American expansion possibilities

Discussion in 'NWSL Expansion' started by WPS_Movement, Dec 28, 2012.

1. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    LOL

2. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    I guess you can look at having say a big expansion target like Toronto join the league and then there would be a lot of pressure to get revenuse sharing sorted out. With Portland and Toronto drawing huge crowds and Toronto automatically bringing in a national TV rights deal in their end, a lot of the other teams would need have some help on their end and revenuse sharing would help.

Its not just any expansion target I am thinking off, its certain teams that would force a rebalancing of revenuse in the league.

3. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well, in an ideal world, yeah. But just because you have teams that are greatly in the black while others are still struggling doesn't naturally translate into a revenue sharing movement in practice. Besides, I'm sure it would scare away expansion if there was an expectation from other teams of "we expect you to do well at the gate and share with us".

4. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Do you have ANY indication that individual teams will be able to negotiate TV deals? The league lays claim to that.

5. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Most leagues allow teams to make local TV deals - MLS does, and I know WPS did. But I think the implication was that, with a Canadian team in the league, a Canadian TV deal of some sort would be made for NWSL in general.

6. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    It seems the ideal # of teams they want to expand with (as early as 2015) would be four teams at the same time.
    Incorporating expansion would be easier to do in one shot, instead of two and two (each year).
    This could be one of the reasons why they didn't want to go with two this year, and two the following year.
    Instead, all four in the same year. And there are more than four groups that have more than moderate interest.

7. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have more than moderate interest in Kate Beckinsale. That does not mean I can pull that move off.

And you would do 0-and-then-4 instead of 2-and-then-two if:
    1 ) Two weren't ready - this is not easy to do, you know?
    2 ) You didn't actually have four at the moment.

We have yet to prove there can be a pro women's league with more than eight teams. You had them going to 16 teams in a matter of minutes. Let's prove there can be 10 first before we worry about 12 and 14 and 16.

Incorporating expansion teams is not particularly easier in two-and-two or oh-and-four. In fact, having a third of your league being brand new (in a league where at least you have some continuity with some organizations who know what they're doing) much actually be counterproductive.

But, hey, fantasy. That's you.

8. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Especially since the USSF has already decided there will be no expansion next year.

9. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    .....none of the previous posts were suggesting there would be expansion next year. Why mention it?

10. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #110 Cliveworshipper, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013

Why mention it until there is some slight indication the league will expand?

Doesn't sound like any plan for expansion whatever to me.

11. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well, this is the expansion forum, there's going to be talk here no matter what. It should just be informed talk. Such as using the fact that Houston and FCI have expressed and continue to express interest.

Now, that is something you should've quoted in the first place, and should have said expansion as a whole instead of just next year. =-) You first post didn't really follow from the posts above it, since they had already discounted "next year".

12. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  13. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
  14. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Morgan's new role as NWSL ambassador/start up queen will require her two play two years with each new MSL backed expansion team. The trick will be making the deal that brings the bf on site ahead of expansion.

15. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    OK, on a serious note. Morgan's deal with Portland is up after this year and since Morgan gets the standard check from USSF, Portland cant even throw money at her to keep her. If she wants to go to Houston what would stop her?

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's FUNNY!

17. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Nike headquarters and her parking spot in Portland. Their owner isn't going for this.

18. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  19. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Except Dynamo are a MLS team (Sounders are just a W-League team licensing the MLS brand). They're sure to win on that alone. I'm actually now thinking the most likely future expansion might be through FC Dallas and Houston Dynamo.

20. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well yeah, Dynamo has much more punch than the "Sounders" did. But it's still two groups in the same city directly competing for an NWSL spot.

Which sucks for the Aces, having the big bad MLS team just swoop in out of nowhere and usurp the position they had been setting up.

21. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it may suck for the Aces, and they may be entitled to sympathy, but Portland is the model for success and joint ownership of an MLS and a NWSL team looks to be a good recipe. There are very good economies of scale. Success of the NWSL is the objective, right?

22. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nothing is final til Nike commissions the statue.

23. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    You know, I just remembered something: The Houston Dynamo are primarily owned by AEG... the same company that owns the Galaxy/owned the LA Sol. So letting the Dynamo in might not be the best thing.

24. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well, maybe.... It's Canetti that sounds like the interested party, not Anschultz. Also, AEG backed out of the Sol because they came in before WPS started saying they were only in for one season, while this would be more of a commitment just from the nature of the investment - the Dyanmo are trying to establish a sister club, not simply get one off the ground. I still would prefer the Aces, at least at this point.
    As a side-note, the reason the Sol weren't saved (aside from AEG backing out like they initially said they would) was that the Sol were the most expensive WPS team - which puts them not just above NWSL budgets but way above. Someone who backed out of (or wouldn't take on) a WPS team like that would probably be less likely to back out of (or more likely to take on) an NWSL team.

25. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Yes that's the problem. Unless AEG is committed, you're no better off using the Dynamo than the Aces.