Andrew Gutman at Cincinnati (on loan from Celtic)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by TheFalseNine, Dec 18, 2018.

1. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ve heard he’s going to Charlotte

Tom Collingsworth, TxEx and BostonRed repped this.
  2. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Typically speaking Celtic doesn’t announce a signing until it’s everything - work permit included - is signed, sealed and delivered. Since Pérez and Gutman were announced it’s safe to assume their permits were approved. With that said, that work permit may be effective at a later date and that’s why US loans are being sought.

3. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  4. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Can’t wait for a future press release of: “due to Charlotte’s anticipated MLS bid in 2025, and Don Garber giving us a shitty attitude on a conference call, we’ve elected to not continue with the loan signing of Andrew Gutman. We’ll have no further comment on the matter. Except during happy hour at the bar downstairs”.

5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gutman's new manager, does have a Celtic connection coaching the youth ranks. I think he was promoted to a performance coach of some sort under Neil Lennon. Don't quote me on that though. What's more interesting is that McGuinness was very successful Gaelic football player and manager who somehow, someway (I think via performance coaching) parlayed that into coaching soccer and led to him eventually landing the manager's gig in Charlotte. I am interested to see how McGuiness does. It's an odd transition. But......Celtic does trust McGuiness enough to place Gutman under his wing.

7. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    Didn't even realize there were two USL teams in NC

8. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/2...oiling-the-start-of-andrew-gutmans-pro-career

Andrew Gutman gets his loan to Nashville cancelled by MLS because they don't "support the transaction"...huge black eye on MLS in this one....

The "autonomy" of MLS clubs is all a show and basically non-existent - MLS is still a single-entity business and the "clubs" are all under the same management...they just pretend b/c it is better for fan engagement for them to believe that they are supporting a club and not a league.....

How many other young players' careers are being hampered by these goons?

SPOILER: a lot!

9. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nashville tried to skirt the rules and got caught.

The Scandinavian team the American investor is buying would have been perfect in this situation.

10. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "the rules" ok....that's what you call it?

11. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    this whole development strategy is perplexing to me.

12. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s not what I call it, it’s what their expansion agreement calls it. Their agreement requires them to follow MLS roster rules once their bid is accepted.

Nashville either didn’t know or they tried to pull a fast one and got caught.

13. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he was going to play IN USL as a loanee....mls roster rules apply how????????????????????????????????????????????

this was about revenge and sticking it to a player for not getting on his knees for MLS' minimum offer............nothing more.

14. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mls roster rules apply to expansion candidates. Similar to last year when MLS wouldn’t let FC Cincinnati sign Fabian Johnson during their USl season because it would bypass the allocation order.

Everything isn’t a conspiracy.

15. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The difference is that Nashville was taking a player on loan, while Cincinnati was trying to sign Johnson permanently. These situations aren't really comparable, and there's no evidence to suggest that Nashville was trying to include Gutman on their future MLS roster.

adam tash repped this.
  16. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i agree. "everything" is indeed not a conspiracy....as long as we keep a very loose and abstract definition of that word i'm in total agreement with you........

but i suggest you do a bit of research before sacrificing yourself at the front-lines for MLS- i've followed MLS since the 94 world cup, i feel i have a pretty good understanding of how they run things - of course the opaqueness makes some aspects of their operations hard to decipher..............

if you haven't been following as closely as i have (just guessing here) look up soccer united marketing (SUM) for starters......(Don Garber has a stake in SUM FWIW.....)

soccer in the us is run as a cartel and they don't even hide it! i mean they do a little - i guess just enough for casual observers like you to not realize how thuggish they are with their tactics........

17. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can’t be on the front lines when I haven’t even given an opinion. I just stated facts that I read from an article by Paul Tenorio ( maybe he isn’t as qualified as you either).

If you’ve been following for so long how come you don’t know that expansion teams have to follow mls roster rules?

FWIW it’s a stupid rule but stupid rules still have to be followed.

The whole mls HG structure needs to be revamped but I don’t see it happening soon. Mls is a league for young South Americans not young Americans.

18. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Signing a player on loan to the USL roster with no ability to sign him to the MLS roster is not a violation of MLS roster rules.

Hell, read Nashville's statement. MLS "doesn't support the transaction." It didn't say anything about the loan being against MLS rules.

adam tash repped this.
  19. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #119 m vann, Feb 22, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    https://www.uslchampionship.com/news_article/show/997746

As previously rumored, Gutman officially lands on loan at Charlotte Independence. New boss Jim McGuinness and Gutman had this to say regarding the connection to Celtic......

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sakibomb523, ChuckMe92 and Winoman repped this.
  21. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sakibomb523, ChuckMe92, eliwood and 5 others repped this.
  23. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Started for Celtic in a first-team friendly and seemed to do well.

http://www.talkceltic.net/forums/th...0-pre-season-friendly-celtic-tv.150645/page-4
    "Like the look of Gutman, really pacey and fair gets about for a left back."
    "Gutman looks decent. Quick and his passing and link up play is good. Would like to see him against St Gallen."

24. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did he get a work permit? I've been out of the loop on this guy but from what I understand the only reason why he was on The Gold Cup preliminary roster was to help him build a stronger work permit case.

Did that get taken care of?

25. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.