another study finds conservative media bias

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Feb 27, 2009.

1. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    538 should stick to overanalyzing political polls and sports statistics...

2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Trump played the media again. First, the Mueller Report didn't count, not all the obstruction of justice incidents, nor all the convictions of his associates, if there wasn't definitive proof that Trump himself worked directly with Russian agents. Now using a foreign government to smear a political rival is fine, unless it is definitively proven that he traded favors in the process.

If Trump shot somebody dead, he would say "Yeah but I didn't shoot him the head." The media would then study whether that was so, certify the bullet as entering the upper neck, and pronounce him cleared of the charges.

Auriaprottu, dapip and fatbastard repped this.
  3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I cite a tweet to highlight something I’ve noticed in the MSM. Constant discussion of how impeachment might help Trump and the GOPs, essentially no discussion of how it might hurt them.

dapip and bigredfutbol repped this.
  4. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

My guess is that they are looking at the polls and seeing virtually no movement.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That explains them not asking about Susan Collins. It doesn’t explain the article I cited.

6. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Essentially, the MSM won't extract a price from the GOP.

fatbastard, xtomx and dapip repped this.
  7. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yep.

The answer never is that the GOP needs to move back to the centre and stop with the proto fascism

Auriaprottu, bigredfutbol and xtomx repped this.
  8. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    Proto fascism is good for those currently in power. For now.

9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The talk (I agree not a lot) is about how voting for impeachment may hurt them (Republicans).

So I think it is already baked into the media analysis, that going against the President would hurt the GOP a lot more than covering for him.

I have seem commentary (mostly articles) on how surprising it is that even retiring republicans are not willing to come out against the President, I guess that the media expectation is that if there is going to be a backslash against the President by republicans it will come from retiring Republicans, and they seem surprised that it is not happening just yet.

https://www.usnews.com/news/politic...o-lose-will-retiring-republicans-desert-trump

bigredfutbol repped this.
  10. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
  11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For some reason I can’t copy the link and paste it here, but WaPo has a big article out about how Congressional Republicans are sad about the huge budget deficit.

The 1970s are over.

12. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
  13. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    All Republicans about the deficit:
    upload_2019-12-23_10-5-54.jpeg

...while voting for the spending bills.

dapip repped this.
  14. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    #864 Cascarino's Pizzeria, Dec 23, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    Think it was Eric Boehlert on tv over the weekend who said that the "let's ask Trump voters in Iowa diners what they think of impeachment" is such a tired old media trope that's continuing in this election cycle. The cable outlets and national papers are all guilty of it. The analog would've been the media showing up in South Central or Harlem diners and asking AAs what they thought of the job Obama was doing. I bet none of us recalls seeing that.

Here's a recent interview with Boehlert where he goes into it plus the media's hatred of the Clinton's

The American news media is possessed by a deep fear of Republican hardball. Therefore, they were nervous about being portrayed as out of touch because Trump had won and they missed the story. They're nervous about being portrayed as part of the “liberal media” and they had never experienced anything like Trump before. They got a taste of it during the campaign with all of Trump’s “fake news” and such things. That knocked the American news media back on their heels and they didn't have the courage to stand up against Trump. This happened in many different ways and important moments.

The American mainstream press was cowed, and they embraced this timidity. In turn, they decided, particularly the New York Times, that they need to go write a story literally every week for the next two years about white voters in red states and how much they love Donald Trump.

But when Barack Obama was president for eight years, I don't think there was one story in the New York Times about how black voters in Baltimore love Barack Obama. It wasn't news. The New York Times didn't care about love for Obama among black voters. But wow, the New York Times loves to go to those diners and find those white folks who love Donald Trump.

https://www.salon.com/2019/12/13/er...e-liberal-media-put-trump-in-the-white-house/

Auriaprottu, fatbastard and xtomx repped this.
  15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://pressthink.org/2019/12/the-christmas-eve-confessions-of-chuck-todd/

This is a great article by Jay Rosen. It is prompted by an interview of Chuck Todd that recently appeared in rolling Stone. In it, Todd basically admits that he has finally figured out that Trump and the GOP have broken the “both sides” model. Welcome to the club, Chuck, albeit 4 years late.

Rosen’s main point is that Todd’s ONLY ********ING JOB is understanding American politics. He’s NBC’s political director. Him confessing to his years of Naiveté is admission that he’s unqualified for his job.

But as I’ve mentioned elsewhere, one of the key themes of the last 11 years (going back to the financial crisis) or the last 17 years (going back to the Iraq War propaganda campaign) is that elites operate in a realm of complete impunity. Nobody goes to jail. It’s really hard to get fired, and when you do, Boeing gives you $60,000,000 as a going away present.

If you or I ******** up like that, we don’t last 4 years. We don’t get “******** you” money as severance.

sitruc, dapip, bigredfutbol and 2 others repped this.
  16. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Yes, DC is a big club where it'd be gauche to openly call Dubya/Cheney war criminals. They're from good families after all!

dapip and xtomx repped this.
  17. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Another Neocon from a good family, Bret Stephens, steps in it again:

In the column, titled "The Secrets of Jewish Genius," Stephens explores the idea that Jewish people, in particular the Ashkenazi Jewish ethnic group, are predisposed to be more intelligent than other groups.

Notably, the article referenced a 2005 paper measuring IQ which was scientifically questioned and written by a professor with ties to white nationalist groups, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center.

Backlash to the article argued that the assertion also promoted a school of thought called eugenics, which suggests that the human race can be improved by encouraging the reproduction of people with "desirable traits." This same ideology has been used to justify atrocities like slavery and the Holocaust.

https://www.businessinsider.com/new-york-times-statement-correction-bret-stephens-op-ed-2019-12

18. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    It's probably just a coincidence that Jews are far richer than the national average.

(That number might not be as high as it used to because the fücking Orthodox have ~25 babies in each family.)

19. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, and if you spoke with some "expert" about this in the 1940s, they would have told you how Jews were "naturally" good basketball players and that it was something genetic about their "race." Or it could be that a lot of them lived in cities and played basketball on playground courts and some ended up being pretty good at it. When they moved up and out to the suburbs and Blacks moved in to those neighborhoods, all of a sudden they became great basketball players.... Must have been something in the water.

20. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Learned about this guy from an Adam Sandler movie the other day:

[​IMG]

21. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that the new Sandler movie where he gets into a bunch of hot water gambling on basketball games? Saw the preview and it looks like it might be worth checking out.

Fun fact: A woman I work with went to high school with Adam Sandler and sat next to him in chemistry class. As you might imagine, he was quite the class clown. The teacher once asked "what is the difference between an atom and an ion"? Sandler never would raise his hand, so when he did, he called on him.

"The difference between an atom and an ion? Adam is better looking!"
    "GET OUT! Right NOW!" Everyone laughed as he was high-fiving his buds on the way to the Principal's office.

dapip and Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  22. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It is, and it's a damn fine movie, but it's also a high-energy downer.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  23. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    My buddy & I got tossed out of HS algebra when the teacher said "Find X", turned his back on the class to write on the board and we ran around the room overturning books and looking behind potted plants.

"What are you two doing now?"

"Finding X. You told us to find it"

24. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    "Find X" was the prompt for one of my son's college essays. That was it, just "Find X."

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  25. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Sorry for hijacking the thread with a periodic reminder that the MSM sucks and they’ll help Trump in his pursue of war with Iran and election fraud: