American trialist at Werder Bremen?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Reposting from the catchall thread, originally posted by Worum.org:

[​IMG]

There are a few other pictures in this gallery:

http://www.weser-kurier.de/Bilder/Werder/246154/Das+Werder-Training+am+Dienstag.html

Anyone recognize the guy? Presumably it would be someone not currently in college, but I suppose anything's possible.

2. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    whoever he is, he's not an American youth international

3. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CAP HIM NOW!!! Wait . . . what's going on here???

;)

4. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Here's a Werder Bremen fan forum:

http://forum.werder.de/

Perhaps someone who understands German could give it a quick look for any pertinent info.

5. sacpasse87

sacpasse87 Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Beijing
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    please be a left back, cb, lw, a proper #10, or out and out striker, anything but a bloody holding midfielder :p ....

6. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for the kid but I was hoping it was going to be Jay DeMerit. I know the rumored German interest has been for Wolfsburg but I was hoping it was Bremen bringing him in for a trial. Oh well! Nonetheless, I'm certainly interested in knowing who this kid is.

7. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only player I can think of that could be a "Frankie" is Francisco Navas Cobo of Houston who could be on a training stint. But this guy in the picture appears to have more of an African-American heritage than Cobo's Hispanic roots.

8. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Thats not Cobo

9. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saying, but Fabian Johnson is a 22 year old American defender at Wolfsburg. He vaguely resembles that guy, and hasnt played much for the first team since transferring in 2009 from 1860 Munich.

[​IMG]

10. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know that. That's why I mentioned the looks based on the appearance of ethnicity. I just threw out a possibility based on "Frankie".

11. CenterLine

CenterLine Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goalkeeper?:D

12. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would hate to see a keeper in the position that is shown in the pic on the 1st page...lol.

13. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Google some German soccer terms ... forget Frank or Frankie, as it could be just a nickname.

With "werder bremen Probetraining amerikanische US-boy", I got nothing except some old Donovan, Clark and Beasley bits.

And some hockey and basketball.

14. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I would find it odd that a player of the pedigree of Fabian Johnson needs to "trial" at other Bundesliga clubs.

15. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Where's Lascho when you need him?

16. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't find anything either. Bremen's first team, however, was down to 9 players at one point during the international break. This led to Thomas Schaaf putting on his cleats for a few sessions. In the fan forum somebody did ask why more of the u23 players weren't brought in, but no mention of a guest or trialist.

17. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just did another search and found him ...sort of.

From http://www.weser-kurier.de/Artikel/...nd+Silvestre+kehren+ins+Training+zurueck.html

From out of nowhere a young man with curly head of hair was noticed. It was a US-American, who stopped by this week actually to trial with Werder II.
    That's not out of the ordinary, but it is out of the ordinary for him to immediately train with the pros/first team, which was dealing with a lack of bodies. But Schaaf brushed off the question about the potential of the player: "We have let him take part today - nothing more."

So, for whatever reason, his named wasn't mentioned in the article but we do know that a young American is trialing with the Werder II.

18. Worum.org

Worum.org New Member

May 14, 2009
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    ..and currently with the first team. And its not Fabian Johnson or someone who already played in Germany since he doesnt speak any German at all. However, he might have a European passport along with US citizenship since we can only play EU players in the 2nd team where he was scheduled to try out.

19. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I found this thread about the training, where they discuss the same question starting here:
    http://forum.werder.de/showthread.php?p=1342649#post1342649

Nothing there worth translating... basically the same questions raised in this thread, though one of them said he would ask about him today at training, so maybe there will be some more info about him tonight...

20. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Looks pretty tall (even accounting for the afro):

[​IMG]

21. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the other thread where they are discussing him, starting here:
    http://www.worum.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=278&start=960

Also there, nothing but speculation. The user "MaxUnknown" promised to find out the name on Wednesday, but forgot. He said whoever it is is still training there. Presumably, the 2 threads I found will be the first ones with the answer, since those are fans who regularly go to training sessions.

22. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Here, but I think my German isn't that much better than Hobo's or orcrist's, and there isn't any information available.

23. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    There's Francklin Blaise, who has been part of past U20 and U18 pools... But he's currently a Jr. at Clemson and it looks like he's been in every game this season. Plus I just don't think it's him.

24. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the longest I have ever seen a trialist without a name. Usually you guys are all over this.

25. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I've been sent an interesting suggestion -- can't confirm or verify, but it's a pretty good one: Francisco Javier Lopez Campa, an '88 who spent last season with Jaguares in Mexico but I think is currently MIA.

Previously played with Portland U. and the Timbers U23s.

[​IMG]

Portland listed him as 5' 10".

http://www.portlandpilots.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1337&path=msoc