Andrés Perea in Colombia

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ChuckMe92, Jul 7, 2017.

1. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 ChuckMe92, Jul 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    An '00 central midfielder who has also played center back. He was born in Tampa, FL and currently plays for Atlético Nacional U19 and Colombia U17. He is in contention for the U17 World Cup in India. He was provisionally cap-tied to Colombia at the South American U17 World Cup qualifiers, where he started 7 of their 9 matches, wearing the #6. (Via CONMEBOL's website.)

owhentheyanks.com/2013/08/17/00-us-eligible-player-starring-in-colombia/
    Snip of the cached version of the above article (OWTY's site is currently down):
    Earlier this year we were alerted about a Florida youth with Colombian roots, who headed down to Atletico Nacional de Medellin, one of the most successful clubs in South America. Andres Perea, a 2000 youth born in Tampa, is starring at center back. He is a leader who has shown great ability in commanding the squad and organizing from the back line.

His squad won the Pony Futbol Tournament, a prestigious event in Colombian football that has been the springboard for Colombian stars Falcao and James Rodriguez. Perea was named one of the stars of the tournament.

Perea spent a few years in Florida playing with VSI West Florida Premier Academy before making the jump to Nacional.

Here's an interview with him.
    http://capsulas.com.co/a-andres-felipe-perea-lo-espera-la-india/
    Snip (translated):
    -How were your beginnings in football?
    "I started in soccer from a very young age, thanks to my father who was a soccer player (Nixon Perea), the passion I think comes from the family, starts in Tampa, Florida at about 4 years. I entered a school called Old Mars F.C ,. I always liked to play in the middle of the field, (as well as my older brother at that time was a flyer that also encouraged me a lot). I perform as a central steering wheel or also as a mixed steering wheel.
    I lived in the United States for 5 years and when we arrived in Colombia to live I entered the National Athletic Club with 6 years of age where my parents accompanied me to develop my talent and continue with this dream that I have longed for, and so far, Economically as well as emotionally."

His Transfermarkt: https://www.transfermarkt.com/andres-perea/profil/spieler/491536

Eighteen Alpha and BostonRed repped this.
  2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    ChuckMe92 and BostonRed repped this.
  3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    It looks like this kid lived more of his life in Colombia. Not that he couldn't feel more American, but he only spent a few years here and now he's cap-tied to a good team like Colombia, so this might be a tough sell to get him to switch.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  4. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    So the first post of this thread answers my question. Probably not the biggest connection to the USA.

Hopefully he does not boss the USA at this tournament, as our CM can be prone to be bossed, and it'll be annoying if an American is the player who eliminates us.

6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Your attitude sucks! Hopefully he does great! And we both advance, beat them in the final after beating all the other teams with American-eligible players along the way, everyone comes back to us for their U20 cycle, and they all lead us to World Cup victory in 2022! Whoo!!!!

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  7. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Although his father's experience could serve as a cautionary tale: Nixon played for Colombia at the youth level but never the full NT.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  8. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't checked on this guy in a while but according to Soccerway and Wikipedia, he made his full debut for Atlético Nacional in 2017. 2 matches for a total of 33 minutes, and a yellow card.
    https://uk.soccerway.com/players/andres-felipe-perea-castaneda/475475/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrés_Perea
    He was also part of their first-team squad for the Florida Cup in early 2018. Obviously he will be with Colombia YNTs for a while longer, but he's worth monitoring given it's tough for anyone to break into the senior national team.
    @bungadiri He's made his Categoría Primera A debut and should be in the main forum.

9. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Not as tough as it might be if it were any other South American country. If he were, in fact, born in the US, he is likely to be intensely proud of this fact (as would his father) and envied by his peers. Colombians, for the most part, remain much more pro-American than their SA neighbors.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  10. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    According to Colombian sources (my son-in-law) he has a US passport.

Winoman repped this.
  11. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

http://nacionalespasion.com.co/atletico-nacionalcontinua-la-pretemporada-en-orlando-florida-usa/
    He was one of four U20 players to be with Atletico Nacional's first team for their 25-man preseason camp in Florida, where he was born. He's described as a "versatile midfielder with excellent technical ability." He's starting out the season with their U20 side, and has one goal so far.

@TheFalseNine "Andrés Perea at Atlético Nacional (Colombia)". He should be in the main forum as he's made his debut in Categoria Primera A, which is not a small-time league. Thanks!

12. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    The article goes on to say that Almiron, the coach, stated in a recent press conference that he plans to give more first team opportunities to players from their various youth squads.

Winoman, UniversalAdvice and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coming to Orlando on loan?:

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Official:

15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Transfermarkt doesn't have any 2019/20 stats, but it looks like he played several league matches already:

upload_2019-12-9_17-23-27.png

@bungadiri -- Let's promote, por favor.

Eighteen Alpha and bungadiri repped this.
  16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A quick NT note:

Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  17. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's in an interesting club situation. Went on loan to as good of or a better club and did fairly well. Now he returns to Nacional.

Don't know if the next step here is to play for Nacional, maybe make the loan move permanent, or use his success as a 19-20 yr old to compel a sale to a better league than both.

Nacional has a low key impressive sale history, typically to Argentina, Brasil, & Mexico for several million a pop, but occasionally a bigger club in Europe too.

18. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #18 bshredder, Dec 1, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    Berhalter was complimentary* in the press conference just now. He particularly noted Perez’s range as being very impressive

I really liked what I saw from him when he was on the field for Orlando.

Gacm32, adam tash and edcrocker repped this.
  19. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    Complimentary*

Midas Mulligan repped this.
  20. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Not every under-the-radar YA who comes to MLS plays their cards right, but it sure seems like this one did.

21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just as an FYI, the loan was made permanent.

But he is certainly one who wants to use Orlando as a springboard to Europe. He has a great relationship with Oscar Pareja.

23. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like he also wants to use the US national team as a springboard to Europe too...

“I played such a long time with Colombia, there is a deep feeling there, but to play for the U.S. would also be very wonderful, so I have had to take my time to decide. The decision is not long away from being made, it’s actually very close.”

What would else would compel him to put a rush on that decision, other than wanting to play in January camp, which he'd have to file a one-time switch for?

I guess he could be the exception who doesn't want to leave another national team hanging, but the other explanation is more likely.

And it would please me, because I think he'd be right in the mix w/ the likes of Cardoso & Yueill, but a different type of d-mid that I more appreciate, which is the rangy, defensively sound, smooth, dribbling, and playing more simple (but still positive) type.

He was 19-20 so he still did really well in MLS for someone of that age. But I do think Orlando suppressed his effectiveness somewhat by playing him further up the field. He's a d-mid & already better than a donk like Jhegson Mendez. Now Perea being on a full transfer & having a year of experience there should make him more of a fixture.

Gacm32 and bshredder repped this.
  24. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great interview! Were his answers in English or were they translated from Spanish? If it's the former, his English is damn good for having spent most of his life in the Spanish speaking world; even in Orlando he must speak a lot of Spanish at work.

bshredder repped this.
  25. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it was in Spanish. His English is actually okay but he wanted to speak in Spanish for this given the important topics at hand. He wanted to make sure he could give his best answers