins the gold cup this year, they beat a senior Mexican side.

i'll be pissed

2. Overachiever

Overachiever Member+

Nov 18, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yes we will see

3. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell of an argument.

Sebsasour repped this.
  4. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Still want to see the official 23 man rosters before i make a prediction on the winner.

Although I will say I believe Mexico will not have it as easy as many think they will. Canada can close down shop, bunker and make things interesting. Panama can do the same.
    They each have a cohesive core nucleus of teamates that have played together in many Senior tournaments.

Mexico is going to have to feel themselves out and learn how to play together as a team as the tournament goes along.

5. Overachiever

Overachiever Member+

Nov 18, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Logical argument :D
    Yes eventually Mexico will win it :D

6. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Possibly.
    Or they will lose it.

7. Overachiever

Overachiever Member+

Nov 18, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Or they will most likely win it :)

8. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Overachiever

Overachiever Member+

Nov 18, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yay for me!!! :D

soccersubjectively repped this.
  10. Blue_nation724

Blue_nation724 Member+

Mar 16, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    well, the rosters are out and one of the teams to take a completely strong squad will be ES. while mexico has alot of talent with that young squad, and honduras also has a massive amount of talent with that young squad, USA and ES have a more complete and experienced squad which will be very useful in this tournament

11. Tejano

Tejano Member+

Sep 25, 2012
    Puro ATL
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    and.....

These guys are not noobs, they Liga MX professionals some of the best at their positions in the league. I wouldn't say they are inexperienced. Liga MX players don't get exported because they are not good it's because they are payed so well in Mexico. I wouldn't dismiss the Gold cup team so easily. I am looking forward to seeing them play. Just because they are domestic does not mean they are not good. Liga MX is not MLS. MLS highest worth team: 12 M pounds, Liga MX lowest worth team: 17 M lbs.

Mexico should win it (I am not saying they will breeze through, but they should win it).

Overachiever repped this.
  12. Blue_nation724

Blue_nation724 Member+

Mar 16, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    I never said they were. But, if we talk about experience at international level, both the US and ES brought players that have been playing international for some time now, so that helps them more. And while liga MX is a good league, a lot of US and ES are playing abroad, which again, will help them. Never did I say they should win.

13. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010

Your over selling the ES team experience it is mostly a young squad that isn't that experienced.

14. Blue_nation724

Blue_nation724 Member+

Mar 16, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    This squad is the same basically the same squad thats been playing together since January. Of course there are changes, but mostly the same so they have experience playing with each other and playing against other opponents

15. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    Maybe we define international experience differently to me an experienced international player in Concacaf has started a few gold cup games and WCQ's for a couple of years not months

That isn't the case with this ES squad. Having played a few friendlies and UNCAF games doesn't make them exprienced in my book.

16. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Group A: Mexico, Panama, Canada, Martinique.
    Group B: Honduras, T&T, El Salvador, Haiti
    Group C: USA, Costa Rica, Belize, Cuba

Winner: Mexico.

17. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    Don't mean to sound like an SS but that matchup is not very hard to predict since this has been the final in the past 3 editions...It would be nice if we could get something else once in a while...just saying...

18. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I wouldn't argue with that, I'd love Mexico to lose earlier, but I'm a US fan so I'm going to root for the US even that means setting up the same Final

19. DCatracho17

DCatracho17 Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Chicago,USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    USA takes the cup this time after all Mexico is sending their B team....

20. Overachiever

Overachiever Member+

Nov 18, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I think Mexico is capable of pulling the upset, we have alot of players that have played together on the national side

21. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa

We are still missing a ton of first choice players: Howard, Guzan, Cherundolo, Bradley, Altidore, Dempsey, Jones, Cameron, etc. In reality, both teams have less than desirable rosters.

Still, I like our roster for the most part. Interestingly there are quite a few dual nationals on both sides of the Mexico/US aisle (Brizuela, Ponce, Saucedo for Mexico and Castillo, Corona, Gomez, Orozco-Fiscal, Gringo Torres for the U.S.).

Should be a good tournament. Not very daring to predict a U.S.-Mexico final but from there either team could take it.

Would like to see a team like Canada get a shot at the final, but I don't think its gonna happen.

I'll go with a 2-1 win for the U.S. in extra time of the final, since I'm a homer :D

22. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa

Edit: Apparently, though his mother is American, Cirilo isn't technically a citizen because he didn't apply for citizenship before he was 18 and thus it would take 5 years to become one since he was born in Mexico.

This is from both Cirilo and his contact with the USSF last year.

23. DCatracho17

DCatracho17 Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Chicago,USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Very true

24. TavoElTico

TavoElTico Member

Aug 27, 2010
    Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Costa Rica has a good chance.

We've got the same central defender pairing that has got 4 clean sheets in the last 4 Hex matches, experienced players capable to lead in midfield and the front (Barrantes, Borges and Saborío), and other players that have been starters in the Hex (Ariel Rodríguez, Jairo Arrieta, Yeltsin Tejeda, Kenny Cunningham, Junior Díaz, Cristopher Meneses). Rodney Wallace, Yendrick Ruiz (Bryan's younger brother), Carlos Johnson, Mauricio Castillo and Kendall Waston have little experience on the NT level, but have been on a great run of form for their respective clubs. I believe we have more than enough to challenge for the title.

I expect a starting 11 looking something like this:

-----------------------------------------Pemberton (Alajuelense)-----------------------------------------

Johnson (Cartagines)---González (Valerenga, NOR)---Umaña (Saprissa)------Díaz (Mainz, GER)

------------------------Rodríguez (Alajuelense)--------Barrantes (Aalesunds, NOR)-------------------
    --------------------------------------------Borges (AIK, SWE)--------------------------------------------

Cunningham (Strongest, BOL)--------------------------------------------Wallace (PL Timbers, USA)
    --------------------------------------------Saborío (RSL, USA)-------------------------------------------

Tejeda (Saprissa, CDM), Miller (NY Red Bulls, USA, CD), Madrigal (Saprissa, RB), Meneses (Norrkoping, SWE, LB) and Granados (Herediano, CDM) have a chance to make the starting 11 as well.

25. TavoElTico

TavoElTico Member

Aug 27, 2010
    Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    An alternative to that, posibly against a strong team like the US, is playing something similar to this:

-----------------------------------------Pemberton (Alajuelense)---------------------------------------

----------González (Valerenga, NOR)---Umaña (Saprissa)----Miller (NY Red Bulls, USA)----------
    Johnson (Cartagines)----------------------------------------------------------------Díaz (Mainz, GER)

------------------------Rodríguez (Alajuelense)---------Barrantes (Aalesunds, NOR)------------------
    --------------------------------------------Borges (AIK, SWE)--------------------------------------------

--------------------Arrieta (Columbus Crew, USA)-------------------------------------------------------
    ----------------------------------------------------------Saborío (RSL, USA)-----------------------------