Andrew Carleton

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ielag, Jul 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't really matter when it ends. Atlanta is not the problem, Andrew is. Kid has all the talent in the world but chooses to be a complete f*cking idiot.

2. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    did something else happen? otherwise it seemed like the comments coming out of atlanta were that he had turned a corner in his professionalism

3. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It matters a ton, if you think for 2 seconds instead of constantly bemoaning a percieved lack of professionalism from a 19 year old kid.

If he goes to a team that has a reason to play him because he's crucial to their success and they paid him to go there, then he'll learn how it is to be looked upon as someone who is expected to produce and set a good example.

With Atlanta, he cashes a check, at home, on a trash reserve team, behind multiple good players. Put him out on his own and in new environs, and he'll be forced to grow up a bit just through adapting to new surroundings, and it's a little different if you play poorly AND you are bad off the field when you're playing in front of 20K fans every night.

4. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's wishful thinking. No matter where he goes he still brings his baggage with him. At some point the change needs to come from within.

frankburgers repped this.
  5. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Yin, meet Yang.

6. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not "wishful thinking", it's a logical counter. A claim was made, that it does not matter where he plays because he is unprofessional.

That's crazy. He could gain maturity in another environment. He could gain maturity through increased scrutiny. He could gain maturity by having distance between himself and friends/family that enable unprofessional behavior.

don Lamb repped this.
  7. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your whole second paragraph is literally wishful thinking.

frankburgers repped this.
  8. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, no difference between playing for ATL 2 and any other team in the world? Sure, makes sense.

It's wishful to suggest that someone could gain maturity somewhere else. It has never happened before.

9. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never said any of that, I'm only pointing out you're conflating your hopes and dreams with reality.

10. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My logical hypothetical is not "hopes and dreams". It is a set of possible outcomes from Carleton leaving Atlanta. I didn't project him going to Madrid, I didn't project his talent level, I didn't project anything out-of-the-ordinary that you couldn't say about most players who are in bad places at their current club teams, and indeed, about most players with maturity issues. Sometimes, a change of scenery is all they need, and it allows them to right the ship of their career.

don Lamb repped this.
  11. Eldinter

Eldinter Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if there's any chance of Atlanta loaning him to a team like Cincinnati next year if they're not interested in selling. Seems like he produced for ATL but the pecking order is too stacked for minutes in MLS. Cincinnati has lots of bad contracts so they'd take talent short term on the cheap if they could.

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup. The only way for Carleton's value to increase is for ATL to loan him to another MLS club. They can't sell him for anything right now. So loan him out, which the league has a mechanism to do for U23s, and hope he really takes off.

Also, this notion that he can't turn things around in another environment is silly. We've seen examples of that over and over and over again in professional sports. I'd also add that he didn't stab a girl scout. From what I've seen the "negative behaviours" are minor, correctable things.

13. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if I can dumb this down any further, but I'll try.

If AC doesn't change his attitude then it wont really matter what club he's with.

14. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    people keep saying this but weren’t all indications that was happening? fdb comments seemed to point in that direction

15. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then why wasn't he even making the 18?

FFS he played 64 MLS mins the entire season and not a single min came after March. Think about that. Think about all you've done in life since Easter. His last mins were before Easter.

Eleven Bravo and Gacm32 repped this.
  16. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    Maybe because his attitude is fine he’s just not that good

Gacm32, bpet15 and Dirt McGirt repped this.
  17. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other then some cryptic comments I just don't see the manifestation of these supposed changes in his USL performances or 1st team appearances.

18. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He had a strong finish to the USL season. It wasn't all bad.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  19. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Let’s see if he can finally get himself together next season.

If he doesn’t only USL teams will be interested at the end of next season. His contract is up then right?

TimB4Last repped this.
  20. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW Doug Roberson, a local AUFC writer, puts his breakdown of AUFC's contract situations and opinions. He believes Carleton's contract expires this year and that he will probably leave whether he is re-signed and loaned or doesn't have his contract renewed.

TimB4Last repped this.
  21. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Here's to new horizons!

majspike and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    He signed in 2017. I imagine his contract with Atlanta is similar to those of Pomykal, Cannon, Ferreira, Reynolds etc. with FCD. That was 3 years, but then FCD has two options years. So FCD is entering into the option phase of those contracts (other than pomykal, who they signed to a new contract).

So I think its likely that Atlanta has an option on his contract. They perhaps have chosen not to exercise it and will let him walk away. Seems like the best option.

23. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah the way the author of the article made it sound was that there is probably a team option, but he doesn't know for sure. That's why he mentions that even if the option is activated, then he would probably be loaned out.

24. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    How does the 3+2 contract compare to what FIFA recommends for term lengths for youth players? IIRC, MLS has chosen not to institute this policy even when it accepted T/SC.

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don't know.

What I do know in FCD's case is that when they sign teens, there seems to be good overlap between when the options year start and when long term decisions need to be made. They just extended 19-year old Paxton before those option years kicked in. There are probably discussions about extending (on big salaries a la Pax) or selling with regards to Cannon and Ferreira. I won't be surprised if there's resolution in both cases prior to the start of the next MLS season. They triggered the option on Bryan Reynolds' contract for next season presumably to take a look for another year. He's probably fine with that.

From my perspective the 3+2 works well when you sign a kid at 15 or 16. I'm sure Pepi's contract is very similar. Decision time coincides with the 18 or 19 year old range. If ATL doesn't think Carleton has a future with them, then they can decline the option. Totally a mess of their own doing. Carleton's value hasn't increased. They can't presumably sell him for anything to Europe. Maybe they can trigger the option and trade within MLS, but what are they getting in return?