American Sports thread

Discussion in 'Brazil NSR' started by Mengão86, May 22, 2015.

1. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends on if McCarthy tries to make Hundley play like Rodgers or if he adjusts his offense to shorter passes, some read options, and dumbs things down. Judging by his history, McCarthy will opt for the former and manage to scuff his way to 7 or 8 wins this season.

2. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Problem might be more having a center to be under...

3. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

SMH. Idiots like these just look at the numbers and think he's operating at a high level. Besides the few deep shots he took and missed poorly on, he missed wide open WRs underneath yesterday and he had a clean pocket for most of the day. He's still not feeding Crowder, JReed, Doctson or Pryor. And yet again, YAC is inflating his numbers with Chris Thompson dumpoffs and Vernon Davis with a big YAC gainer.

upload_2017-10-16_11-22-51.png

140/330 yards came to RBs. 42%.
    And VD's 51 yarder which was mostly YAC....15% of his total yardage for the day.

Those two things above accounted for 58% of his yardage total. That leaves 139 yards by Kirk.16/28, 139.

4. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’d take him over guys like Cutler, Bortles, etc, but he’s really like the 15th-20th best quarterback in the league. I realize Pryor and Crowder haven’t exactly been consistent, and the run game is hit or miss, but you can’t really say Cousins is the one who is elevating his game. It’s really been practically all Thompson.

5. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    In other words, not good enough to break the bank for and hurt the ability to add quality pieces to the team due to the high salary he would be receiving. I don't trust Bruce Allen and the revamped scouting department to find gems in the draft to fill out the roster since Kirk isn't good enough to elevate anyone's play.

6. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Ok, saying he struggled is a bit much. But credit to the publication for not reading stat lines and thinking he had a good day.

LOL!! Someone called him out finally.

7. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Missing routine throws...

Pryor's fault, Grant?

8. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well then you can’t possibly have trust that they will be able to actually identify and select a future quarterback, either. So you’re screwed.

9. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You'd think so, but there's much more to it than drafting the right guy. I like the odds of finding someone than finding 52 out of 53.

10. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m a chargers fan who’s kind of in the same boat with rivers. Once you know he’s never going to win a super bowl for you, you may as well move on

11. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You guys gave up on Brees too soon and his injury basically made the decision easier. But there's an example of finding the right guy and not even knowing it. Most cases aren't like Brees though, and the career of the player is already ruined by the type of situation they are brought into.

I think Rivers was a good enough QB to win a Super Bowl, but the Chargers wasted their window and after that window closed, didn't do a good enough job drafting to give Phillip another shot. Paying Kirk would require the Redskins to do an even better job drafting than San Diego would have with Rivers.

12. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brees was kind of a special case. He was horrible his first 2 years so they drafted Rivers after the second year. Then he flipped the switch. But when he got hurt there wasn’t exactly a long history of QBs coming back to full strength from a torn labrum. Obviously it was a mistake to let him go in hindsight.

I’ve always loved Rivers, but he has been mediocre at best the last 2-3 years. Even when he was having his best years, almost all of his completions were to Gates, LT, Woodhead, and Sproles. Vincent Jackson never even had 70 receptions for them. He’s never had an ability to throw wide. Allen has had a good chemistry with him, but that’s because he’s always been able to catch those passes that were under or overthrown. He’s not catching those this year and Rivers is still forcing the ball to him.

I actually think Rivers and Cousins are similar in a way. Guys like Brady, Manning, Rodgers, etc can hit guys in stride 10+ yards down the field consistently. Guys like Rivers and Cousins can do that sometimes, but sometimes the ball is just a little off and a tough catch. I think the difference is Rivers would love to be a ball control QB if he had a good running game and defense, but he doesn’t. I don’t think Cousins is that guy, but I think that would he the only way they win with him. Personally, I wouldn’t pay him either.

13. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Edit: of course they didn’t draft Rivers. We know that whole story haha

14. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #6339 MatthausSammer, Oct 20, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    I'm not sure why I decided to watch the Lakers over TNF. I don't ask for much from the Lakers; all I want is non-terrible basketball wherein I don't want to stab out my eyes with a fork. The Lakers are not currently cooperating with this request. They continually do ridiculously stupid crap like help one pass away. Meanwhile D'Angelo Russell scores 30 points in his Brooklyn debut. :(

15. Harambe Alvinegro

Feb 13, 2017
    The highlands between DRC and Rwanda
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Not to rub it in but it was probably the best game of the whole season and probably the best game in tnf history.

16. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  17. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think this Iggles-Skins game tonight is going to be an ugly one for us Skins fans. Josh Norman is out and Jonathan Allen is as well. Breeland might be out as well, which may not seem to be a big deal on paper, but then when you see the inexperience behind him, you'll see it will hurt. We did an excellent job shutting down their run game in Week 1, but I don't see it happening tonight. We have struggled against QBs who can escape pressure and create off schedule, and Wentz has to be salivating at the prospect of that with a revamped secondary.

The offensive line took a lot of heat for the Week 1 performance. While it was their worst performance this season, that performance was overstated. Kirk was clearly flustered with the slightest bit of pressure. He held onto the ball too long in some instances and made erratic throws when he did get rid of it quick. Trent Williams basically admitted that he's going to play on a bum knee for the rest of the season. He needs reconstructive kneecap surgery, which is a 3-4 month recovery. There's little chance to make the injury worse, but his pain tolerance will be tested. For us to have any sort of chance, we need Scherff to neutralize Cox whenever he's assigned to him. I bet we see a lot of screens like we have been and Kirk is going to have to take some shots in this game. Crowder and Reed need touches, and they need to feed them the ball early. I don't see us having success running the football. If we can find success in the short passing game, that should open some shots downfield, which hopefully Kirk takes. He has struggled when he has gone deep.

18. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t know... everything you said makes a lot of sense, but these division games have a way of turning upside down. Plus, the Eagles are not as good as their record and their secondary can be exposed

19. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

News flash, Grant. His record vs winning teams still sucks.

20. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Sure, there are things that give us a chance, but I don't like how the odds are stacked at this given time.

Congrats on the win vs the Broncos, by the way.

21. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. Bosa and Ingram were fantastic, but Siemian is really, really bad.

22. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Kirk with a horrible throw to Reed and then failed to step up in the pocket in the following play. SMH.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  23. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Is it just me or is the NFL really difficult to get a handle on so far? We're 7 weeks in and almost half the teams exist in this purgatory where I have no idea who's good and who isn't.

24. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It's probably been my worst year in a while in making outright picks.

25. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Thoughts on last night's game:
    • It went basically how I thought it would go. The only surprise was that we played the run better than I thought we would with our injuries.
    • It was nice for all the Kirk fans to see a real franchise QB in action. A QB that can carry a team on his back to victory. A QB that elevates the play of those around him. Not a stat sheet filler who normally fills the stat line with fluff. He had fluff last night with the last two TD drives when Philly basically had their foot on our throat.
    • On Kirk: I'm not going to say he was horrible last night and the pick was not his fault. However, I won't say he was good either. He was average -- didn't lose the game nor did he win it. Wentz made several calls at the LOS that were successful where as Kirk didn't do a damn thing. Kirk still can't manipulate a pocket when there's any sort of pressure. He had opportunities to step up and did not. Here's what REALLY bugged me about Kirk last night. We were up 10-3 and had momentum heading in the second quarter. He had TWO drives to put up some more points. What are the Kirk supporters doing today? Blaming the defense for being out on the field too long and not giving the offense a chance. How about the offense (and Kirk) not giving the defense a chance and allowing Philadelphia to wear them out when the defense is the unit that needs help? Here's the sequence after we scored our TD to go up 10-3.
    upload_2017-10-24_8-58-7.png
    upload_2017-10-24_8-59-1.png

Two straight 3 and outs. Forget about putting points on the Eagles. How about possess the ball longer so the defense doesn't have to chase Wentz around and get gassed? I'm not going to place all of the blame on Kirk for those 3 and outs (see my next bullet point), but did we see what a REAL franchise QB does on third down, nevermind TWO 3rd and SHORTS? Pathetic! On the first three and out, Kirk throws behind JReed and allows Malcolm Jenkins to make an easy play. If Kirk led Reed, he would have had a chance to convert for a first down. Philly ran a similar play in the red zone and Wentz led Ertz. What was the result? Ertz could make a play on DJ Swearinger and scored a TD.
    • Jay Gruden. He got outcoached, plain and simple. And I'm not talking about our defense vs their offense, either. I'm talking about the playcalling on offense, which is his responsibility this season, and time management. It lacked creativity and at times is very predictable. When Jay runs the ball, it's normally on first down. I think we run over 60% of the time on first down. Your QB has shown this year that he can't make plays with his arm on third down. The times he has converted is normally when he has scrambled. I've yet to see us do a QB draw on 3rd and short. The Iggles did it last night and converted. I didn't see any up tempo huddles to keep the Iggles from rotating their d-line. Pederson adjusted and did that to us when he saw our defense was wearing down and our offense couldn't possess the ball. And timekeeping? Jay always throws the towel early. He had a chance to take a safe shot before the end of the half.
    • Officiating was putrid last night for both teams. There was a ton of ticky tacky penalties called. There were a couple of egregious penalties that weren't even called. Scherff got shoved from behind way after the whistle. Monte Nicholson hit an Eagles play way out of a bounds. Ed Hochuli has shown that he can't officiate at a high level anymore.