Antonio Conte, Manager of the Azzurri

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Stamos, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The other thread is old and things are official now: Antonio Conte is the new Manager of the Azzurri.

Thoughts, hopes, concerns?

Can Conte turn things around...is the talent there to do so?

I think Conte should (and will) employ a 4-3-3 (wide) and a 4-2-4 (wide) - both are similar formations that allow us to play a wider game, with emphasis on our wingers and less reliance on short, lateral passes. Both formations require one lone substitution to switch over to the other (an attacker for a central mid, and vice versa), and both allow Pirlo, De Rossi and Verratti to excel in deep lying roles with a duty to play out wide or to one of our strikers centrally.

If I was Conte, I'd drop Balotelli for now. Tensions are high internally within the camp and a lot of it has to do with Mario. I'm not saying to phase him or drop him completely from the squad, but I'd like to see some new faces.

My 23 for the September matches:

Buffon, Sirigu, Scuffet
    Donati, Darmian, Chiellini, Rugani, Barzagli, Camporese, Santon, Antonelli
    Pirlo, Verratti, De Rossi, Marchisio, Jorginho (if Jorginho is still not eligible, then Baselli)
    Insinge, Florenzi, Gabbiadini, Bernadeschi
    Berardi, Rossi, Immobile

jerrito repped this.
  2. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I have always been proud that Italy is a team that fights on the pitch. My biggest disappointment is that in Brazil is that we looked like we had given up at times. At least in 2010 we saw effort from the players. I think that Conte is a good pick because these players need motivation as never before. He is that type of man. Whichever tactics he decides to employ, finding a manager that demands that his players give everything on the pitch after having done so himself is a very good start, in my opinion.

With the players we have, I believe that the possibilities are good for a fast return to being in the top 4 or 5 teams in the world.

3. Sal

Sal Red Card

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Forza Cunte

LGRod repped this.
  4. blublood

blublood New Member

May 9, 2014
    everywhere
    Club:
    Torino FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What systems has Conte used, when he has coached? i know he liked 3-5-2 with juve

5. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  6. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Caption:
    Conte after hearing Juve fans don't like him anymore...
    [​IMG]

7. Toro89

Toro89 Member+

Jul 6, 2014
    Southern Italy
    Club:
    Torino FC
  8. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Apparently, Conte has chosen the following 9 players playing outside of Italy for our first friendly/qualifiers in a few weeks:

Sirigu
    Criscito, Donati
    Thiago Motta, Verratti, Giaccherini
    Immobile, Pelle, Borini

Very interesting...more Motta and Giaccherini it seems, which isn't good.

Pelle gets recognized...I'm intrigued.

Criscito seems to be back in contention...

and Giulio F***KIN Donati!! Finally makes his way to the Azzurri..

Forza Conte

9. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Considering the above, my prediction (not MY ideal) 23 for September games:

Buffon, Sirigu, Perin
    Chiellini, Bonucci, Astori, Ranocchia, Donati, Darmian, Di Sciglio, Criscito
    Pirlo, Verratti, DDR, Marchisio, Giaccherini, Motta, Jorginho
    Immobile, Rossi, Borini, Pele, Destro

10. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Where did you read this? I love Criscito and Donati joining the fold, but can't understand why Borini and Motta are being considered. Don't really believe in Pelle at all, but not a terrible idea to at least give him a shot.

11. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Read it on a social media post - the source is usually reliable, but let's just take it for a grain of salt for now. I'm hoping a couple names on that list are wrong (cough *Motta *cough)...

12. sempreITALIA

sempreITALIA Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #12 sempreITALIA, Aug 22, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
    My optimal 23 for Holland match:

GK: Buffon, Sirigu, Perin

DEF: Chiellini, Barzagli, Bonucci, Ranocchia, De Sciglio, Darmian, Criscito, Donati

MID: De Rossi, Pirlo, Marchisio, Jorginho, Romulo, Florenzi, Giaccherini

FOR: Balotelli, Destro, El Sharaawy, Cerci, Pelle/Gabbiadini

*Rossi for Pelle/Gabbiadini if Beppe was healthy, but Pelle deserves a run out after his two impressive seasons in Holland. Gabbiadini is a bright light in the darkness that has consumed Italian soccer up front. Quality player.

jerrito repped this.
  13. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    jerrito repped this.
  14. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Pelle the new Matri.

15. FORZA NAPOLI <3

FORZA NAPOLI <3 BigSoccer Yellow Card

May 27, 2013
    Land down under!
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    And who is this Mr Conte ?

jerrito repped this.
  16. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    A man who should wear a hat. ;)

FORZA NAPOLI <3 repped this.
  17. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think he put it the correct way. It is not that I do not want to see Balotelli play for Italy. But I want to see him give everything when he wears the Azzurri shirt, or not be called up at all. In other words earn it. I think he was given a lot of room to be himself because of his talent, and that may have slowed his development as a player. I want to see him play hard but in control, or not play at all.

FORZA NAPOLI <3 repped this.
  18. azzurri18

azzurri18 New Member

Jul 6, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan

Conte has the talent. Azzurri have done extremely well, whenever they deployed the 3-5-2 sytem, which is Conte's favourite.
    Prandelli did not like the system and used it reluctantly, insisting on his beloved 4-4-2 and his failed 4-3-3

Fact is when Juve, used the 4-4-2 system prior to Conte taking over 4 years ago, they finished in 7th spot and took a lot of goals against. Juve's Defence included Buffon, Chiellini, Bonucci, which still makes up the core of National defence. They're not good enough to play with that system. The addition of Barzagli and the new system changed Juve around.

The system is the key from hereon. Conte has mentioned going with Candreva and El Sharawy on the wings, keeping two strikers. That is a very aggressive move, however it may be deployed against teams like Malta. With Pirlo out De Rossi will be stationed in front of the D, collapsing to a defensive role, when defending.

Maggio, Darmian, De Sciglio, Pasqual and Criscito are well suited to play the flanks in the 3-5-2 system, as they have good attacking qualities which is the best part of their game. They suffer when used as traditional fullbacks.

That is the key.

Upfront Conte has a choice from about 10-12 good forwards. He likes the two forwards to play close together....it will be up to him to find the right combs...

Prandelli was an idiot to use, DDR, Pirlo and Verratti in the position in front of the D....what a waste of talent...Verratti needs to play up...he's too weak defensively....he and Pirlo should not play together....

jerrito repped this.
  19. Parcae

Parcae Member

Nov 3, 2013
    The problem with the 3-5-2 is that you can't really use wingers except against weaker teams. Also, the lack of a real leftback would present a problem.

20. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Can anyone confirm that Antonio Conte is the first Southern NT coach.

[​IMG]

21. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    looks like he is Roma doesnt count.

22. sempreITALIA

sempreITALIA Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Conte is from Lecce in Salento, Puglia. Viva il sud!

23. Garibaldi

Garibaldi Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Toronto, Ontario
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    yes Conte is from the south and it takes a southerner to bring along the passion, flair and Grinta and feelings and life back to our team and game!

Viva Puglia
    Viva L'Italia
    Viva La Roma!

24. FORZA NAPOLI <3

FORZA NAPOLI <3 BigSoccer Yellow Card

May 27, 2013
    Land down under!
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Don't make me vomit, please he has no southernness in him

25. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Wow that's a good result today from Conte and the lads, I might actually start to get positive about the NTs future prospects now.

On another note Prandelli is probably feeling like siht right now.

jerrito repped this.