Andres Guardado to LAFC

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Rahbiefowlah, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Zoidberg repped this.
  2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has Sutcliffe ever been right about any transfer rumor ever?

3. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    He's not the only one saying it.

4. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm sorry but my Spanish is VERY rusty. Why is it "la MLS" instead of "el MLS?" Serious question.

Oh, and good pick up for LAFC if true.

mbar repped this.
  5. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
  6. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    First time I watched him play, and it was live, was during the 2007 Gold Cup. I remember thinking how screwed we were having to deal with this guy for the next decade. He was electric. A decade later and IMO this is a great move by LAFC. Serious injury derailed him for a bit, and slowed him down, but a class and quality player from all I have ever seen.

Thinking of 2007 or so....anyone know whatever happened to Nery Castillo?

MPNumber9 repped this.
  7. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If he stays healthy, this is a really good signing.

8. argo15

argo15 Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    14911602554858.jpg

Mikebsiu, LGRod, Rahbiefowlah and 2 others repped this.
  9. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    That is awesome. I am huge saltwater fly fisherman so props to Nery and thanks for the post!

10. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas

11. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Nery Castillo is probably my favorite El Tri player ever.

LGRod repped this.
  12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I caught him when he was 17, and made a bunch of money off of it. One of the most lucrative weekends of my career. I shot the Chivas de Guadalajara vs Real Madrid / Crew@Fire doubleheader at Soldier Field in 2005. That was when Chivas was half Mexico National Teamers and Real Madrid had just put the Galacticos together.

It was probably my first "great" game as a photographer, and it was a good one to have a great game at. The light and crowd were great, and I was among the first photogs to have a large supply of the new Real Madrid stars.
    http://andymead.photoshelter.com/ga...Guadalajara/G0000UvduHNhtB.0/C0000byGFgSVMP_c

I got almost no sleep and was picked up at RDU the next day where I was driven to Charlotte for the "Copa Zapotec" between Tecos and Atlas in front of maybe 2,000 people at an NFL Stadium in a financial disaster for the firm sponsoring it. I had an absolutely terrible game, but I was also dog tired. I did notice the handful of young women in the crowd being very animated and excited whenever a young floppy haired player came near them, so I made sure to get some photos. Only one was halfway decent, but I made some good money off of it.
    http://andymead.photoshelter.com/ga...zhMs48t6eyI/I0000qSziJ8XCXwg/C0000byGFgSVMP_c

RafaLarios, mbar, TrickHog and 5 others repped this.
  13. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    League = Liga

GunnerJacket repped this.
  14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    What's amazing about Nery Castillo is how little he actually accomplished after he left Olympiacos in 2007. To call him a unaccomplished journeyman after that is being kind. He scored ~10 league goals in the subsequent 8 years and then retired to open a fishing shop. [He had to leave Olympiacos after that bizarre free kick stunt he pulled. What a buffoon.]

He only had 21 caps for Mexico. Scored 5 goals for them in the summer of 2007, and only one other goal in the rest of his international career (late consolation goal when losing 3-0 to Honduras). I don't know what an equivalent to Nery Castillo is in USMNT history. He's kind of a Clint Mathis figure. A talented player everybody knew was capable of so much more, but just didn't seem to get there. I'm sure there are USMNT fans who consider Clint Mathis their favorite player due to the skills we all knew he had.

[Clint Mathis had twice as many caps for the USMNT as Castillo had for Mexico.]

Andres Guardado is a class player. He'll be a great addition to the league.

jayd8888, Rahbiefowlah and SixKick repped this.
  15. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    The whole Nery signing did accomplish one of the more memorable things for me on Bigsoccer.

NSFW language:

Oh, and the last line of the video was very true.

16. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    oh. i remember that fondly. and what ever happened to that site where you could type and make cute cartoon animals curse ... i miss it as a meme generator.

castillo was a totally crap signing ... didn't houston also sign some other young mexican prodigy around that time who was also a flop?

17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

La mayor liga de futbol.
    La liga mayor de futbol.
    La liga de futbol mayor.

????

18. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Luis Angel Landin.

jayd8888 and MannieG repped this.
  20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of my favorite things ever on the internet.

Granitza78 repped this.
  21. Papillon Soo Soo

Jan 17, 2012
    Sounds like Charlie Davies to me.

Clint, at least scored a big one on the WC stage.

22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup. Although Nery Castillo was fantastic during one summer (2007) in the Gold Cup and Copa America. He finished 3rd in goals at that Copa America behind only Robinho and Riquelme.

[That was the competition the US sent a "B" team too and thus has been expunged from our collective memories.]

Nery Castillo is still only 33 years old, and really hasn't done anything in football since ~2007. Retired really early, Eddie Gaven-style. Eddie Gaven, by the way, is only 30 right now.

Andres Guardado isn't Nery Castillo (which I'm not accusing anybody of saying). Andres Guardado has been class for a long time. He has 134 caps already for Mexico, and is only 30 years old. If he stays healthy, and there's no real reason to think he won't, this will be a fantastic signing for LAFC. Not just in their community, but for the league.

MLS has been signing Mexican internationals for a long time, but it just seems like its going to a new level. They're getting them at a slightly younger age than they used to, and thus should have a great impact both on and off the field. I'm not implying that previous players like Paco Palencia, Jorge Campos, Cuauhtémoc Blanco and others didn't. It just seems like getting dos Santos and Guardado is a step up. Does anybody doubt that Chicharito won't end up playing in MLS? I don't.

Can we just imagine FC Dallas signing Chicharito? Holy hell would it be huge.

jayd8888 repped this.