News: And here's your 2012 USL Pro Schedule

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by kenntomasch, Jan 11, 2012.

1. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    11 teams, FCNY is gone. 24 games per team. Single table.

Discuss.

http://uslpro.uslsoccer.com/scripts/runisa.dll?M2:gp::72013+L3/Display+E+NDX+NDX+589973

2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of Pittsburgh's games are apparently scheduled at Chartiers Valley High School, for what that's worth.

3. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Gotta love the single table, although it's a little tricky since the schedules aren't completely balanced (which is understandable considering travel costs). I'll comment directly on the City Islanders in the thread dedicated to them, but it's really nice to see a single table, FCNY's demise is no big loss, hopefully Dayton gets their act together on the pitch. If we did the single table last season, LA and Pittsburgh would've missed the playoffs, should be interesting to see what transpires.

4. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    They're being realistic, construction won't even begin until March or April, maybe they can inaugurate the new stadium at the end of the season, but they are smart to have a contingency plan.

5. Mikeyratt

Mikeyratt Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Richmond, Va
    thats a left over. all of Daytons are still at Miami Valley. Last year for the first few hours the USL had PR United playing in New Jersey. #gotta_love_interns

I like the single table..

Richmond opening with Charleston, @ Charleston, Orlando, @Orlando is.. difficult, nigh on insane

6. Mikeyratt

Mikeyratt Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Richmond, Va
    on a quick glance it looks liek everybody comes to Richmond, but we don't go to LA. and we finish with 2 in Antigua. yeah Mon.

7. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The lucky ones who get to go to LA: Rochester, Wilmington, Dayton, Orlando, Antigua and Harrisburg. Two games each.

Pittsburgh, Charlotte, Orlando, Charleston, Los Angeles and Richmond go to Antigua. Only Orlando goes to both LA and Antigua.

And Charlotte has a home game with a location TBA and one at Winthrop, which I think they have done in the past as well.

8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other tidbits:

61 Saturday games
    40 Friday games
    12 Sunday games
    9 Thursday games
    8 Wednesday games
    3 Tuesday games

Two games on Independence Day (in Dayton and Rochester).

Harrisburg returns to Orlando (rematch of the final) on June 22. Charlotte and Charleston play July 6 in Charleston and April 17 and July 7 in Charlotte.

Pittsburgh has four home games from July 20 to August 10. If they're going to get into their new digs, there are three Friday night games in that span, perhaps by design.

9. Mikeyratt

Mikeyratt Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Richmond, Va
    Jun 16 Ric @ Charlotte 8:00pm.. TV game?

10. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't do TV from Charlotte, I'm told. Lights aren't good enough.

Can't do TV from Antigua because you can't get an actual TV truck there. And I was told you can't get one of our trucks onto City Island because the bridge to get there can't handle the weight of one of the production trucks. I don't know that it's true, but that's what I was told by people who do that sort of thing.

11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IF I were drawing up a TV schedule, based on this schedule (assuming you didn't move a game for TV), which I'm not because I have no power in this and don't know what the loss of MLS means for anything Fox will do this summer with regards to soccer, I'd do this:

6/15: Richmond at Wilmington (nice rivalry)
    6/22: Harrisburg at Orlando (rematch of final)
    6/30: Los Angeles at Wilmington
    7/06: Charlotte at Charleston (nice rivalry)
    7/14: Rochester at Orlando
    7/20: Harrisburg at Pittsburgh (first game at new stadium?)
    7/27: Los Angeles at Rochester
    8/03: Wilmington at Charleston (nice rivalry)
    8/11: Antigua at Los Angeles
    8/17: Dayton at Orlando

12. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could've sworn they did at least one Fox Soccer game in Antigua last year.

13. Mikeyratt

Mikeyratt Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Richmond, Va
    No place on City Island for a truck really. I remember a couple years ago the Kickers bus almost got rammed by a 1/2 scale steam engine while the team was unloading. It's a very very compact area

14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Noop. I'd have noticed.

Antigua at New York, did that. There were Antiguans in attendance at the New York game. Maybe that's the game you're thinking of.

15. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    In looking at Harrisburg's schedule, I noticed that their match at Rochester on Saturday, June 30 is listed as TBA, could that because of TV?

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could be any one of a number of reasons. I don't know how long it will be until the TV schedule is finalized, but games were moved a bit (time-wise) last year between schedule release and TV schedule release. Rochester may have some other reason for not finalizing that game time yet.

17. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Dayton said they are moving to West Carrollton but schedule says Miami Valley South Stadium still (Bellbrook High School). West Carrollton's stadium is bad both soccer and football is played on the field so it gets pretty torn up. I think Dayton talked about putting in turf but who knows if and when that will happen.

18. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Is the FSC - USL deal still on ?

19. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Yes. It is on year two of a three year contract.

20. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    strange, because I have FSC on my cable now, and they never broadcast USL games

21. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Last year FSC didn't start airing the USL games until June 11th. They aired just 10 regular season games and one game from each round of the playoffs and the championship game. Plus the USL Breakaway show every month.

And yes, the USL and its clubs pay FSC for this.

brentgoulet repped this.
  22. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As of last year, the clubs had no financial responsibility for the FSC telecasts. That was a change from the original years of the deal.

23. ComeOnYouSpurs198

Jan 1, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I just want to say that USL scheduling, while justified, is poor. I'm actually jealous of NASL teams for not having any back-to-backs or two games in three nights.

24. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The USL Pro season, while (four games) shorter, has only 135 days from start to finish, while the NASL's has 169. And their teams are a bit more spread out, there aren't any real close Charlotte/Charleston back-to-backs (or Seattle/Portland - Seattle/Vancouver back-to-backs like there used to be).

Tampa Bay has a Thursday/Sunday Minnesota-Edmonton combo. San Antonio has a Wednesday/Saturday couplet of those same two teams as well as a Wednesday/Saturday Puerto Rico-Ft. Lauderdale. Puerto Rico has a Sunday/Wednesday Minnesota-Edmonton and a Saturday/Tuesday Ft. Lauderdale-Minnesota (!). Fort Lauderdale has a Wednesday/Saturday Minnesota-San Antonio trip, while Edmonton had a Saturday/Wednesday Tampa Bay-Puerto Rico trip and has a Wednesday/Saturday San Antonio-Puerto Rico junket. Carolina had a Wednesday/Saturday Tampa Bay-Puerto Rico combo and finishes Wednesday-Sunday-Wednesday at Edmonton, San Antonio and Tampa Bay. And Atlanta has a Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday San Antonio-Carolina-Minnesota trio, but will likely come home between at least two of those games.

Back to backs are the nature of the beast, unfortunately, and always have been. I think they lend themselves to bad soccer and open players up for injury, but you've got a finite number of Friday/Saturday/Sunday dates and everybody wants them, so you have to play and you have to do cost-effective travel. It's unfortunate, but it is what it is.

25. ComeOnYouSpurs198

Jan 1, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Yeah most of that qualifies as "justified", but as you said it makes me crappy soccer and makes players more injury prone. Oh well. I guess it just is. But that doesn't mean I can't complain about it.