And now where do you stand?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by NorthBank, Apr 4, 2017.

?

As The Clash so famously asked...

Poll closed Jul 4, 2017.
  1. Should I STAY?

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  2. Or should I GO?

26 vote(s)
    81.3%
  1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As a slightly scientific experiment in both how we feel and how many of us are left here at BigSoccer, I thought we could use an update on the previous polls.

For historical reference...

The original poll by @antifan ran AUG-SEP 2013
    Results: 81 votes, 64.2% OUT, 35.8% in
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/where-do-you-stand.1992569/

The second poll by @thebigman ran SEP2015-Present
    Results: 59 votes, 57.6% OUT, 42.4% in
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/where-do-you-stand-2-years-on.2025083/

2. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If you vote stay, please explain why. If you vote go, please try to present a take that we haven't heard?

darcgun repped this.
  3. AEAAFC96

AEAAFC96 Member+

Mar 27, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Simple and to the point: It's time.

His tactics and his dealings in the transfer market are the actions of a man who wants to do things by his rules and, when people outthink/outbid him, acts like you stole his dog.

To put it another way: Arsene Wenger is the poster child for Albert Einstein's definition of insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.

chjoak repped this.
  4. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    "a take that we haven't heard?" ;)

5. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Lmao 100%

6. Fifty

Fifty Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The biggest statistical finding is how the response numbers are dropping. It ain't novel but fan apathy is why he needs to go. I've started following another team (non EPL) as have many others or just stopped following soccer.

cantona94 repped this.
  7. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Repeating it doesn't make it any more intelligent than the first time.

8. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He needs to go. I can pinpoint when I thought that, we lost to man U in 2014 2-1, and it wasthe ssame shit as before, and since. Bad tactics, missing chances, shit defending, no progression. Bad transfers, injuries (always soft tissue too).

Nothing really has changed. I don't see why anybody can support him, it's based on sentiment,not his actual skills. Even ********ing Gary Neville, a Man U legend with no connection to Arsenal, says that he should stay and based on sentiment.

I have NO confidence he will or can change his ways, since he should have by now.

This isn't a "unique" standpoint, but a different standpoint is hard to make, not when one is seeing the same shit all the time.

9. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A different take, eh?

How about, "They all need to go!"

Kroenke, Gazidis, Sir Chips, Wenger, our coddled, fantasyland "soft tissue" players, Shad "all hype" Forsythe, the team chef, the website content team, and gunnersaurus can all GTFO!!

Man, that felt GOOOOOOODDDDD! :thumbsup:

10. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Is the bit about soft tissue really true? It does seem like the short term injuries have gotten better over the last three seasons, outside of the usual suspects (Ramsey, Ox, Theo).

11. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Sofort raus

849549975776362497 is not a valid tweet id

Last season Arsenal were the best team on the data and probably should have won the league.

Yes there was bad luck but it is hard to find excuses when Leicester managed to win it. As usual wenger was failing on the margins.

This season Arsenal have turned into Moyes Man Utd

This is a poor team.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  12. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Moyes Man United is harsh. Ever since the Emirates move, Wenger's squad building has tended to a points/pound maximization strategy, but it ran into the one flaw this season: what happens if there are 4-5 really good teams?

Agree that this isn't a good team, but the "why" is a more interesting question. I think it's the lack of a functioning midfield, but that's also coupled with Monreal getting older, Bellerin regressing, and Mustafi having pretty severe growing pains.

13. AEAAFC96

AEAAFC96 Member+

Mar 27, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leicester winning the title was the most damning indictment of Wenger and his way of doing things. All of Arsenal's title rivals for the past 10-15 years suffered downturns in form, Arsenal were the only team(?) that got results in both fixtures against Leicester.

Yet they didn't win because teams that had no business beating them or getting a point off of Arsenal did so. And (as it's happened year after year after mind-numbing year) whenever say, a Southampton led by Koeman figure a way to keep Arsenal at bay, Wenger gets upset. Not because Southampton got a result, but the tactics Koeman used were not what Wenger saw coming. That's the response of a poor coach and frankly, a coach that should no longer be in that position.

cantona94 and NorthBank repped this.
  14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I posited that in a post about Shad in the Random Shizzle thread. But nobody responded.

15. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As of right now it's 14 votes and 93% Out. On one hand I thought it might be more like 70%, given what I've heard in the media. On the other hand, with #WengerOut signs showing up in strange places all over the world, that implies that 90% might be for real.

But I was looking for a larger sample size... like 50-60 votes. Come on folks I know there are more of you out there on BigSoccer! Even in 2017.

CAST A VOTE?!

16. AEAAFC96

AEAAFC96 Member+

Mar 27, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well...at least I can manage Arsenal to global supremacy in FIFA.

17. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't understand why you remade this thread. Most opinions are known about Wenger on here. We had a thread in the past where this question was asked. There is a 490 post thread dedicated to that. I feel that is where the convo is taking place.

Super Llama repped this.
  18. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Umm, who voted stay, and why (assuming it's not pook)?

19. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pook, haha. I dunno who voted stay, but it shows they probably have convictions and loyalty... not bad things. Frankly I'm surprised only 1 person has. But I'm not surprised that they wouldn't admit it... it would be understandable for them to feel they might be ganged up on and ridiculed. Which is why I made the poll private. And if we don't get 3 points at Selhurst Park, get ready for a big bump in votes. ;)

20. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    This. My first visit here in weeks. Didn't even watch the west ham game and have it on dvr. Surely the club will start to see the apathy showing up in web traffic, merch sales, etc.

Even if a galaticos strategy isn't the best for on the pitch, there is a reason it works for the bottom line. Fans love the excitement of something new, even if it ends in tears 7 months later:

The prem is no longer about top four prestige. Stoke and Bournemouth can attract and pay top talent. The prem is more like MLB now where's you will have your perennial favorites due to payrolls, the odd dynasty, and the occasional upstart.

Unlike 5 years ago where consistency was rewarded, sticking with a regime offers no benefit. AW has negligible chance of winning anything serious--everyone can see that. He will start his 4th rebuild since the invincibles next season--each one more costly and less effective than its predecessor imho.

Time for change--any change tbh. I'm bored as shit.

21. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    I am voting go. Simply put, all coaches have a use by date at any given club in any given league. This can be due to a variety of reasons, I believe that Wenger has gone stale and needs a new challenge. He could still be great, just not at Arsenal, where a shake up is needed to reinvigorate the attitude of the players and the culture of the club.
    The longer he stays around, the further he will tarnish he legacy in the short term with supporters. If he leaves at the end of this season, in 2 years time he will be remembered very fondly. But if we have 3 more seasons of this, then it will take longer because 3 more season of this will see our best players leave and Arsenal competing for 6th place trophy and a spot in the Europa League.

thebigman and NorthBank repped this.
  22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good post.

The only thing I disagree with is that it will take three years, or two years or even one year. If he stays, I think it may only be a matter of months until there is a clear mutiny by fans and players alike. And at that point, even Silent Stan would be prompted to abandon his ultimate loyalty.

23. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    wasn't me. if I were to vote, though, it would be 'stay'. I'm assuming that no explanation as to why is necessary.

Fifty repped this.
  24. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Yeah this. I don't think Wenger was a good manager five years ago but he at least had some aura of the guy in the Dos Equis commercials. Now he doesn't. The results of last season and this season to date have changed all that. We have the squad to be competitive. We just don't have the manager, or the results. Before Wenger was mysterious and incompetent. Now he's just boring and incompetent. Enough.

25. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Yeah. I don't think we're too far away from that now in fact. If Wenger does stay, it looks as though our squad will be significantly weaker than it is now, but the manager will be just as poor. It's hard to sell a situation without any legitimate hope.

Paul Simon explained that there's 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover, and I figure there's gotta be at least that many ways to dump Wenger.