Andrew Carleton

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ielag, Jul 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This has been discussed and there's no official confirmation, but I believe all interleague loans require a sell-on clause.

Also, of the many opinions I have on Carleton, one of the big ones is that he's best used on teams that are better than their competition. He plays such a technical combination game that he needs the players around him to be almost on his level technically or else he's probably a negative on the team as his skills would be rendered useless.

Atlanta is the ideal place for him, except for the fact that he doesn't play.

Sup Bro repped this.
  2. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's in it for them if it's just a loan? Wouldn't help them achieve anything nor would they get his transfer rights. He should be outright traded to one of those teams (or someone like RBNY who is in need of creators) who he could potentially help next year too and maybe eventually sell him once they pick up his options. I don't know if homegrown rights carry over to his new club so they could get the full transfer fee, but it would still be a worthwhile investment for them still.

I just don't understand why certain MLS teams operate the way they do. No relegation, there should be trade deadline fire sales like in other major American sports, and teams swapping for players at positions of greater need. But you just don't see it that much. Plenty of myopic clubs. Minnesota and Colorado especially seem like they're run by amateurs.

Patrick167 repped this.
  3. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. It's been discussed before, but RBNY would almost be the ideal fit between their willingness to integrate youth, tendency to operate higher up the park, and a need for more creativity, and surplus of backs. Seemingly will add Olosunde too.

4. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a reminder, we don’t actually know anything about Carleton’s contract. Some people think it ends after the current season because TransferMarkt says so, some people think there are two club options because that’s typical for homegrowns’ first contract. But neither “source” is reliable. We can only guess right now.

TarHeels17 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  5. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    We would know if Carleton's contract was up with no options in less than 6 months. While we can't say with 100% certainty that Carleton's contract has 2 team option years because it hasn't been reported on, a big deal was made out of Durkin signing a atypical HGP deal that ended a year earlier than normal when he was still 19. Nothing similar has been mentioned regarding Carleton's deal, so all the information points to it being a standard deal with 2 team option years the first option year starting in 2019.

6. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carleton could also play the obnoxious player route if he feels strongly he hasn't been treated well and wants to leave. At least two players on MLS have done so in regards to the option year of contracts and so far MLS hasn't pushed it to see what way a court / FIFA rules on the issue. Apparently MLS is OK with losing a few players to other leagues so that they can use that rule for most of their players.

7. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    The teams had to pay transfer fees. The teams that signed Camillo and Larin both paid significant transfer fees after MLS held their ground long enough.

Based on what I have read, MLS could win these cases if they cared to take it all the way to conclusion. But it's not worth the effort and money. They aren't afraid of losing the ability to sign these contracts.

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I haven't seen anything to indicate that Carleton isn't happy in Atlanta..................
    There's a lot of hearsay about Carleton's state of mind in these threads.

Tactical Hipster repped this.
  9. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Castillo also. Not sure they are getting as much as they could were this tactic not involved. Since it's now happened three times I think the league is slightly worried. Why take even a small chance when only three players over what five years?

10. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would State or Federal law prevail here?

I can leave my job if I want. My employer can't stop me, no matter what he puts in the employment agreement. In theory, he could try to prevent me from joining a competitor, but California rarely, if ever, supports such claims by companies. If a player says "I want out", can an MLS team truly "force" him to stay? And "stay" doing... what?

11. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Not if they want to play in a FIFA sanctioned league. The team doesn't have to release the ITC.

12. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry, that didn't help, could you say it another way? What's the ITC?

13. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    International transfer certificate. The player card basically.

You can go play soccer in a non FIFA league, you can go work at another job.

When you play professional sports you agree to play by the rules of that sport and league.

If you try to walk out of an NBA contract you can't just join another NBA team.

Well, in Soccer that works the same with FIFA. You walk from a team they still have your ITC. You better have a good reason for walking and be ready to fight to get your ITC released.

gunnerfan7 repped this.
  14. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you, that makes sense now.

15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/07/11/armchair-analyst-handing-out-grades-every-team-midseason

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    On the bench today.

I think he'll probably lose his spot after this week though when the Argentine defensive midfielder enters the squad. I wouldn't expect any minutes today because if he does something good, Martino has some pressure put on him to keep him in the 18 next week. I think we saw last week that Vazquez is likely still ahead of Carleton. He was given a couple games punishment by Martino for playing poorly in a Cup match. That benefited Carleton for a couple of games, in which he got a grand total of 10 minutes.

17. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    As frustrating as Martino's obstinance with using Carleton is, I blame his agent for getting him in this mess to begin with. (And Andrew and his family for picking this agent.)

I know it was exciting to have the HG deal presented to him at the time and the idea of playing at home is sexy, but he could have easily continued to play lower division soccer - and actually played - in the US till he turned 18 and then hand-picked the best European or Mexican option for his development with a realistic path to playing time.

18. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bingo.

It's exhausting seeing all the crying over Martino. Well not that exhausting, I don't really care as soon as I go into another thread, or go pick some tomatoes in my yard but you get the point.

This game is littered with coaches who pick their favorites over youth. Carleton however signed away key years to a team which barely even existed. He romanticized the idea of being a HG star for ATL rather than looking at the situation objectively. And it seems he received poor advice on top of it.

Naive comes to mind. He probably believed whatever ATL told him despite them having zero track record and not even having a coach on the books at the time.

It's the polar opposite of Sargent who woke up one morning at 17 to see SKC had slapped HG rights on him and he and his family were like, F this, I'm taking my talents to Oktoberfest. Then he patiently chose his destination wisely. He intentionally turned down larger clubs to go with one which it appears will fast track him to the 1st team.

The funny thing here is ATL does a lot right, more right than just about any other MLS team in the league's history. Bayern Munich does a lot right. So does Chelsea. As does Real Madrid. Doesn't mean they're a good place for a young HG to sign. And that's the real point.

This falls mostly on Carleton and his advisors. MLS has a lot of issues. Why would you sign away key years if you had options like Sargent? A smarter kid would have used the YNT WC performances to get trials in Germany at 17 while training with ATL and picked a club which really wanted him. It really isn't that hard. We have countless lesser talents getting trials across Germany/Holland. We have countless agents who specialize in exactly that.

KUSA77, Patrick167, USSoccerNova and 2 others repped this.
  19. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Stayed on the bench as ATL only used one sub, and was up a man for 25 mins.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  20. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    I don't know how much it would work, considering I've only seen this option work for veterans, but I'd basically poison the well, and try to force a trade or a loan. At this point what has he got to lose by being a colossal pain in the ---? Instead of getting a half hour on the field every second or third month he gets zero? Who gives a ----. Basically it's time to use the media, twitter, social media of all sorts and everything in-between to ---- on all things ATL, it's time to blow it up to get the hell out of his contract and/or at least force a move. He's wasted nearly 18 months at this point with this disastrous signing. The way out is to be a colossal ---hat. It doesn't always work, but it might work, and it's better than any other option he has. Hoping he gets some minutes, gets loaned out, ATL does the right thing for his career etc is pointless, he needs to force the issue. The only power he has is the power to be an embarrassment and a media stain on the team until they move you just to get the story off the pages.

Again, I'm almost positive it won't happen, and it wouldn't automatically work even if he did do it, but it's the only option likely to realize anything remotely positive in the next four months.

21. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    21 games in and only 23 MLS minutes. Unless some drastic injuries occur to Atlanta's fontline this season will end up being a waste of time for Carleton. I hope he is with a different club next season.

kba4life1, Pl@ymaker and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think it would be stupid to force a trade or loan to another MLS team. If he’s going to force something, force a move abroad.

If he plays anymore this season, it’ll be a handful of minutes. The only scenario I could see him playing any significant amount during a game the rest of the season is if Atlanta clinched the #1 seed early. Maybe then he’d get some playing time. But I agree it’s a lost season for Carleton. Not through his own fault, it’s because of Atlanta’s coach and management. They are hostile towards young Americans, which is a shame. They have the best academy in the league. No different than the Real Madrid, Bayern or Chelsea of MLS. Very good team, very good academy, well run club, terrible club for young domestic players. Same situation for lesser talents like Vazquez, Robinson, Goslin, Kunga. And I suspect Bello will have a similar issue to Carleton in two years.

It is crucial that he plays for the U-20’s in qualifying instead of sitting on the Atlanta bench (and not playing) during the MLS playoffs. I don’t think people realize how impressive what EPB did was with the U-20’s last cycle in getting to Europe. He got a move to one of the best clubs in the world almost completely on youth team performances instead of club performances. Carleton could do the same, but what if he has a bad tournament? Or what if Atlanta doesn’t release him and then doesn’t use him for the first team?

23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don't really think Carleton signing with Atlanta was a bad decision.
    He couldn't go anywhere else that was better than Atlanta.

He was 16 when he signed and it was going to be years before he could move to Europe. He's from Atlanta's homegrown territory so he couldn't move to another MLS academy.

I know folks like comparing his situation to Weston McKennie's, but its not quite the same. McKennie was offered a homegrown deal by Dallas at around the 16 year old age, but he said at the time that he was committed to an education at UVA. At the time, and now, I fully believe that. And Weston wasn't a high profile prospect as he wasn't part of the U17 USYNT. Then in the second half of his senior year in high school, his stock flew thru the roof. Then he was getting Euro interest as his 18th birthday approached, and it was too late for Dallas. I kinda see his situation like the current RSL crop. Soto and Ledesma seem like late bloomers in our pool. Neither were part of our U17s, and it was only in the last half year that we really started understand that these were prospects with Euro potential.

Carleton's intention (as far as I know) was always to go pro at an early age. If that was the case, his only option was Atlanta. Sure, he could have signed with a USL or NASL (at the time) team with facilities, coaching, etc. not as good as Atlanta's. No guarantee of playing time there either. He could have not signed the contract and waited two frickin years until his 18th birthday. And why would Atlanta keep him at their academy during that time? I don't know.

And we can also understand why the contract is the length that it is. From Atlanta's point of view there's no point offering a contract that expires at his 18th birthday. What makes sense from Atlanta's point of view is a contract that lasts a year or two longer than that so they can sell him (instead of having him leave for nothing at his 18th birthday). [Of course they're doing nothing right now to increase his value. At the time he signed the contract, how was Carleton supposed to know that was going to happen?]

No..............................I'm sorry.................the problem here is Martino. Up a man for 25 minutes, Carleton is on the bench..............and he only uses 1 sub. How? I mean, 10 minutes is something. 10 minutes keeps a player motivated and involved. 10 minutes provides a platform for a player to build on.

Pl@ymaker and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  24. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    #49 Kombucha, Jul 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    Carleton did play 90 for ATL2 on Wednesday in a 2-1 win over Bethlehem Steel.

Romario Williams, Brandon Vasquez, Sal Zizzo and Miles Robinson all started, so at least Carleton is both getting some run and also played with a group of a slightly higher caliber than previously.

upload_2018-7-16_8-35-16.png

Tactical Hipster repped this.
  25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I mostly agree, but he could’ve gone the Sargent route. Sargent didn’t play club football for two and a half years. And only about half of a year was he not in any everyday club environment. I think Bradenton closing is a bad thing. I know many say MLS clubs now need to develop these players completely, but I think we see they can’t.