Any comic book/graphic novel fans?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Dr. Know, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've started reading a lot of older Vertigo series. I'm almost done with The Losers, next is The Crusades. I also just got done reading Proposition Player and Cairo, both were pretty good and recommended. Daytripper, a new max-series that just came out last week from Fabio Moon and Gabriel Ba, is pretty good too.

The Vertigo Encyclopedia really opened me up to a bunch of older stuff, great job Alex. And I'm not even done reading it.

Monthly, I've got a ton of stuff that I'm currently reading. Fables, DMZ, Northlanders, Underground, Scalped, Ex Machina, X-Force, X-Factor, Dark Avengers, New Avengers, Power Girl, Dark X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, Daredevil, Air, Captain America, 28 Days Later, Chew, Cable, Batman: Streets of Gotham, Gotham Sirens, Superman, Action Comics, Powers, The Boys, Batman and Robin... man there are a bunch more, just way too much to list.

2. irvine

irvine Member

Nov 24, 1998
    S. Portland, ME
    Me too, actually. I ran across quite a bit of stuff that I'd missed when it came out. Cairo's a terrific book, isn't it? If you liked it, you should try Air. (Although it seems like you have enough to read...)

3. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I really liked the job that was done on the encyclopedia. My christmas reading list is rather large right now because of it.

As for Air, it's one of my monthly titles but I'm not too sure how much longer I'll last with it. I really liked how it started, but the past few issues just haven't interested me. I've really gotten into the latest Madame Xanadu storyline though, my interest waned with the story arch before it, but once Amy Reeder Hadley returned my interest immediately returned. Not to mention the excellent story going on right now.

4. irvine

irvine Member

Nov 24, 1998
    S. Portland, ME
    I've been liking Madame X too.

Far as the Vertigopedia goes, the best part of it was getting boxes full of comics in the mail to read and write about. Now I'm doing the same thing with an essay on comics in the 50s that's going to be part of the DC Chronicle...

(Brief shameless self-promotion: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Daredevil-Noir-Premiere-HC-Unnumbered/dp/0785139419/"]Daredevil Noir Premiere hardcover[/ame] is out! Go get it!)

5. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am extremely jealous.

6. Shannbo5150

Shannbo5150 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Sarawak
    Nat'l Team:
    Swaziland
    Just bought this book... I've collected American superhero type comics for over two decades that harken back to my ladhood (so mostly 1970s), and football has always helped life have more nuance for me. This book is terrific, especially if you like both comics and football.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Footballs-Comic-Book-Heroes-Footballers/dp/184596408X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262020340&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Football's Comic Book Heroes: The Ultimate Fantasy Footballers (9781845964085): D. C. Thomson, Adam Riches: Books[/ame]

7. SteamPunkr

SteamPunkr New Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    does anyone know where i can get the New Spring comics? they're a comic adaptation of robert jordan's wheel of time novel series. like a prequel to the novel. published by the dabel brothers, i believe the first issue came out last spring, but they're hard to track down.

8. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just read The Watchmen. It was not only my first graphic novel but my first comic book of any kind. It was okay. I think I will stick to normal books. I like being able to picture things as I see it in my head.

9. irvine

irvine Member

Nov 24, 1998
    S. Portland, ME
    Don't give up now! Watchmen isn't the best introduction to comics because it's so sophisticated in its use of graphic storytelling techniques that much of its greatness is only apparent to people who read a lot of comics.

You have to learn how to read comics the same way you learn anything else.

VincentVega repped this.
  10. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Imhotep versus the Brood? Galileo taking on Galactus? Da Vinci flying to the sun?

Hickman's Secret Warriors and S.H.I.E.L.D. (after just one issue!) are two of my three favorite Marvel books right now.

Then again I'm a geek when it comes to S.H.I.E.L.D. and Nick Fury.

11. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm absolutely loving this series. Each issue tops the previous in my estimation and I can't wait to see how the finale wraps it up. If I could give out my own Eisner award Daytripper would win it.

What a crazy concept with excellent execution.

12. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I posted earlier today about my Eisners and didn't even realize the actual Eisner nominations were released today.

Here they are:

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci_eisners_main.shtml

From the major awards I have to same I'm pleasantly surprised to see Fiona Staples nominated for Best Penciler. I definitely like her work.

13. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm really liking the new American Vampire, from Vertigo. Just got a copy of S.H.I.E.L.D. today and am looking forward to it. I like Hickman's stuff on Secret Warriors, and really dug Pax Romana. I'm also REALLY liking Last Days of American Crime.

My weekly reading list is HUGE, I should probably start scaling back but I can't. Thankfully Marvel is helping me out by getting rid all the Avengers titles going on and consolidating it into just one series.

I got my iPad and am loving the fact that I can have a ton of comics on it. I just uploaded the first 50 issues of Cerberus and have started to read it. I hope to complete the series within the next 7 months or so.

14. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
  15. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You're either being sarcastic or haven't heard.

Now there will be Avengers, New Avengers, Secret Avengers and Avengers Academy. Sorry.

16. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I just heard about Secret Avengers. I thought I read that New Avengers was going the way of the dodo bird as well. Avengers Academy is news to me, so it's basically just the Initiative rebranded?

BTW, finally read S.H.I.E.L.D. and all I can say is wow, it sure is different but in a good way. BTW, people should try Turf. Jonathan Ross is writing it and the first issue was pretty damn good.

17. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It looks that way. It's a bunch of characters who I believe are brand new. I'm wondering what happened to the Young Avengers. That was a great series that put Jim Cheung on the map as an artist and had a gay relationship between two teens, plus an excellent story overall.

I'm looking forward to crazy Nostradamus showing up. Did you see Apocalypse and Moon Knight in the ancient Egypt scene? Then you get Reed Richards & Tony Starks' dads later on.

I've been hearing good things. I think it's a mini-series so I may wait for the TPB.

18. delaford321

delaford321 New Member

Apr 6, 2010
    I have wanted to get into graphic novels, but have been unsure where to start. Anyone have any suggestions for newbies? I loved the _V for Vendetta_ movie with Hugo Weaving a few years ago is that a good graphic novel?

19. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd recommend you pick up the graphic novels of the following... Y the Last Man, the Losers, any of the Vertigo Crime graphic novels, Scalped, DMZ (basically anything Vertigo). If you liked V for Vendetta, trying reading the graphic novel. You might even like the Watchmen.

20. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    delaford, I would follow up Dante and say there are different graphic novels out there for everyone and not just superheroes. So it may also depend on your interests but the Vertigo line is a good place to start looking.

21. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Is this where you can say what you've been reading?

A colleague of mine loaned me the Year One series of Huntress and I quite enjoyed them. I wasn't that familiar with the character but it was one of the better series I've read over the past few years.

22. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Read the "X-Men: Messiah Complex" series. Not bad.

23. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Messiah brought me back to the X-Franchise.

I just finished up on the second volume of The Killer, absolutely love it. I'm still chugging along with a lot of Vertigo titles as well as too many others to list.

24. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    A colleague just loaned me the first seven editions of the Ms. Marvel vol #2 series. Good stuff so far.

25. AnxietyCoachJohn

AnxietyCoachJohn Red Card

Nov 23, 2010
    Santa Monica,CA
    all you've listed there is great comic book i really love reading them so many actions and great stories to so fun to read so interesting

AnxietyCoachJohn :cool: