News: And our new manager is...UNAI EMERY?!

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by AEAAFC96, May 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. AEAAFC96

AEAAFC96 Member+

Mar 27, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like Unai had an A+ performance at the news conference.

Let's hope he can whip them into shape.

2. lynesjc

lynesjc Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jun 21, 2001
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Cautiously optimistic, I think Emery is a competent manager.

Edit: I'm still on board with the narrative that the larger issues at the club are with the ownership and their lack of sporting ambition.

Super Llama, DutchCane and AEAAFC96 repped this.
  3. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #103 NorthBank, May 23, 2018
    Last edited: May 23, 2018
    Amy Lawrence put out there in the latest Arsecast that if we're to have any optimism about Kroenke's ownership, then it's probably based on Josh not Stan. IOW, Josh may be his own man, and although mommy & daddy may still be the source of the money, perhaps they'll give Josh some free reign, allowing him to be more actively involved in management/decisions/changes/etc.

We shall see. The Josh era seems to be less than a year old at this point.

4. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Josh's time with the Nuggets was a disaster. We'll be ok as long as we hire well and ownership lets the club be self-sustaining.

5. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Barely. Significantly worse than Pochettino's first year with a translator.

6. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he was quite good.

7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just listening to the Gazidis/Emery dog & pony show right now, all 30 mins worth!
    https://www.arsenal.com/news/emerys-opening-statement-our-new-head-coach

It didn't take too long to get me to chuckle, when Ivan said (paraphrased): "everyone wants this job... we think this is the most attractive job in world football". OK, we all love this club, but LMAO!

As for his English, he did OK. And he was brave to do the whole thing in English, even if he had some questions translated via an earbud. So maybe he's not quite as fluent as Antonio Conte, but he's close, and at least he gets his words out a little faster. ;)

Hopefully his English will improve with a whole ton of on-the-job training! And he used no notes, something Gazidis didn't seem to be able to accomplish with his opening statement.

All that aside, Unai seems genuinely interested in being and succeeding at Arsenal. Vamos!

8. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    I'm not buyin' it. It's not hard to speak a foreign language if all you say is pablum. Let's try something else, here's a semi-random earlier comment on this board (from Rewind):

Can we imagine our Tony-Montana-lookalike explaining this to a player in English and the player understands it? It's gonna take some work.

9. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Something we have been missing for about 7 years now :D:D

Actually he is 100% correct on that if you are on the outside looking in with no internal knowledge of the club.
    Think about this if you were a potential candidate, you have job security, even moreso when compared to clubs like PSG or Real who churn managers.
    Quality players who are under performing meaning unless you have a 'mare there is a really good chance of getting better results next season out of the same playing group.
    Fans who turn up even through shit meaning you always have money coming in.

Really unless you are at the level where Bayern/Real/Barca/City are willing to throw a lot of cash for short term effort, the Arsenal job would be the best in football going around.

daedalus and maskito repped this.
  10. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Emery English is not worse than Guardiola ‘s German

Romfordray repped this.
  11. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting comparison. @The Jitty Slitter do you agree?

12. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. In the Internet Age there is massive knowledge about Arsenal, which even includes some knowledge of the inside workings. And certainly there is knowledge about our CEO, our owner, and our financial resources.

So no it's not the most attractive job in world football. In fact you yourself go on to list 4 teams that would be more attractive, and I'm sure there are another 4-8 teams... at least.

If you truly believe this, you should think about sending your resume to Ivan... he probably would probably be happy to share his Kool-Aid with you.

13. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Even in this internet age and all this knowledge there is tons no one knows. Last week Arteta was about to sign the contract and this week he isn't our manager. Should be enough evidence to know not to believe most of what you read. Which is why I said someone on the outside with no internal knowledge. That said, obviously managers have agents who have ways of getting information.

Those 4 teams I listed certainly are attractive propositions, but at the moment they aren't really available to anyone. If every manager in the world suddenly came out of contract and was free to move around, with the way Barca, Real, City and Munich are run there are probably 5 people tops who could take jobs there. Small talent pool.
    On top of that, we are easily the biggest club at the moment seeking a new manager. That does kinda make it the most sought after job because its actually available.

14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Point taken. But that's not how I read what Gazidis was saying. He didn't say "at the moment". He made it sound like our job is the most coveted in the world. But even if he did mean "at the moment", he basically admitted that they were quietly conducting their search in the Spring, up through May... certainly in April, and probably in March. And "at that moment" there would've been other big jobs on the market: Bayern, PSG, Napoli, Italy come to mind... maybe more.

15. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Unfortunately with all boards at all clubs, you just have to assume they are talking shit. I would hope the club started the manager hunt and was putting out feelers from last year when Wenger apparently wanted to step down. And he didn't say at the moment, and to be honest he shouldn't have said it at all. He should have said the Arsenal job is highly coveted world wide and looked like less than a cock. Trust me, I am as sketchy on the board as I was on Arsene and I am not completely confident they won't ******** this up and blame the new manager for their stupidity, so no way am I drinking the kool-aid.

Hyperbole is my favourite word when it comes to the boards, coaches and players of ANY of the sports I follow.

16. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    not sure how accurate the information in this video is but it's all i know of emery . . .

it looks like he has his deepest central midfielder stay deep to control play and help the defensive line. if xhaka plays that, it would negate some of the problem of his (lack of) footspeed and agility.

on the other hand, it looked like he played krychowiak at sevilla so it might be that we will actually get a defensive midfielder we (fans) have been asking for for the last few eons.

assuming no change in personnel, i think our current central defenders have enough mobility to slide out wide in the formation presented in the video so that is good.

17. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you know that Jim Jones actually had his followers at Jonestown drink Flavor-Aid? The Kool-Aid man demands an apology!

18. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    999631135637467138 is not a valid tweet id

daedalus, danielh, maskito and 1 other person repped this.
  19. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    I prefer believing the phrase has its roots in Tom Wolfe's "Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test"

20. Boondock

Boondock Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Emery will not stick around, despite being a fitting manager for for a club that lacks ambition (ie Emery is a mid level manager at a mid level club).

The only thing we can hope for is that he brings in a half decent player or two for the next manager.

21. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Personally I doubt this. Emery's track record has been one of career advancement, and for all the club's woes at the moment the only better jobs are the ones only on offer to the elite coaches. Seeing as current speculation is he isn't in that tier I'm not sure why he'd want to leave. And in order for Emery to warrant such adoration and money to move upward he'd have to bring success to Arsenal, in which case I won't mind as much and the club would be better positioned to find a replacement.

But that's just me.

daedalus repped this.
  22. Boondock

Boondock Member

Jul 21, 2010
    I'm sure Emery would love to stay at Arsenal forever. He would also be right to think that there aren't any other jobs at elite clubs. However, after he fails to improve the team to any significant degree, he will be sacked.

23. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then he dropped krychowiak in favor of rabiot at psg... which was a massive mistake because psg needed more of a destroyer in midfield ...

daedalus repped this.
  24. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    The same Krychowiak that averaged 1.5 tackles and 1.7 interceptions for West Brom last season? Rabiot is a much more complete player and when coupled with Verrati more than makes up for any "steel" that Krychowiak would provide.

25. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    West Brom completely mismanaged him.....

PSG did not need Rabiot to venture forward - they needed organization and ballwinning...