American Sports thread

Discussion in 'Brazil NSR' started by Mengão86, May 22, 2015.

1. Harambe Alvinegro

Feb 13, 2017
    The highlands between DRC and Rwanda
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Plus the Chiefs giving away that first rounder next year. And I get the clishe line "muh qb lg" "you weren't in the interviews " or my favorite "it was up to them". But this pick will probably backfire. Chargers may get more wins next year , raiders got Carr , and Elway isn't going anywhere. Good luck KC.

2. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Norman ran a 4.66 40 in his combine drill. I've seen Tabor do a lot of baiting and quick closing on the ball to attack it really well. Of course that's college on a stacked Florida defence, and Norman's a rare player, but I do see a bit of potential upon second look.
    Kansas City would be a SB contender if they had a better QB than Alex Smith, and I think that was their thought process; trade up, grab Mahomes, sit him, have another purgatory year, then plug in Mahomes who will take more chances and push the ball further down the field than Smith for a potential run. Reid is probably aware of how limited Smith is and wanted a ball of clay to mould with real arm talent.
    Fair enough, and I'd agree, they reached for quite a few of "their guys" being quirky and unorthodox. Organizations can get away with that like the Patriots, but I don't think the Lions are on that level.

3. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You know that KC isn't going anywhere with Alex Smith at the helm. They needed to make a splashy move like this. Time will tell if it will work out.

4. Harambe Alvinegro

Feb 13, 2017
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #5829 Harambe Alvinegro, May 5, 2017
    Last edited: May 5, 2017
    Does anyone ever want to address how old that defense is ? I don't think Alex smith being shiit justifies giving away 2 first rd picks and another one for a qb that really isn't all that good. Why not wait until next year ? Why overpay all these old dudes on defense ? Also in the one and three technique and at inside lb they are vulnerable. Pittsburgh just slammed it down their throat at arrowhead. The Chiefs should just officially rebuild.

5. Harambe Alvinegro

Feb 13, 2017
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    There's a risk component with the patriots , the lions don't really take risks. They probably didn't take foster or Peppers cause they smoked weed. Haven't had a sideline to sideline player who bashed skulls and played wreckless since Delmas. These drafts explain why.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  6. Harambe Alvinegro

Feb 13, 2017
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    And I've always been annoyed with Alex smith but look at the Chiefs offensive play calling , tempo, game management , and clock management in their last two playoff eliminations. Big red Andy Reid is someone I really like but he owes some burden for these past two eliminations.

7. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I've heard good things about Chris Jones and Dee Ford, I don't watch enough KC with an eye specifically towards them to make that judgment but they invested picks in the defence to make it younger and establish heirs to the guys they currently have, and they invested more with Kpassagnon. Pittsburgh did slam it down their throat, but that's pretty uncharacteristic of them; they're still physical and they're still prepared to play. Why not wait until next year? Waiting until next year has always been Kansas City's MO and it's not helping them make the next step.
    I couldn't agree more.

8. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Right, Reid is someone I really like too and yeah he deserves blame, but the margin for error is made very thin when you're working with limited QBs.

9. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I found Mahomes pick odd as well. I agree that they overpaid for me. I trust Andy, though. But usually he's can turn some mid rounders into capable QBs in his system so I'm surprised he didn't try to go that route in this draft since there are some decent project QBs available.

Anyways, I'm thankful to the teams that reached for QB because that allowed Allen to drop to us.

10. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Grant was probably squeemish to hear this come from Scot's mouth. A few nuggets:

"His ceiling is where it's at right now," McCloughan told hosts Grant Paulsen and Danny Rouhier.

"Everyone says it’s the most important position on the field," McCloughan said. “I understand he touches the ball every snap, but it’s the guys around him. If you’re paying the quarterback, then you’re losing an offensive lineman, you’re going to lose the defensive lineman, you’re going to lose the corner. With the cap, you can’t afford it."

11. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That confirms what we all pretty much knew; McCloughan wasn't planning to move forward with Kirk long-term and it probably soured his relationship with Cousins and Bruce Allen, who likely set in motion a character-assassination to take advantage of the resulting turmoil and turn Snyder against Scot. The Redskins likely drafted with McCloughan's big board, which is why the draft looks nice. Next year will be Allen or whoever's taking control's first real year.

12. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It just pisses me off that we had a legitimate GM that had the balls to go against scared, conventional thinking and it ultimately costed his job. He lost his job because the media, a good portion of the fan base and Allen love a mediocre QB. Allen recently was on another radio show and admitted to not even considering drafting a QB this year. That's another telling sign.

13. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    @Harambe Alvinegro, you and Giff are much more optimistic than I when it comes to the Lions. I'm mentally prepared for a 6-10 season. I was surprised when you guys came out pretty high on the defensive line; I don't necesssarily see Ngata as particularly solid even anymore. The two guys who can crash into the backfield on this front are Ansah and Hyder, but I'm not sure there's anything else in the cupboard beyond that; maybe A'Shawn can eat up blockers to free them up and develop some kind of bullrush to constrict the pocket? I can agree with you on the LBs; Jarrad Davis will set the tone there, and I don't feel comfortable relying on a rookie to have to be immediately tossed into the fire to demonstrate both leadership qualities and quality play. But hopefully Whitehead will benefit from being moved outside where he'll have less responsibilities, because he was abject at ILB last year IMO. Maybe Reeves-Maybin can show something here to displace Worrilow, because i agree he sucks. I actually kind of like Nevin Lawson; he's physical, tackles well, and has decent if not great coverage skills. He can probably ensure when healthy that DJ Hayden doesn't see the field on the outside and Tabor will have to show something if he wants that 2nd corner job opposite Slay to displace Lawson.

I whoeheartedly agree the Lions should've addressed RB. I'm higher on Abdullah than you: I think he's decent, but a more balanced option that can complement him was an absolute necessity. Riddick is a WR operating out of the backfield, he's not a real RB, and Zenner/Asiata/Green are all pretty much career roster fodder guys. I want to like the Lions offence, particularly given that the OL might actually be a strength this year, but there's not enough explosiveness. I'm not sure what Golladay contributes, but he really needs to contribute something substantive toget this offence looking even close to complete. Argh... This team would look way better with a haul of Foster, Forreman, Kittle, McMillan in the draft. Such a missed opportunity.

14. Harambe Alvinegro

Feb 13, 2017
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well the more positivity is a little by design since we will be giving official record predictions later in the summer. I just can't be optimistic about teams like the bears. Secondly , you got a division where a teams head coach is literally going blind and it is a serious football issue , he has already lost game time and lost the defense at times last year. Then you got the bears and you already know this rant , they are the new browns imo. Then you got a star qb who has openly and publically spoken about the Packers organization and its cuckery for lack of a better phrase in the free agent market and just some really average drafts. Ty Montgomery is their starting rb.... so yea your bad at the rb position too but not that bad. And yes you had a bad draft and it's not a good indication but it doesn't change the rest of the turmoil in this division. Can we really trust the Vikings o line for instance or the packers defense ? About ngata , I hear you but not many can line up over a guard and win battles in the ground game without shooting a gap and taking themselves out of plays. Granted , he doesn't win as many battles as he did in Cincy but he stands his ground a lot , something that is rare in this lg, ask mengao and some of the interior d line play that he's had to deal with. I don't think we can ignore Hyders season last year either, dudes versatile and young. Glad you agree about the extra need of some "pop" on offense tho, wr or rb would have been great , although prolly best to avoid a wr this draft. I agree with you and giff but I have to see this Detroit o line play , should Be good

15. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I have never seen a team actively tank to try to lose games in the NFL. The Jets appear to be doing exactly that with their recent moves to cut or trade everything in sight. They must really love Darnold.

16. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  17. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  18. Harambe Alvinegro

Feb 13, 2017
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Idk , it doesn't seem like tanking to me. I think people are going overboard with it. Trying your best and overpaying for old players that aren't at their best isn't going to put a qb in their lap. People think the Browns were tanking last year. It's not the NBA.

19. Harambe Alvinegro

Feb 13, 2017
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    And I think Sheldon Richardsons statements on Brandon Marshall summed it up last week. The team will probably be more competitive and fight harder. NFL teams fight regardless, or you will be humiliated and beaten down.

20. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Maybe you're right. When I look at the Jets I see a bad and old roster that, frankly, outside of Wilkerson and Richardson, is bereft of playmakers and made little attempt to be better, even shedding decent role players like Decker. I feel like they probably had one of the worst drafts as well; Adams and Stewart were good picks, but I don't like anything else they did.

21. Harambe Alvinegro

Feb 13, 2017
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Agreed. I didn't like their draft at all. Keeping Todd Bowles can be considered ranking I guess lol.

22. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Can I just say I'm really fed up with this Kaepernick crap on all sides of the issue? It's tiresome and I wish someone would sign him so this can end. I fully respect his decision to kneel, and if he wants to talk about race that's his perogative. But this is a QB who was benched for Blaine effing Gabbert by two separate coaching staffs and wasn't even that good when he was playing in the Harbaugh golden age, just got protected by a monster roster and great coaching. When you aren't very good and you engender controversy, you leave yourself open to being out of a job in the NFL, frankly. And then you got people trying to make him into a martyr; look, at the end of the day, he's a millionaire who, if he plays his cards right financially, won't need a job for the rest of his life. He's not a martyr; he's a guy who underperformed and chose very poor timing to kick a hornet's nest (race) while he was underperforming, and is now paying the price for it.

23. Harambe Alvinegro

Feb 13, 2017
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #5848 Harambe Alvinegro, Jun 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    The media Is pushing it, then people just swallow it up and start hating each other. Ill let you make your own conclusion but a certain member of the ford family did quite a bit of thinking on the Media issue a long time ago .... and most people don't take sides on issues and get "fed" up... I use to be one of those guys but then I woke up and people were saying 18 genders was science... the people who yell the loudest and cry the most in America get their way. And your line of thinking would work if it was a different era. Everything is emotion and compassion first , logic and responsibility second, that's the reality. So the kaepernick thing is actually important. I know your young and I'm young , we aren't baby boomers on retirement pensions. These things actually matter.

24. Harambe Alvinegro

Feb 13, 2017
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    And the media can convince people of anything especially if it is divided on racial lines. I mean for 20 years blacks and Hispanics thought charter schools were racist because the media told them so, the data and the real life stories didn't matter. Republicans supported it and I can't stand them but the democrats rode that debate for the longest time. Hispanic and black kids didn't matter, the union donors who fund the Democratic Party and politicians mattered.

25. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's as you say; the media stirs up comtroversy for clicks and try to get everyone riled up over it. So then wouldn't the best thing to do be to not feed into this hyped-up row over nothing? Because at the end of the day, it's not even about Kaepernick, is it? It's about ideological and racial fault lines, and if we're going to have discussions aboutt that, I'd rather not pretend like it's about a mediocre QB. It's like when a couple spends an inordinate amount of time and energy fighting about something stupid when really it's about something bigger. It doesn't help.