And the Latest Lee News is ??????

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by RevsRule, Feb 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I look every day to see if there is anything new on the Lee situation and every day I find nothing. It seems that Burns is doing exactly what he does best... doing nothing. They really should get somebody involved that can try and work through this

kennytt repped this.
  2. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While most teams try to find a solution that is beneficial to both sides, the Revs prefer to act like a 5-year-old and pretend that Lee doesn't exist.

If that doesn't work, Burns is going to hold his breath until he passes out. That will really show Lee!

kennytt and MM66 repped this.
  3. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    It's clear whose side you're on, but to me, it's LN who is acting like the 5 y.o. (regardless of the Revs failure to deal with this before it became a crisis).

I really don't see how the Revs could retain any credibility if they gave into his demands while he's violating his contract.

RevsLiverpool and Soccer Doc repped this.
  4. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly both sides are being childish. Lee is holding his breathe until he gets what he wants and the Revs are saying if we can't have you nobody can

5. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Well, I kind of doubt that the Revs are telling his agent "never, no-way, no-how, not gonna happen". I suspect it's more like, "get him in camp, then we can talk". But, who knows?

Soccer Doc repped this.
  6. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never said Lee was blameless. I believe he should honor his contract. But I also think it is entirely possible that (speculating here): He asked for a trade, the team told him to wait until after the season. He did. He asked again, the team told him to wait until they had a new coach. He did. He asked a third time, they told him no.

If he's not happy here, maybe the money isn't that important to him.

Larin did the same thing. Did Orlando lose credibility with the way they handled it? I don't think so.

The Revs could also work with Lee's agent to broker a trade, but stipulate that he has to return to camp before they put the trade through.

Lots of ways to work with Lee's side, if they would just try.

RevsLiverpool and kennytt repped this.
  7. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they are certainly telling the media. They said they are not even discussing trade options. The fact that there has been neither side has offer to give a little to get the ball rolling in one way or another tells me these two sides are FAR apart and both sides are equally stubborn.

8. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What makes you think you'll see any news? This is the Krafts we're talking about.
    They'll tell us when they actually do something.
    Or Lee arrives at camp.

9. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What it boils down to for me is this.

I may not agree with Lee holding out, but at least I can understand it. It is what players in all sports do when they are unhappy, especially in pre-season. It is the only leverage he has to try to get some kind of compromise.

The Revs hardline stance is far less common. And I can't for the life of me see what they think they will gain by taking this approach. Credibility? They are losing credibility with agents and players they may want to sign in the future.

kennytt, BERich and MM66 repped this.
  10. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I don't think they need to worry about retaining credibility. In fact, I think it would send a better signal to potential future signings (and their agents) if the Revs resolved this rather than allowing it to fester.

I also categorically disagree with your characterization of Lee. He did everything by the book and the Revs refused to respond. The team put him in a corner where he finally had to say, "What part of 'no" don't you understand?" The only good faith in this entire saga has come from Lee Nguyen, who played hard through the 2017 season and didn't make a huge public stink about wanting out. Until the Revs move off their refusal to move him, he has no reason to give another inch. He's trying to figure out how to deal with a completely non-responsive organization.

kennytt repped this.
  11. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

NFLPatriot repped this.
  12. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    I am wondering if something else is happening behind the scenes. The ex-players on the talkshows always joke - what changes players minds - once you start getting hit in the $, meaning once they start getting fined - they show up to training camp.

If the Revs have really been fining Lee on a daily basis, he has already lost a ton of money.

Larin, and the other examples all had another club already in the their back pocket OUTSIDE the league and were willing to pay $$ so it made it easier for them to keep holding out to force the hand - even if they were being fined.

It does not seem Lee has this option, so either he is really taking an extreme Eff-You stance and losing a ton of dough at the same time - or something is happening behind the scenes.

Everything about it is just bad though.

13. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    A selection of latest Twitter chatter.
    961667191950241792 is not a valid tweet id

961700960241319936 is not a valid tweet id

961766541778980864 is not a valid tweet id

961631207262965765 is not a valid tweet id

dncm repped this.
  14. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What makes you think the Krafts even know who Lee is? This is Burns again.

I'd settle for rumors or leaks at this point.

15. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say the Krafts because not talking with the press is how they do things across their businesses. I suspect they don't even talk much with people from the paper and packaging trade press.

16. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, there are rumors that Tom Brady is unhappy with his contract after Jimmy G signed a huge deal with SF, and Tom is threatening to sit out OTAs this spring.

This from a Ron Borges article on the Herald's site which has since been taken down.

Think the Pats will draw the same line in the sand, demanding Tom honor his contract? Think they will start taking his picture off their website? Will they lose credibility if they negotiate with Tom?

Sure Lee isn't the GOAT, but he is arguably the most important player on the Revs.

17. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    So Lee is in Dallas right now looking pretty happy. Has that tweet been deleted though? I am not a twitter maven.

18. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    That's a rather stupid (by Borges, or whoever picked it up), though predictable, rumor. Brady has known for years that many younger, less talented, less winning QB's have been making a lot more money than he has.

To suggest that because one more pushed the envelope further, suddenly he is unhappy? He's clearly been willing to make the choice to leave money under the cap to build a better team around him. I think it's silly to think that Jimmy G's deal is suddenly going to change his thinking.

And, if money was a big deal to Brady, it easily could have been him who went to SF instead of Garrop - and signed that huge contract ... if he wanted.

19. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice sidestep. Have you ever considered a career as a matador? ;)

Whether the rumor is true or not is irrelevant to Lee's situation. The question remains, in this scenario, would the Kraft organization treat Tom the same way they are treating Lee? I think the clear answer is "no".

20. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Yes. The Revs are never going to be treated just like the Pats as long as there's such a huge gulf in revenue (that's not to say that they shouldn't be handling Revs' issues better).

21. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not. Borges got fooled.

A Casual Fan repped this.
  22. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you want news?

kennytt, VTSoccerFan, Jon Martin and 3 others repped this.
  23. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, RKupp, so reliable a blazer for Burns... The problem, RKupp, is that the Revs have no credibility whatsoever. And that is exactly the credibility they are retaining.
    Now, let's enjoy the spectacle of them shelling out twice what they did for Lee, but for a player of half his ability.

24. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is this a prelude to contract negotiations or the FO taking offers for Lee's services?

25. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    #25 A Casual Fan, Feb 9, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    The 2nd tweet (apparently deleted) was from Dallas Texans soccer club, referenced someone "running a session for" (as best I can recall the wording) for Lee. It was kind of odd, as it implied the workout(?) was just for, or mostly focused, on Lee. The tweet directly referenced (as best I recall) Jan Van Loon, who is (or was, hard to tell from what I gathered in the internets) a Wolfsburg coach, formerly of Arsenal. He (van Loon) is/was visiting the Dallas Texans SC doing some sort of clinics for their club players and meeting with their coaches.

That is likely the basis for one of the other later tweets referencing the rumor of Lee connecting with Wolfsburg.

It would certainly be interesting to hear the dynamic of the tweet being pulled back. In retrospect, it had a "tampering"-ish kind of feel to it. It really read like Lee got a workout from Wolfsburg.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have just seen the tweet where Lee has returned to camp, so:

<Tinfoil hat on> Lee's return to camp comes the day right after a period of contact with Wolfsburg rep(s). Lee and his agent now have (at least preliminary) assurances from Wolfsburg of an offer; he now has another negotiating chip, no longer needs to rely on pure holdout play; Lee and agents will wield (indirectly, possibly directly) that interest from another club at less political and hard dollar cost to Lee than the holdout approach.<Tinfoil hat doffed.>

--------------------------------------------------------------
    Edit/update: Dallas Texans reported to be Lee's youth club, same as Dempsey's.
    819546625601392645 is not a valid tweet id

kennytt, MM66, dncm and 1 other person repped this.