American trialist at Queen of the South?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Various fansites say an American trialist played with QOTS in a recent friendly. He may even have done well enough to have earned a deal, which either means he 1) qualifies for a work permit somehow or 2) is about to be disappointed.

No idea who he is; still looking.

QOTS appears to be a newly promoted club in the Scottish second division.

EDIT: I believe the match in question was a July game against Hearts. Two trialists featured in that one, a GK and a field player.

Queen of the South: Trialist, Mitchell (Orsi 70), Holt (McShane 70), Trialist, Dowie (Russell 60), Higgins (Slattery 70), McKenna McGuffie 60), Burns (Young 60), Lyle (Reilly 60), Paton (Durnan 60), Carmichael.​

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...goals-this-time-as-hearts-hold-firm-1-3009251

2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Amusingly, the club's web site saw fit to write an item about Eva Mendes back in 2010 when she was set to perform in a movie called "Queen of the South," which has yet to be released.

They helpfully note:

As an American born to Cuban parents, an allegiance for Ms Mendes to Queen of the South FC would be optimistic in even being described as unlikely. However should she ever join the list of Hollywood stars to be in or around the Dumfries area, old friend of QoS FC, Robert Duvall, can of course be relied upon to provide her with a reference that she can expect a warm welcome at Palmerston Park.​

http://www.qosfc.com/new_newsview.aspx?newsid=277

As a reader service, I submitted myself to a Google image search on "Eva Mendes soccer" just to be sure there was nothing more to the story.

3. fightingswans

fightingswans Member

May 31, 2007
    vermont
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    One fansite has identified him as Dartmouth captain Kevin Dzierzawski Based on a photo posted of the trialist, I have to agree. I seem to remember a couple of years ago that a Dartmouth keeper trialed with a lower division Scottish side (Greenock Morton, maybe?). Dartmouth has a whole new coaching staff, however, but the link could still exist. Dzierzawski is from Michigan but with a name like that you have to think there's some WP-enabling ancestry.

The most recent, totally speculative update on that fansite about the trialist that they are reasonably confident that they have sort of identified was that he's back in US "sorting out" visa issues.

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  4. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    #10 Kevin Dzierzawski
    Position: Midfielder
    Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 160
    Year: Senior
    Hometown: Oakland Twp., Mich.
    High School: Brother Rice

Mystery player #4:
    [​IMG]

7/26:
    "....Antell is not the only player Queens have been keeping an eye on with the mystery number four from Saturday’s exciting draw with Hearts unmasked as American Kevin Dzierzawski.
    The Dartmouth College soccer star from Oakland has been in the country looking for a deal. He has not been training with the club this week...."
    http://www.dgstandard.co.uk/dumfrie...eeper-with-five-days-to-spare-51311-33655774/

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  5. The Doonhamer

The Doonhamer New Member

Aug 19, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Geetings from Scotland!

Kevin has obtained his work permit and is waiting for international clearance.

http://www.qosfc.com/new_newsview.aspx?newsid=1932

He was very impressive in his trial game against Heart of Midlothian and we have high hopes for him doing well.

How do US College players do moving straight into a professional league? He will be playing in the Scottish Championship which is the second tier of Scottish Professional Football.

Testudo repped this.
  6. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    SKY Sports News reports confirm that he's secured a work permit

7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Unfortunately, the range of "US College players" is so broad it's impossible to say. What's more, there isn't a load of history of American players going straight from college to Scotland, particularly the second division. He does appear to have played for a solid team in a competitive division and been one of the team's better players, so doesn't seem out of the question that he could be a useful addition to your squad.

I also notice that he played in every game as a freshman, which is not entirely normal in D1 soccer and is a good sign. I don't get the sense he was seen as an MLS prospect, but lots of good players aren't quite there straight out of college. I'm sure you'd prefer a more specific scouting report and perhaps somebody like @JoeSoccerFan or @Sandon Mibut might have seen him personally.

8. SoccerJunkie1991

SoccerJunkie1991 New Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC

9. SoccerJunkie1991

SoccerJunkie1991 New Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    I heard he was not coming back to Dartmouth. Dzierzawski is a very gifted player! He was up for the MLS combine last year but did not pursue because he decided to return for his senior year and certainly would have been a high MLS pick this year but it looks like he choose to pursue the European route. He trained with the LA Galaxy as a sophomore and I know has spent some time in Scotland training with St. Johnstone a few summers back. The kid is a great play maker, great soccer smarts and can be very physical. Queens will like his play.

10. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fightingswans repped this.
  11. fightingswans

fightingswans Member

May 31, 2007
    vermont
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Started his first game over the weekend in a 1-0 road win over Greenock Morton. Only one mention in the club's match report in that he a good long-range effort that force a good save from Greenock's keeper. They visit Edinburgh today to take on Hearts in the League Cup.

12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Feature:

Inhospitable weather, and fervent, if not unforgiving, fans all conspire against outsiders trying to make the climb in lower rung of the Britain’s less glamorous circuits.

Then there’s the language barrier. The Scots technically speak English, but deciphering the spoken version leaves a lot of hunched shoulders and scrunched faces of utter puzzlement.

“The Peterhead kitman (equipment manager) ... he’s a great guy but he’s impossible to understand.” Dzierzawski said. “There is no way he can be speaking English sometimes.”
    http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...grad-fulfills-soccer-dream-scotland/84883622/

13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One other interesting point from the article... he obtained an actual work permit, directly from the FA, rather than the presumed more likely EU passport based on ancestry.

14. miggly

miggly Member

Jan 25, 2000
    NYC
  15. DC_Dave

DC_Dave Member+

DC United
    United States
    May 16, 2017
    Kevin Dzierzawski has been released by Scotland's Peterhead - that's a shame

16. fightingswans

fightingswans Member

May 31, 2007
    vermont
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Eighteen Alpha and Winoman repped this.